what are some hiit workouts?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by doublekick, Oct 13, 2004.

1. doublekick

doublekick New Member

i don't know if it is hiit but it's the workout for martial artist. and i want to know a few workouts, so i can last longer while im fighting my fastest

2. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

Are you asking about some kind of personal training where you train to take a hit?

3. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

Or are you talking about HIT (High Intensity Training)? Boy am I confuzzled... :confused:

4. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

No, no, he's talking about high intensity interval training. It's running with intervals.
    A good program I've used in the past;
    http://www.trainforstrength.com/Endurance1.shtml

Look into tabata. It's a simple but incredibly hard workout where you run hard for 20 seconds, then jog for 10. Repeat 6-8 times. I can personally say that this is the hardest damn running I've ever done.

5. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

Oopsies...:D Nevermind then!

6. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Rowing machines are good for HIIT.

I tend to do 3 x 2 min rounds with a 1 min break between each after a free weights session, rowing on full resistance as hard as you can.

It's also a reasonable simulation of the effort put in during a Kickboxing match (rounds wise).

Col

7. Athleng Nordic

WOW! I've always enjoyed rowing. So do a 2 minute full-out burst, then hit the weights, then burst again?

I'll try this using a kayak along the shoreline.

8. Freeform

Oh no, I made it sound wrong.

Do your weights session, and thats the weights over.

Then 2 min on the rower, 1 min break

Then 2 min on the rower, 1 min break

Then 2 min on the rower, Finish (or go sprint a mile on the treadmill ;) )

9. Athleng Nordic

Oww, OWW, OWW!!! I'm hurting from just thinking of that. The running part that is! :p

10. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler37.htm

HOC is a wicked cardio workout, and wil improve your anaerobic capacity like nothing else. This link describes it as a fat burning method, but if that's not a goal as well, just be sure to keep your daily calories high (possibly higher than average on your workout days) and it won't be a problem.

11. Freeform

I strangely find the running to be the easist bit, but I suppose my brains kinda switched off by that point ;)

12. Athleng Nordic

Running a mile is fine, it's the "sprinting" part that causes my mind to hemorage. :woo:

13. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Think in terms of a 'best effort' run. i.e. about 1500 race pace.

14. Freeform

I normally aim to do it in 6:30 min, but it's normally closer to 7 min. Once I make it in 6:30 I'll have to make the rowing harder ;)

15. ClubbellTrainer

ClubbellTrainer Fitness Coach

I had great results with Taku's HIIT from www.trainforstrength.com as mentioned above.

I'm not a running fan, so I used an elliptical trainer. AirDyne bikes and Stairclimbers work well too. A tip on it that I got from Scrapper is that you set the machine resistance to zero and simply go as far as you can each session. Try to go further each session than you did before.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2004