olympic lifting

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by jackolino, Apr 3, 2004.

1. jackolino

jackolino New Member

olympic lifting and strength training

would you say you have strengthen yourself with the basics compound movements before trying olympic lifting? Like squat, deadlift, clean and press and pull-up? Or can you start ol straight away?

Also what is a good strength training routine, would it be a split, lower and upper body or a push/pull. Im just wondering what routine to use and to split it up. I wanna gain a good base of strength then eventually move to a power orientated workout. Any tips would be much appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2004
  2. Kat

Kat Valued Member

Best to get some formal instruction on form, inparticular Snatch.
    That and concentrate on O lift break downs.Even these I would recommend some formal advice and corrections.Warm up and stretch comprhensively.
    Break Downs will strengthen and develope strenght and power depending on routine and goals.
    Hang Clean/Hang Power Clean/Hang Squat Clean
    Overhead Squats/Front Squat/Squat/Squat Clean
    Deadlift/Power Clean
    Push Jerk/Push Press/Split Jerk
    Clean& Jerk/Snatch on platforms if available
    Others to consider
    Turkish Get Ups
    One Armed Dumbell Snatch
    Dead lift High Pulls
    Bent Press
    Kettlebell Work
    Comprehensive Ab & Core workout
    Apporach
    Many different routines,best to decide your goals and structure accordingly.Search the net and links provided or better yet ask your coach.
    Hope thats usefull.

3. Old Tiger

Old Tiger New Member

unlike powerlifting and basic "pumping iron" olympic lifting is very athletic and for your own safety and proper development you should, as stated above, by all means get with an Olympic lifting coach. Otherwise you could seriously injure yourself. In my opinion, Olympic lifters are among the strongest people overall that you will encounter. It requires expert help and regular training, however.

4. jackolino

jackolino New Member

thanx alot kat and tiger for your replys and advice, it was really useful, I appreiceate it.

5. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Like has been said before, Oly lifting is very technical, and professional technique advice is the best, and safest, way to go. I'd definitely suggest developing a foundation of strength before attempting anything Oly. Check out www.drsquat.com/index.cfm?action=viewarticle&articleID=8 for Dr. Squat's good word on Oly lift training.

As for you split routine, that would depend on your goals, as well as your available time: How often are you studying martial arts? What's your cardio training like? How are you weight-training now? Post these answers back up, then we can figure something out.

6. jackolino

jackolino New Member

I havent started any proper weight training yet but im really interested in learning oly lifting but Im going to build a foundation of strength first. I also dont practice martial arts yet because im injured at the moment but i have been interested for a long while, so as soon as im ok im going to be looking for a club. Its been really annoying because there are so many things I want to do, but i have injured my shoulder when I was playing football and that was about 6 weeks ago. Im not sure want it wrong with it. I will definately seek professional coaching, thanx a lot for your help bewatermyfriend!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2004