Push ups help!!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by KyokushinTraine, May 27, 2004.

1. KyokushinTraine

KyokushinTraine New Member

hi guys
    i have been struggling to do push ups.....wonder if there are tips or advice you guys can give me for my push ups...
    i do karate training, currently orange belt, but I can only do about 40-50 push ups depending on condition...
    is there any tips upon doing push ups?

2. Grifter

Grifter Edited by White Wizard

I heard about pryamid pushups from YODA and did them that waya few times are they hurt bad. I also told Shortfuse about them and he said hes been doing them and that they have worked well. So maybe if you try though it will help out. Seems its working for others.

3. Pepsi32123

Pepsi32123 New Member

You should be happy for doing 40-50. Since you can do such a high number, you might want to do more reps of a lesser number. Maybe do 2 sets of 20 or 3 sets of 15. All ways still work on endurence and strength, though.

In case you don't konw, the pyrimid push ups are going 1-2-3-4-5-6(so on), then 5-4-3-2-1. You just work to a number, then work back down again. Since you can do so much, you might want to do evens. 2-4-6-8-10-8-6-4-2. You might be able to go higher than 10, but it'll take a while to adjust a schedule. Give yourself about 15-20 seconds between each set, and just sit on your heels as you rest. If that doesn't work for you, do clapping pushups. Try one clap, maybe two, really good would be three.

If you want to really do a push up, hand stand next to a wall and to wall push ups. I can do about 35-40 regular push ups, but I can only do about 8-10 wall push ups. Good luck with figuring out a schedule.

4. KyokushinTraine

thank you for the advice
    but btw, are those 2-4-6-8-10 numbers of repetitions?

5. Buddroux

Buddroux New Member

yah ... i tried that ... it works good ....

will it work for sit ups...

6. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Hi,

I presume that you mean Press-Ups.

Mix in different permutations of techniques to vary your pushups and get a greater range of exercise.

a. Hands together.
    b. Hands wide apart.
    c. Hands shoulder width apart.
    c. Feet together.
    d. Feet wide apart.
    f. Feet shoulder width apart.
    e. Legs crossed (only one foot is in contact with the floor).
    f. Feet raised. (18 inches or more).

eg a and f, b and c, etc etc.

There is also the 'one arm pushup' :D

Cheers. :)

7. KONI

KONI New Member

don't forget that push ups are based upon your body weight and therefore (I don't know your shape neither your weight) perhaps you can't do that much, although I think that 40-50 are quite much.

I am normally much stronger than other people when it comes to lifting weights but I can't do that much push-ups because I have a "problem zone" around my belly where I still think I am to fat.

I can do +/- 20-30 reps, I am 1,90 meters, and 80 kilos.

8. RobP

RobP Valued Member

Try doing sllloooooww push ups - at least a minute up and a minute down. You need to keep the body relaxed and learn how to use the breathing to best effect.

9. Xio

Xio Controlled Chaos

A thing just like that is to make combinations in the one set.
    As in: do say 10 normal push ups, then go down and hold it, then another 10, then go down halfway and hold it. Then repeat about 3 times more for each set. Do as many sets as you like. The "Holding" time can be anything from 20 seconds to 2 minutes.

10. Bruce_Wee

Bruce_Wee New Member

breathing is very important, if your breathing is not right then you will run out of breath very soon and feel fatigue, inhale when you go down, exhale when you push up.
    unlike bench press, pushups require functional strength - core strength, so you might wanna improve your middle section too, now get up early and do some pushups :D

11. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Give the Pyramiding a try.

Make sure you actually pyramid, i.e go up to a managable number, AND back down again.

Are these knuckle push ups, or regular flat palm push ups? For your grade, 40-50 is plenty enough to see you right for a while, but there's nothing wrong with forward planning and getting those numbers up! :)

12. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

The question is - why do you want to?

13. Pepsi32123

Pepsi32123 New Member

Breating is very important. Weight lifters know to breathe. If you don't breathe when you work out, spar, lift, whatever, then your body won't get enough oxygen for what you're doing. The result, you could pass out. If you're bench pressing, military pressing, or curling, do you really want all that weight on your heat, shoulders, feet!?! Exhale on the most excesive energy, and inhale when you're using a minimal about of energy for that workout.

I spar with a guy that gets out of breath, and he hardly moved. He's in very good condition and shape, but breathing while flexing right takes harder hits. I'd twist kick, or something, in his stomach, and he uses a breathing technique and doesn't feel full pain, but rather a small fraction of it.

14. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Try to put your legs up on like a box or something, and then do it, so that when you are in the "up" position, your body is horizontal.

PL

15. Freyr

Freyr Valued Member

In addition to grading requirements, there are also the bragging rights :p

Also I think having high bodyweight endurance can be of some use in heavily grappling based arts, wrestling in particular (well sport in that case)

EDIT: oh whoops, i thought the question was "Why would you want to?" as opposed to "Why do you want to?" - my bad :D

16. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

pyramid push ups are great, give it a try , they work :D

17. KyokushinTraine

thnx for the advice~~^^~~
    I am looking forward to a belt test..and its part of the grading to do push ups
    I am jus trying to plan ahead I guess..
    but I seriously think I am out of shape..
    I am not that tall, about 171 cm
    and I weight 71 kg..
    my chest is about....38 inches~
    arm is around 13 inches
    are these ok numbers? or...?

I want to learn more techniques to improve the numbers of push ups I can do, so it will be more comfortable for me for future belt tests.

18. Nerevar

Nerevar A son of a mother

Get yourself on and incline (feet on something) and do some SLOW pushups with your index fingers touching and thumbs touching making a diamond shape. Then do some with your hands far apart (put your arms out in a "T" and bend your elbows 90 degrees, do 'em like this.

19. Xio

Xio Controlled Chaos

Yeah , these push up variations work well. By having your hands centered you'll be working more on the tricep and far apart more chest.

20. Nerevar

Nerevar A son of a mother

Yep Xio, You'll get outer and inner pecks, back, triceps, biceps, and legs with one workout!