protein food

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by greg89, Feb 17, 2005.

1. greg89

greg89 New Member

what are some good foods with lots of protien in them but not to much bad fat

2. evilkingston

evilkingston 필요악

a quick google showed up this:

Foods high in protein include meats (chicken breast and turkey are low in
    fat),
    milk and dairy products (skim milk and reduced fat dairy products are low in
    fat), soybeans, fish. Soybeans contain about 40 percent protein. Meat
    contains sources about 20 percent. For additional information check with the
    American Heart Association and the American Dietetic Association, web site at
    http://www.eatright.org.

Cereals, rice, potato, corn wheat (and bread and pasta which are made from
    wheat), etc. are an excellent source of carbohydrates. Yams and sweet
    potatoes can also be included. Fruits are mostly water but the dry portion of the fruits is carbohydrates in the form of sugars such as fructose and sucrose.

If you plan to change your diet, consult you family physician. Also, it will
    be good if you can get an appointment with a registered dietitian. Your
    doctor or your local clinic/hospital can recommend one.
    :D

does this help, or is it not really what you were looking for (maybe to general...)

3. MatsuRyu

MatsuRyu New Member

proteins are made of building blocks called amino acids, of which there are 20. there are many vegetables and other things that have some of these amino acids but not all of them that you need. any food with all 20 is said to be "a complete protein".

perhaps the easiest way to get all 20 (the complete protein) is to eat an animal product. all animal products (unless specially processed) contain all 20 amino acids. these include meat, milk, yogurt, cheese, etc.

there are certain combinations of non-animal products that have a complete protein as well. for instance, rice and beans together have a complete protein.

in terms of intaking as much protein as possible, look at the nutrition information on the back of foods you eat. they will usually include how many grams of protein they contain. they do not have the % daily value of protein for you though, because with protein that varies from person to person.

about the maximum amount of protein your body can use per day in grams is equal to your body weight (in lbs.)

hope this helps. :cool:

4. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

Lean meats. Egg whites (highest percent protein by volume of any food). Broccoli. Chicken is good, but also be aware that it has more cholesterol.

5. Maverick

Maverick New Member

I'd stay away from soya, too many plant oestrogens.

Chicken/turkey, beef, fish, all good. Chicken and tuna are brilliant.

6. MatsuRyu

MatsuRyu New Member

oo, maverick, i agree especially w/ the tuna. :D not only does it have beneficial fats and lots of protein, but it also contains vitamins and nutrients that facilitate muscle growth. great food.

7. CX Imran

CX Imran Valued Member

8. toothpaste100

toothpaste100 Banned In 60 Seconds

I eat tuna just about every day or atleast every other day and it is absolutely great for protein. Some weeks I switch it up with Salmon for the EFAs.

9. JKD_forever

JKD_forever DEADLIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

All animal products donot contain all of the 20 amino acids.
    However, most of them contain all of the essential amino acids.
    Get some good quality protein shake.

10. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

You always have to be careful with Tuna/Fish though; if you eat too much, you run the risk of mercury poisoning.

I love fats :) The right ones are good for the human body and offer a massive 9 calories per gram. If your looking to put on bulk; then never ignore fats :)

11. toothpaste100

toothpaste100 Banned In 60 Seconds

If you read further down the article, they say that popular fish including Tuna do not contain high amounts of mercury and you would have to eat over 2.2 pounds of it per week in order to put yourself at any risk. Heck, some tuna samples had so little mercury that it was undetectable to the FDA's measuring devices.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2005
  12. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Lean red meat cuts (sirloin with strip cut off, fillet etc.), chicken, turkey, fish like tuna or salmon (ignore the fat content, it's mostly essential fatty acids that you should definitely have in your diet). Avoid any kind of processed meats. Don't forget a good whey powder either.

13. Eero

Eero Valued Member

Do you know any good internet links where I could find more information about those protein combinations? I would be thankful. :)

14. alister

alister Huh?

Protein

Fish is the daddy in the high protein/low fat stakes, especially oily fish like Tuna and Mackrel as these also contain high levels of heart-healthy omega 3 oils.

Eggs are good for protein, but too many can be bad for cholesterol. Cottage cheese is also pretty good.

In terms of getting some good quality protein, most nuts and seeds are pretty great and contain all kinds of good fats to help both your brain and body ticking over. They make great snacks as protein keeps you fuller for longer than carbs - so maybe mix up a selection of your favourite nuts (the non-roasted and non-salted variety) and some sunflower and pumpkin seeds.

Also, something that a lot of people may not have heard of - Quinoa (pronounced Keenwah) - it's basically a seed that can be a replacement for Pasta or rice - buy it in health stores - it has, for what's basically a seed, an amazing array of amino acids (nearly all of them) - which, as already mentioned, are the basic building blocks of protein.

Remember though - a balanced diet is important so don't exclusively eat Protein - not all carbs are bad - just steer clear of refined carbs (mostly the white, treated stuff, rice, pasta, bread etc - go wholemeal! Also, often better to eat carbs befor exercise, and protein after - helps the muscles repair and rebuild. :D

15. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

I knew I forgot something! Cottage cheese = bedtime meal. Continuous release of protein through the night - the micellar casein is very slowly released.

16. Blooming Lotus

Blooming Lotus Banned Banned

Egg whites and no fat milk are great sources. In fact for an athlete, what you get from these particular sources ( egg and milk albumen) are the very best of bioavailable proteinic recovery. The egg yolks contain essential fats for ppl who can use the calories ( 2 eggs being something like 230 cals ) and the also have a smidge of iron and a respectable serve of potassium ( essentially or heart function and to help restore your electrolytes and blood salts ) .

Tuna is okay and a good option. Also good for arthritis and joint function , braion tissue structure / GH production etc. Providing you don't go ott on complex carb intake, pork is another really good source and digests much much better than say cow meat and also has benifits for your liver function ( responsible for blood filter and so on ) .

A good mixed protein shake you can pick up easily at a supermarket or health store for around $25 and one glass made up with no or low fat milk should give you around 30 gms min protein. if you are going high protein though, besides a higher water / clear fluid intake , you will need frequent soluble carbs to aid it's metabolism ( fruit and veg or wholewheat sources of crackers or bread if you must best choices). But because your carbs also need to be aided in metabolism, you also need to incorporate a vitamin B complex. You can get all of the above from say nutrigrain or Weetbix cereals etc , but if you're watching your complex intake you may want to explore something like a b / c complex berrocca. Awesome stuff, and at best advice take it around 3 - 4pm with your biggest complex carb serve and an hour or two pre evening work out .

Obviously , turkey and chicken are also good for protein and meats have some, and ham is okay, nuts, peanut butter, dairy products, beans and legumes ( who said baked beans were rubbish anyway????) . If you check out the nutritional info on the packs of your processed foods ( if not as youre buying , at min before you serve ) , you'll probably again be reasonabley surprised ;).

If you're good , and read enough labels , you can find protein sources that are low fat, low salt ( 100 mgs or less ish of sodium per serve ) , and which have a whole range of other really great stuff you'd other wise need to eat something else to get. Nutrition is a major of mine and a personal pedanticism ( rant point ) , so if you have any questions, there are plenty of us here so feel free to ask. ;)
    cheers

BL

Last edited: Feb 19, 2005
  17. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

Egg whites on their own are an incomplete protein. You need some yolk for the enzymes to make the protein complete and bioavailable. Same with vegetable proteins - they are incomplete too. If you have beans, for example, combine them with corn to get the complete amino acid chain. Learn the good combos for complete proteins.

18. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

Curdled milk, ick!!! Any other suggestions? I do yogurt.

For regular intake I do beans and rice with chicken or fish.

19. evilkingston

evilkingston 필요악

beans and corn... now that could catch on :D
    I'm definately gonna try make a recipe containing both of them...

I'm thinking fresh tuna in the oven with some onion and sesame oil... (20min - 180°C) finish it off with hot beans and cold corn (or corn wraps?) and some nice dark rice :p yummy...

20. midnightsun955

midnightsun955 Valued Member

Tuna is a miracle. I eat tuna everyday. mmm mmm protein.

:D