weight lifting

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Lance Uppercut, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Lance Uppercut

Lance Uppercut New Member

ok from what i understand there are 2 types of weight lifting. Lifting more weight less reps and less weight more reps. Less weight makes your muscles more cut and more weight makes them bigger. So what happends if i do both what would the result be and can it be dangerous.

2. Maverick

Maverick New Member

Less weight doesn't make your muscles more cut. Heavy weights make them bigger; therefore more cut. To be "cut" you need big muscles and low bodyfat, which means lifting big, and eating right.

3. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

ok if your goal is be strong like gorrilla then you have to lift heavy. not like bodybuilders more like powerlifters(and it works too), less weight on the other hand gives you cut look but almost no strength and I found the cut look goes away if you stay away from training for a while..
    -TkdWarrior-

4. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

You're wrong dude. More weight less reps means size. Less weight more reps means definition (being cut). It's a fact. Hence the fact lots of body builders are not cut and martial artists generaly are...because they do lots of lighter work as opposed to less heavy work.

5. Shisochin

Shisochin New Member

do you want big muscles full of air or small toned solid muscles. i would advise you go for less weights and more reps. thats may increase the size a little...but your muscle WILL be more defined and compact. Once they are solid...then go for the big weights to increase the size.

6. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

sorry buddy your wrong there. for a start most body builders are defined, but if they arent it isnt because of the weights they do, its because of diet or lack of cardio exercise. all you need to look 'cut' is to have a low body fat percentage. as a martial artist you should be training for strength rather than appearance anyway, but if you wana look ripped then do high weight low rep exercises similar to a weightlifter. there arelots of articles on this forum about weight lifting and strength training- the high rep low weight thing is a myth though.

7. Maverick

Maverick New Member

That's what I said, dude. Size + Low fat = cut/shredded/ripped

8. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

ok can people please stop posting about things they obviously have no idea about? low weight/high rep will do jack. if you want strength, compound exercises (bench, squat, deadlift etc) are the way to go with low reps and heavy weights. "toning" is for body sculpters, housewives, and the misinformed. you will not suddenly bloat up with slabs of muscle from weights, and if you think that being big makes you slow you need to go and see some pro heavyweight boxers/kickboxers/pride fighters

9. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

YAY! Ikken Ikken rah rah rah!!!! :D

Ahem... Yeah, I agree :D

10. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

*LOUD APPLAUSE*

11. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

I must give you props also, Ikken. I think someone mentioned nutrition and therein lies the key to "being cut." Lifting weights only go so far in getting you "cut", the rest is in nutrition and some kind of cardio work.

12. Lance Uppercut

Thanks for the info

13. toothpaste100

toothpaste100 Banned In 60 Seconds

If you lift heavy with low reps and low weight with high reps, your muscles will explode. So stick with the heavy weights :D

14. Lance Uppercut

What do u mean by explode? Your saying doing both at once is dangerous.

15. EndlessNerd

EndlessNerd Valued Member

From what I understand, the low weight/high rep method is more about the form and speed, in that you need to explode into the excercise (while maintaining control) its a plyometric principle. Its the quickness of the reps that facilitate the power (speed+strength), as it conditions your muscles for explosive bursts of power. as for being cut, as far as I know, that all about your diet. I've read that Bruce Lee combined the two, doing heavy weights for strength, and lighter weights for speed, so that the muscle didn't develope tightly and he wouldn't lose any speed.

16. blessed_samurai

Bruce Lee's workout has been looked at and examined; he did not lift heavy.

Lance...he was just kidding

Yes you get explosiveness by lifting fast, but this does not mean at high reps. You can gain explosiveness by lifting very heavy weight, using speed exercises with roughly about 50% of your 1RM, or by doing ballistic exercises at about 20-30%.

17. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

all the gains that Bruce made in strength/speed was from his high weight workouts. His low weight/high reps did next to nothing. If only Bruce knew that... think of how strong and fast he would have gotten with his crazy will power!!

The whole myth about low weights for cutting up originated from bodybuilders. When bodybuilders reduce their caloric intakes before competition to "cut up", they normally HAVE to reduce the weights in their lifts due to the reduction in strength from the reduction in calories.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2004
  18. blessed_samurai

Har Har,

If body builders would strength train on a hypocaloric diet, then usually a reduction in weight is not necessary. But also, body builders do much more than just go on a hyper caloric diet, that's kinda simplifying it...they go through dehydration, calorie deficits, and much more to achieve their results.

19. hazzamoffin

hazzamoffin New Member

Just to throw in my bit, if i were you i'd stage it. When i was on the rugby team at school we did few reps high weight with the supplements and although i got strong i felt sluggish. Also i got too big, benching 110 kgs at 17 is excessive.

I'd do the low reps high weight initially to gain strength and bulk, whilst using MA trainig to keep some speed to what your doing. When your at a size and strength that feels good for you keep the weigh the same but increase the amount of reps you can do. This might not make you look 'cut' but it will give you strong conditioned muscle that packs power and endurance in a fight. Overall its just more useful.

I now do only 90kgs on the bench but i do 4 sets of 20 reps and it feels better and more useful than when i was young

And nutrition is always important, much better than supplements in y opinion

20. Gortov

Gortov New Member

With years of weight lifting under my belt I still find it amusing that so many people think they will suddenly get huge and slow just by lifting some heavy weights. Bodybuilders get the way they are because:

A) They lift for size not strength
    B) They eat for size
    C) The professional level ones which everyone is scared to look like are full of drugs.

Weight lifting in its own will not make you huge. Do some reading and plan out a good program to suit your needs. You will get nothing but benefits.