bowflex

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Wolf, May 22, 2006.

1. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

Wow! So according to bowflex they're the reason this "50 year old grandmother" looks the way she does. :D Talk about a miraclt machine.

Attached Files:

• WHAT.jpg
      WHAT.jpg
      File size:
      57.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

cos she doesnt work hard outside of 'work', and the possibility of fantastic plastic

3. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

and the guy looks as if he's been training for a month tops. im sold :rolleyes:

4. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

Bowflexs is to exercise what the clapper is to electronics.

Last edited: May 22, 2006
  5. Beowolf

Beowolf Valued Member

Its a small little fad you pray to God never catches on.

6. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

A better investment :D

[​IMG]

7. pablo147

pablo147 Valued Member

8. freak

freak Valued Member

i'm not much for the bowflex, but i would work that granny!

9. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

lmao, no word of a lie, my house mate is about to throw his out :D
    Used once... what a waste, shame i dont buy into fads otherwise i would use it

10. Beowolf

Beowolf Valued Member

It's hard for me to comprehend how these people fall for this junk...

I mean seriously. I don't use anything untill I see results. And not infomerciall results.

Big, heavy free weights = Huge people.
    Most fitness fads = Fat women and skinny boys

11. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Lesson learnt, if I ever find myself being a 50 year old grandmother I'll buy one :D

12. KICKBOY

KICKBOY Valued Member

I think that add is directed at 50 year old ladies who want to spend time with 30 year old guys.
    I don’t think bow flex is any less than the cable machines at the gym, but cables are IMO good for finishing a muscle group, like cable crossovers after flat, incline and decline bench press.
    The big problem I have with the bow flex company is how they say what they say. They have Owen Mcbeel (spelling) advertising their tread climber which has a top speed of 4mph, and he says “get in the best shape of your life.” I have read some of his cardio routines in men’s fitness and the way he gets in shape is running stadium steps with his 40 pound kid in a backpack. He also trains with free weights 5 times per week.
    So do you see what the deal is? Do you think that 50 year old grandmother works out 15 minutes 3 times per week and looks like that?
    IMO if you want to workout at home something like power 90 or TY Beau is a good start. If you want to build muscle forget about bow flex and go to a gym, read some books or even get a trainer (they can’t lift for you) but they can help with a routine if you are not sure what to do.
    The big lie that they insinuate is that it is easy to get in and stay in shape. They go so far as to say it is quick and easy.
    The truth is develop a healthy lifestyle. Make your fitness a priority in your life and pay close attention to it. Watch what you eat, exercise regularly and the next time that bow flex infomercial is on make sure your TV is turned off. Sorry but I got carried away. KICKBOY

13. baqi9

baqi9 Valued Member

Most ppl say this until they get on one and workout. About two years ago I went to a gym and met a guy who use to workout with some professional bodybuilders, and that is the same thing he said. Some friends of mine use to clown on me when we talked about workouts and I brought-up my bowflex. That is until I got them on the darn thing. Now they have nothing negative whatsoever to say about the flex. And by the way I have an older one.

14. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

I used one a while ago. I hated it. I'll stick to my 7' oly bar and plates. :D

15. LiaoRouxin

LiaoRouxin Valued Member

The main problem I had with bowflex is that it didn't feel "smooth" and controlled throughout the motions. I felt simultaneously too coddled by the machine and off-balance, it was really unsettling. I think it adds intensity at the end of the rep, which is bewildering to me

I know some people have complained about not getting enough resistance on a bowflex, but I'm a petite Chinese woman so I dont have to worry too much

16. Athleng Nordic

I have a friend who swears by his bowflex. However he's not made any gains in the two years he's had it. It's his cash not mine.

Last edited: May 23, 2006
  17. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

That's another thing I hated. It's like you're always doing top end work. I hated that.

18. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

That may be true. However, the reality is that if he has used it over those 2 years, he may be in better shape than many of the people who got gym memberships. Most that buy a home gym or join a gym don't continue for very long.

I don't have one and have never used one. But I am not sure why it seems to be getting the flack that it is getting. There are an awful lot of people that have used them and got pretty good results. The bowflex of today has the ability to handle 410 lbs. Very few people have the ability to handle that much weight for reps. It certainly is not designed for the power lifter, olympic lifter, or professional bodybuilder. It is also expensive. However, it is most definitely resistance training and is better than not doing resistance training.

19. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

If by doing top end work, you mean the resistance is increased at the point just before lock out, is that a bad thing? It seems like I remember someone having a training program focusing on single reps with the maximum weight held at the peak of the resistance to work more muscle fibers. I didn't read the whole book but saw it in a book store a few years ago and it seemed somewhat logical but a little complicated to do. Does anyone else ever recall reading something about that?

20. Athleng Nordic

Point conceded, but as you pointed out it's expensive. I can build a very nice home gym, stock up on supplements and stock the pantry, AND start a savings account of the cost of a bowflex. For MA purposes it's junk, for the regular joe it's junk that cost's too much money. But as you pointed out if you buy it and use it then it's better than nothing at all.