let's raise the bar...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by ninjamonkey, Feb 8, 2005.

1. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

With performing regular squats I have a bit of a dilemma. I could probably squat about 70-80kg, i don't know... Because I can't get the bar above my head. Today I did regular squats, I could do the squats fine, once i got the bar onto my neck, and getting it back off my neck was even harder. Is this natural, do I just need to keep doing it with my 35 kg weights and wait until my upper body's strong enough to get the weights over my head? Is there any functional advantages of having the strength to put the bar over your head anyway? Questions questions, so annoying.
    Thanks.

2. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

I'm not quite sure if I'm following you. Regular squats are done with the bar resting on your traps or somewhere near there anyway. Are you trying to perform an overhead squat? If so, remember, your arms can't compete strength wise with your legs, so you'll have to use A LOT less weight doing overhead squats than regular back squats.

And yes, there's always a functional advantage in being strong (that includes lifting a bar over your head).

3. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

i think what he means is that he doesnt have a squat rack. in which case the only thing you an really do about it is either make one (not sure how) or buy one.

4. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Ahhhh...well, he can always do hack squats.

5. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Or front squats, or clean-press-overhead squats, or clean-press-back squats, or snatch-overhead squats, or snatch-back squats. They guy's got some options. :D

Monkey, I'd suggest continuing using the heavier weight, and include either the clean and press or the snatch in your other workouts to assist you in getting the weight overhead. The only thing is, you want to be careful. You don't want to get the bar up, and have it come crashing down on you as it gets into position.

Since you listed your weight used in kilograms, I suspect you aren't in the states (see, I've watched Columbo!). But, it really is in your best interest to invest in a power rack, I'm sure someone on MAP can direct you where to find one. Your exercise options, and results, will go much further.

6. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

Well I don't mind the sound of the rack, and I don't mind the idea about getting stronger to get the weight above my head. The problem is with the latter is that I assume I'd be able to squat about 80 and I don't see me able to be getting that over my head in the near future, and I don't want my legs to just be waiting around for my arms to get better. Can you describe some of those variations of squats for me bewater, I've never heard of some of them.

7. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Snatch - A great way to use the whole body to get the bar off the ground. Keep a boatload of speed on the bar as you move it. Think "Fast-fast-explode-fast-fast".

Clean & Jerk - To make this a clean & press, don't drop into a lunge at the end, keep your feet in the same stance throughout.

Overhead Squat - Once the bar is over head (after either the clean/press or snatch, this full range squat could follow. Or, once the weight is up, carefully lower it to the back of your shoulders, and perform a back squat.

8. MattN

MattN Valued Member

Didn't that Milo guy tilt up a barbell with some huge number of weight on it, get under it, then squat it? Don't remember where I read that.

You could probably get 2 workout partners to go and lift up the bar while you get under it too. A rack is probably your best option to get the most weight going though.

9. spacepimp

spacepimp Valued Member

First and formost unless you are in a squat rack, it is best to have someone spot assist you everytime you do squats. Squats are great exercise when performed correctly but it can also lead to serious injury if something goes wrong, especially once you start getting into some of the heavier weight ranges.