Top 5 Suggested Supplements

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Colucci, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

So, Cuch brought up a good question over in the Amino-Hype thread. What are the top 5 nutritional supplements that you recommend/take/advocate/suggest/use/trust?

My top 5 would be (in some semblance of order):

0 - Multi-Vitamin/Multi-Mineral (Multi's are to supplements, what the Horse Stance is to almost every martial art. The most basic. A fundamental that comes before everything else.)

1 - Quality Protein Powder (Some people regard this as food, not a supplement. To me, it's just a very, very essential supplement).

2 - Pre-Formulated Post-workout Drink (Something with simple sugars, some nice whey protein, and other goodies. Right now, I like Surge, but back in the day, I was fond of a pre-bottled mix White Lightening. You can certainly concoct your own, mixing your own sugar and protein sources, but...I like having the work done for me. ;) )

3 - EFA (Fish oil or flax seeds, either way, they're crucial. They're a good source of healthy fats, all those important Omegas, and the anti-inflammatory effects make my "not-so-bad" joints feel surprisingly good. I've heard that the fish oils are more beneficial, but I prefer the ground flax seeds, for some extra fiber, and for convenience.)

4 - ZMA (I absolutely sleep deeper, and wake up more refreshed, when I take it. And having a good night's sleep can be the easiest way to increase energy and just have a good day.)

5 - Creatine (While I don't even remember the last time I used it, creatine can, for many people, be a great supplement. I generally recommend it for pure strength/power cycles, rather than "mass cycles" as it was originally confused with.)

2. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

I can't argue with that really. If I was to add things onto it they would probably be Vit C and B complexes, but as for essentials that about cuts it. I would put EFA above PWO drink.

3. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

That's 6 bewater.....:D[/end being a PITA]

My list:

1) multi vit.
    2) whey protein powder
    3) powdered gatorade to use for PWO (make my own shakes post workout. DO NOT mix lemon lime gatorade powder with vanilla flavored ON... :eek: )
    4) fish oil caplets (I keep forgetting to add this to my diet, which I really should, because I rarely eat fish so I'm probably omega 3 deficient.... :rolleyes: )

4. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

That list sounds good to me. As yet I have no experience with ZMA though.

5. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

White Lightning is a very different drink in the UK :D

Looks similar to mine, but minus the creatine.

6. JokerFMJ

JokerFMJ Valued Member

I've heard of White Lightning before... Only it was a brand of Horse Radish... =D

7. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

:D Thanks BeWata! I notice that Alpha Male didn't make the cut...

8. Colucci

Umm...zero doesn't count as a number. :eek: Plus, you only listed 4. What, are you trying to average me out? My "6" and your 4, average two top 5's? :D

Eh, I'd say it's on par with ZMA, in the sense that, I don't take it every single day, but probably should (and will be restarting in January, after a full month off). Also, if I had to prioritize, I'd make sure you had the first few items in place (protein, EFAs, etc.), before getting to that. And, I didn't want to be too much of a product 'ho. ;)

9. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

LOL, I was also a bit nonplussed when I read it on the list! :D

10. Colucci

Okay, sheesh, what am I missing? Is it that bad? :eek:

11. Gary

It's cider, or a type of apple beer. About 7.5%.

12. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

And also 2 or 3 quid a bottle, haha :D

13. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

But ABSOLUTELY a top supplement BeWater! :D

14. gogz

gogz Crom!

By far the best cider is Blackthorn :D

but anyway lol...I use whey protein.

gogz

Last edited: Dec 19, 2005
  15. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

Zero is a "place holder", but you still listed an item, so it counts in my book.....:D And I know I listed 4, the ying and yang must be kept in balance....:D:D:D

And on a side note....Christmas in 6 days. WEE! That is all. :cool:

16. Gary

actually, the best is found here > http://www.thecornishcyderfarm.co.uk/

None of the fizz, tastes like apple juice, 7.5% and no ill effects the next day at all.

[SIZE=-5]I've been in the westcountry too long...[/SIZE]

17. MikeMartial

MikeMartial Lean and Mean

Mt Top Five

My five, in order of importance:

1) Whey Protien, no explanation needed why it's #1

2) Multi vitamin/mineral, cover your bases

3) EFA's, science backs it up 100%

4) Creatine, works well for me

5) ZMA, only because it makes me sleep better

18. Unisonus

Unisonus Bloody Rare, Please

Folks,

There is something I don't understand. If I already have a good protien powder (e.g. whey protien), why should I buy a post-workout drink? Isn't a post-WO drink just the same old protien with sugar? Wouldn't I be buying what I already have?

19. brahman

brahman Banned Banned

dont use alot of supplements, but i take Ionic-fizz. when i jogged i use to get alot of buring in my cafe muscles, someone sufggested i had a magnezium deficiency, so i took this stuff, it has lots of vitamins, but manly magnezium and potassium.

20. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

Being an ex bodybuilder i would reccommend:

1) whey protein
    2) creatine
    3) cod liver oils
    4) multi vits
    5) a good diet

#5 might sound like a "cop out" answer but how many people can say that their diet is nutritionally sound for the exercise and lifestyle they lead?

Supplements are a supplement to a sound exhisting diet and shouldnt be used as the basis/foundation.

ZMA is used in the bodybuilding world as a natural testosterone booster, it contans Zinc Magnesium and Arginine, its relativley weak for bosting testosterone levels but yes, the most praised side effect is the sleep quality.