push-ups

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by munkiejunkie, Oct 12, 2004.

1. munkiejunkie

munkiejunkie sanity's requiem

I just thought you would like this exercise
    it is brutal

One-Arm Side Push-Ups.

1. Lay on your left side, legs straight and feet together.
    2. Place your right hand on the floor at chest level. Your fingers should be pointing toward the top of your head as if you’re performing a traditional push-up.
    3. Depending on the length of your arms, and strength levels, your right hand should be placed about 4 inches away from your left pectoral region (further away if you’re stronger).
    4. Bend your left arm and place your forearm behind your head so your head is resting on it (as if you were using it for a pillow while sleeping).
    5. With your right hand on the floor, tighten your abs/glutes, and push yourself up off the floor while keeping your body rigid.
    6. Lower down to starting position under control and repeat.
    7. Perform 2-3 reps before switching to the left arm.
    8. Rest 60s between sets and perform 6 sets.
    This is one brutal sumbitch of an exercise; definitely not for those with a low tolerance for pain, or for those with average, or slightly above average, maximal strength levels. This is a very advanced exercise and I’ve only encountered a few trainees who can perform it properly. If you can perform them properly, you’re in the elite. Initially, if you can’t perform them throughout a full ROM, do the following:
    1. Hoist yourself to the top position.
    2. Hold for 5-6 seconds isometrically (no joint movement).
    3. Immediately switch to opposite arm and hold.
    4. Rest 90s between sets (after using each arm).
    5. Repeat for 6 holds on each arm.
    6. Perform holds for 2-3x/week.
    Once you can perform the aforementioned holds, start performing 1/4 movement Side Push-ups. From the top position lower yourself a few inches before pushing back up. Rest and repeat as prescribed in the original parameters. Before long, you’ll be performing a full ROM

2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

very difficult indeed, but its more a test of strength than a strengthening exercise.

3. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

lol it took me a while to do it! whenever i pushed my body raised, my hips stayed on the ground and my feet went up in the air! had to really concentrate on my mid section to take them up aswell

4. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Wow, those are impossible.

5. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

Impressive! :eek:

6. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Pretty cool.

7. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

im sure it is but don't forget what me sensai says "it only hurts untill the pain stops"

8. Ophqui

Ophqui Valued Member

im not getting this at all, i've printed out the instructions and layed on the floor with them and i still cant see how this works. It feels like im pushing with my legs more than my right arm, its weird. any chance of pics?

9. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Hurray for core strength!! It's extra tricky because there's no leverage to start with, no chance to cheat your way up at all. Very nice...but very advanced.

10. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

The less leverage there is, the more challenging a bodyweight exercise is. This is why normal press ups are bobbins and things like sternum chins are great.

11. Maverick

Maverick New Member

Just googled them. Wow, gotta try them next time I do back, they sound like fun (in a way!).

12. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

didn't knew they are called sternum chins... good stuff..
    -TkdWarrior-

13. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

Dude, those are killer "pushup things". I definitely need to work on these suckers! :D