One handed BARBELL clean and presses

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by iamraisen, Dec 11, 2005.

1. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

Anyone else do this most lethal (at least to the surrounding area ;) ) of exercises?

Ive been doing them over the last couple of weeks and have been getting some quite good results. I dont have DB's at home so i thought i'd try it with a barbell and the amount of strain put on the supporting muscles is intense as there is much more chance of the weight shifting.

2. gutsglorydesire

gutsglorydesire New Member

Which Barbell are you using? I shudder to think if its the 7 ft one. But really how exactly can we compare a exercise such as this which should give the supporting muscles a good workout but obviously cant be used for heavy wts to a normal Clean and press?

3. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

it is a 7ft one. mixing things up is fun and, with practice, its possible to get some good weights out of it. i normal clean and press too, lots, its just a variation. im not trying to say it will revolutionise the H & F industry :rolleyes: but its a challenging and demanding lift which give you a damn good workout.

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

iamraisen,
    I haven't done what you're talking about with a barbbell... but I have been doing a good amount of snatches lately... cleaning to the overhead catch position.

They're killer and they blasted my quads like never before. Really a killer whole body deal. Traps, stabilizers, shoulders, legs, back. Can't really go wrong with a nice compound/agility lift like that.:D

I have also been working on my bent-press technique. LOL! Just when I thought I was strong... I discovered bent presses. :D

5. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

i love it all. infact im ashamed to say (on a MA forum) that my lifting is more a priority than my MA :eek:

all of the afore mentioned lifts are complete no BS lifts. you cannot 'fake it' if you know what i mean :confused:

6. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

i have used the barbell for one handed execises....even when i had dumbells

great exercises....dl,curls, over head press, snatch and cleans....

work great......but everyone in the gym thinks your a moron :)

7. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

i train at home, but then everyone at home think im a moron too :p

8. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

If there was ever a time to live by this saying:

"Those that mind don't matter... and those that matter.... don't mind"

In the gym would be the time. :D

9. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

oh yeah and bent presses are so difficult. i almost get a hernia thinking aout them.

10. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

You think that is hard? Try a one-handed BB snatch or a bent press!

There's a video of Brad Cordoza (resident AMAZING strongman) on t-nation showing him one-arm BB snatching 60kg with nonchalant ease.

11. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

im checking now :D

12. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

I've also seen a vid of an Olympic thrower doing a one armed snatch with 165lbs with ease!! Btw, I think the video link in B. Cardozas thread is dead.

13. Maverick

Maverick New Member

14. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

If you'll look on on my Inspirational Videos thread, I have a video of me doing a 1 arm bb snatch at 100 pounds. It's the one with the link all by itself. (yes, yes, I know...not a large amount of weight)

Cardozza was the one that inspired me after seeing his 135 a couple months back.

It takes a minute (up to 8 if you have a slow connection)to load up...I need a cheap video host.

15. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

There's bent presses, and then there's side presses. In a side press, you basicaly press up while "tilting" your upper body away. In a bent press, the weight stays mostly stationary for the majority of the movement, while your upper body tilts away, and then you finish with more of an extension movement. Sometimes the terms are interchaged, when in actuality, they're different exercises.

16. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

During one of them the bar also spins around... I can't remember which but it makes it IMPOSSIBLE! Try doing it just with the bar, your palm should be facing you first of all then when you press it should be facing forwards. Someone can find out on t-nation if you can be bothered :D