Whey, is this worth using if you dont weight train?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Reece, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Reece

Reece New Member

I am only asking as people says it has benefits but seeing as I dont do weight training I was wondering if I should bother with it.

2. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

It's food and it's good food, so why not? If cheese is classed as food, why not whey? I will never understand this.

3. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

I think at least here in the US it's classified as food because here in Florida, food isn't taxed (unless it's prepared, like restaurant food, etc., but grocery store food isn't taxed). Last time I got my whey from GNC, it wasn't taxed at all, so they must consider it food? :confused:

4. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Some people just seem to make a big deal out of it, like they're "using" some kind of steroid or something. It's just damn food. If cheese is food, whey is food. Hell, if some of the crap you see coming out of some take-aways is classed as food then how could whey NOT be food?!?

5. Achilles

Achilles Valued Member

whey is protein powder right?

6. Bluesash

Bluesash New Member

Im mending a ol torn hammy with whey!

Slowly though, I dont lift heavy weights, but A lot of Heavy bag work!!!

7. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

Whey protein powder is, yes. But Whey itself is actually part of the milk of cows that settles away from the normal stuff I think. But in this context, yes, we're talking whey protein powder, a tasty FOOD (for Adam's sake...;) ).

8. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Its a food.

When I 1st started eating it my parents were all weird about it. They'd often say I'm "taking to much of that stuff" and random other annoying uneducated parental comments. I would allways reply: "It's just food!"

9. SCP_Kensei

SCP_Kensei www.taintedlover.com

You really should use whey protein whether or not you do weights.

Unless of course you are getting al l the protein your body needs form your normal diet.

Depending on how much you exercise and which "experts" you listen to; your daily protein intake should be between 0.8g protein per kg of body weight , and 1g of protein per pund of bodyweight.

So if you weigh 205 lbs (14st 9lbs, or 93kg) you should take in between: 74g and 205g of protein a day (like I said above depending on how hard you train and which experts you listen to).

Benefits of a high protein diet (whey based or natural) include quicker muscle repair, stronger muscles, and a better capacity to gain strength and mass. There are others, but those are the ones you would probably be most concerned about.

Health risks: Gout Eating too much protein and not exercising enoguh to make use of it is linked ot gout. Gout is a systemic disease (i.e., condition that occurs throughout the body) caused by the buildup of uric acid in the joints. An elevated blood level of uric acid (called hyperuricemia) occurs when the liver produces more uric acid than the body can excrete in the urine, or when a diet high in rich foods (e.g., red meat, cream sauces, red wine) produces more uric acid than the kidneys can filter from the blood.
    Over time, uric acid in the blood crystallizes and settles in the joint spaces, causing swelling, inflammation, stiffness, and pain. Gout usually affects the first metatarsal phalangeal joint of the big toe (hallux) or the ankle joints.

I would suggest totalling up your daily protein intake, checking with the above equations and if you are under then use Whey. If not then dont.

BTW: Whey contains a lot of essential aminos (aminos your body cant synthesise), but you can get these from a number of foods, or from specific essential amino suppliments. Without going the Whey route.

Hope this helps.

10. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

The greater question is, why dont you?

11. fixationdarknes

fixationdarknes Valued Member

I recommend at the bare minimum 1g of protein per lb. of bodyweight. Recommended to get 1.25 or more though. Whey can help accomplish this. Take it with some peanut butter to help slow down the digestion!...unless it's right after a workout or something.

And Prophet, I know exactly how you felt. The way my mom talks about whey and how I shouldn't have more than one scoop a day (I normally get 2-5 scoops a day), you would think she's talking about steroids! It's just food for crying out loud!

Adam, you're right...it's a food! :D

12. Bluesash

Bluesash New Member

Did you know whey protien is better than soy protien

Not by much, myself i only do the whey protien............

13. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

Acctually yeah, by much! Whey is far better then soy, for numerous reasons. However, this has been discussed, do a search instead of asking my why. :)

14. fixationdarknes

fixationdarknes Valued Member

Does it have something to do with estrogen? lol.

15. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

16. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

even without counting the estro problem, soy protein dont get utilized as well as whey anyways.

17. DJHalliB

DJHalliB R3g1st3r3d Uzer

Soy has a bioavailability of 60%. Whey is very close to 90%. No competition.

The dictionary definition of food:
    Material, usually of plant or animal origin, that contains or consists of essential body nutrients, such as carbohydrates, fats, proteins, vitamins, or minerals, and is ingested and assimilated by an organism to produce energy, stimulate growth, and maintain life.

Looks like whey falls smack down in there.