Acupressure

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Chazz, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

I am a huge fan of acupressure. I started wanting to learn it when i strained my neck in a sparring match. My instructor started using the points in my arm and finger and 15 min. later the pain was about gone and i was able to move my neck again. Now i study it often on my own. I would love to find a place to teach me but there isnt any around here.

So members, post your thougths on Acupressure.

-Chazz

2. waya

waya Valued Member

I don't have alot of knowledge on the subject other than what I have heard from others that are involved in it. But there are alot of people both in and outside of martial arts that swear by it as a form of therapy. I am thinking of picking up a couple texts on the subject if anyone knows any good ones.

Rob

3. Chazz

No but i had a few sites on it. If i can find them i'll post them for you all.

-Chazz

4. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

A few sites for anyone who maybe interested:

http://www.acupressure.org/

http://www.acupressure.com/

http://www.holisticmed.com/www/acupuncture.html

All I did was put in Acupressure Books in the search engine and all sorts of things came up (?)

http://www.personalhealthzone.com/acupressurebooks.html

http://homepage.tinet.ie/~bomi/books/acupressure.htm

Hope this helps :)

Melanie

5. Chazz

The best site i have found is this:
    http://www.geocities.com/jrh_iii/acupressure/acupoints.html

enjoy,
    Chazz

6. Thomas Vince

Thomas Vince New Member

Very good instructor

Okay, this info is very good is there a way I can contact your instructor? I want these results and coould not find them even in "china town New York" when I was knew where to look. Is your instructor Korean?
    Thomas

7. Tseek Choi

Tseek Choi Banned Banned

There are many self-study and distance tutored courses available.
    Try http://www.naturalhealthsciences.com/course_list.html

They have a 12 lesson accupressure distance learning course. This would be a good place to start.

hope this helps
    Colin......................

8. Chris from CT

Chris from CT Valued Member

Hey Chazz
    I'm all for acupressure! :) I go to school in New York City for acupuncture and there are a couple of books I highly recommend for anyone interested in acupuncture or acupressure.

A Manual of Acupuncture by Peter Deadman & Mazin Al-Khafaji
    This book is great for specific, detailed location of points and is very well written as far as the commentary for each. It runs about $120.00, but if you're really into researching points and applications it's well worth the money.

Kiiko Matsumoto's Clinical Strategies - Vol.1 by Kiiko Matsumoto.
    It just came out. This is another costly one, but Kiiko's style is so effective. She tests her points using acupressure to make sure her treatment will be effective.

Acupuncture Imaging: Perceiving the Energy Pathways of the Body by Mark Seem
    This book is great for all styles of bodyworkers as well as acupuncturists.

If your interested in studying acupuncture you can go to...
    http://www.acaom.org/SchoolistNov2001.htm
    to see if there are any accredited schools in or near your area.

If you are interested in asian bodywork (Shiatsu, Tui Na, Acupressure, etc.) there are many sites, but one you can go to is...
    http://www.aobta.org/index.htm

I hope this helps.
    Take care. :)

9. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

You'll also find some book recommendations at

www.shiatsu.8m.com

a rather groovy site set up by someone not a million miles away.

Mike

10. Guitarboy1212

Guitarboy1212 New Member

what is the difference between acupuncture and acupressure

11. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

in puncture u puncture the body(on nerve pionts) thru needles n in pressure u apply the pressure
    -TkdWarrior-

12. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

now that acupuncture has been mentioned...
    i've heard different comments about acupuncture. sometimes it helped, but sometimes it didn't. in my area there was a doctor who did acupuncture, but very soon nobody even mentioned his name anymore. so much about his carrier. but not long time ago a chinese doctor moved here and he does also acupuncture. so people keep saying that they want to see him. but if he is chinese it does not mean that he is excellent.

is there a way u can somehow check someone out, i.e. see whether or not he/she is good at acupuncture (besides listening to other people's comments)????

Chazz, i hope u don't mind me asking this question. i know it's not the topic of this thread.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2003
  13. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

Depending which country you are in you may be able to find some sort of regulatory body for acupuncture or any other complementary therapy. I would generally go to see therapists who are accredited with these nationally recognised bodies. You may get excellent practitioners who are not accredited in this way, but generally you take less risk seeking out the accredited practitioners.

Mike

14. Chris J.

Chris J. Valued Member

Hello,
    Here are my particular favorite two texts on the topic:

Eachow Chen, Crossectional Anatomy of Acupoints
    P.E. Baldry, Acupuncture Trigger Points and Musculoskeletal Pain

The first yields the best neurological descriptions of the classical acupoints that I have seen, with drawings made from functional MRI images with needles implanted in cadavers, while the second contains probably the best modern neurological description on how the practice of acupuncture/acupressure really works in the body.

Using the second book to develop an understanding of how things work yields insight into how acupressure can be used to block minor pain due to small injuries experienced during training. The Pain Gate theory is detailed, also the anatomical structure of reflex arcs found in the spine.

Someone said that the difference between Acupuncture and Acupressure was that one breaks the skin while the other does not; this is true but there are some more differences than just that.

Sometimes a point will work when needled, but not when pressed, due to the stimulation by the needle of deep underlying structures inside the body. Thus, not all acupoints will work well as acupressure zones.

Also, acupressure is by nature much less precise.

Finally, in some instances the balancing of ionic charges between two tissues or areas that are 'shorted' with a needle is a part of what makes the acupoint work (not always); obviously this would not be a part of acupressure. (looking into this involved viewing the acupoints as vestigial organizing centers that originally orchestrated changes in tissue proliferation during the ontogeny of the human form. As the human animal grows, these centers come into play by driving the changes that make us grow into what we are. After maturity is reached these centers remain, and many of them correspond with the classical acupoints. investigate Gap Junction Ionic Transfer with respect to this for more information).

-Chris J.

15. Bulldog

Bulldog New Member

16. shunyadragon

shunyadragon New Member

I've studied acupressure for many years and research old techniques.

Today acupressure uses mostly the thumbs and also fingers applied to a selected number of points of the body today. It is much more ancient and wide spread around the world than acupuncture. In the Late Neolithic and early dynasties in China they used special pointed stones shapped like a fat pencil for accupressure. Some of these special stones are related to a meteorite impact in Shandong Province. Ancient techniques of acupressure used more points of the body than to day using the stone tools.

In India and likely the early history of Buddhism in China the Dorji or Pruba (A small double clawed device that may also have been used for a weapon) was used in accupressure. Today this tool is seen in statues and paintings in Buddhist temples and used by priests in ceremoies twirled in the hand during prayers and meditations.

The Iceman found in the Italian Alps had the accupressure or acupuncture points tattooed on his legs.

My interest and goals in research is to make and study some of these older tools used in ancient traditional medical techniques.

Japanese Arts of the Way schools commonly teach acupressure.

17. zun

zun New Member

My MA teacher is fully qualified in acupressure and acupuncture.

Pretty kewl - when someone is hurt or suffers from muscle complaints, he comes along applies a bit of chi to the point. Two minutes later they're good as new.

His wife also was pregnant with their baby. Unfortunately at a later stage in the pregnancy - the baby was in a breach position a short while before delivery.

He pressed a point on the shoulder and the baby turned upside into the best position ready for delivery.

Very inspiring. Will take it up later after my MA training. Unfortunately it's a 4 year course!

18. Tittan

Tittan Valued Member

A few years back I bought the G-Jo course, and I still havent found the time to do anything other than browsing trough the books a few times.
    Is this something I should spend some time with, or are there other "systems" that will be better?

19. texas doc

texas doc Valued Member

i know this advice might sound patronizing, but i would suggest to find a good tcm school, and avoid learning from web sites...

20. TigerAnsTKDLove

TigerAnsTKDLove Ex-TKD'er 2005.

hmmm i wanna try this accupressure... would it work by chance on headache/migraine pain?