Sumbradda?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Chase, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Chase

Chase New Member

Hi, What does the word, "Sumbradda" mean? and how do you practice it, and what do you think is its practicality in a fight?
    Ingat ka,

2. Jax

Jax New Member

I don't know what it means but the drills associated with it probly means something obvious like drill.
    It's practicality it to teach you to react to a situation without having to think about it, take punio sumbrada for example, it teaches you to look out for the punio if someone perrys your thrust and to be aware that the weapon can still be used when you have hold of his hand and when you have done these drills for many, many, many hours it will all become second nature....thats the idea anyway.

Personally if i got into a real stick fight (yeah, thats likely :D) i would just for for powerfull fast strike and aim to smash their hands, knees, temple because this would end the fight instantly.

my spelling of philipino words is rubbish sorry, well tbh my spelling is just rubbish in genereal :)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2004
  3. DeeTee

DeeTee Valued Member

sombrada

Hi,

I think it comes from the word "Sombrero" (as in the hat) and is used as a term for protecting the head. Payong sombrada (box pattern) is usually initated with a head strike defended with a roof block (payong). My spelling is probably crap as well but I think it's the general idea.

4. surgingshark

surgingshark Valued Member

note: "payong" is tagalog for "umbrella"...

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Yep - DeeTee knows that I'm sure.

Umbrella / Roof block are names for the same thing (or closely related) in many FMAs

6. shootodog

shootodog restless native

they mostly are related (if not the same thing). depends on who's teaching.

7. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Well, the word "sombra" means "shade" or "shadow" - makes sense for "sombrero", eh? And I think "sombrada" or "sumbrada" uses the same root word. In relation to the FMA I've always heard it as "counter-for-counter." And, in that vein, some systems refer to the drills as "contra y contra" - literally "counter and counter".

Mike

8. punong_guro

punong_guro New Member

sumbrada as i was taught by Maestro Armando Angeles means to trade counter for counter also in reference to roof and umbrella we dont call them blocks because they are in essence strikes to the hands the difference as i was taught between a roof and umbrella is that the umbrella flows from roof position around the back as to hide the angle the return strike will come in at,hence it is called an umbrella as opposed to the roof which draws across the body after initial block/strike and resembles the way the shacks roofs are in the philipines one only has to visit to understand this and the drill can begin at any point it doesnt nessacarily have to begin with a roof or umbrella it all depends on what angle you are reciving the strike from as to what you anser with also simbrada is a name for the range in witch it takes place also called medio and it is a circular drill "round like a sombrero" but there again there are many different teachers and each has his own method hope this was helpfull to anyone :D

Last edited: Apr 15, 2004
  9. Chase

Chase New Member

Thanks p_g, It was very helpful as I practice Kali & JKD from a chair & all my targets have shifted from the standing angles. For example,shoulder to hip becomes hip to knee.
    Ingat ka,
    Doug

10. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

I think sumbrada is good only if u can use it to teach u 2 fight . It is a good way 2 praktis fighting moves and not hurt ur Brad. Many times sumbrada becomes da main hocus pocus den dey bcome good only at da drill. Dat is y many call Pinoy drill paty cake, wats dis paty cake? Sumbrada teach u coordination and balance ip you focus on your porma! Den U hab to try to b able to break down da drill like if u make mistake Ok lang, basta fight and den still get back into da drill. Dis shows control of skill and control of ur focus to fight and adjast. Drill is to teach to 2 fight di ba? Not just 2 build skill, skill without purpose..waste ur time.

How we do sumbrada? Many Many variations u make it up.what is important is quality. Pirs we do 2 learn porma and balansa, real angols and strikes, not oberly exagerated moves basta yung real feed. den if u 2 r good at dis u do paster and real hits, better if you have protection. Insurance and lawyers expensive, but worth it to hit lawyers :D Den u do it and spar , but when u spar u must use somepart of the sumbrada in the sparing, hindi not just bara bara ...wild hits. U go in and out of da drill and drill like you fighting not paty cake. U must analyze y manongs come up with dis movement so U understand not memorize moves because real fight never like drill fight. In real fight U use only part of sumbrada dat works during fight.

salamat chongs!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2004
  11. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

TYPE PROPERLY OR FEEL MY CAPS LOCK ONSLAUGHT!

Seriously, I think any kind of txt language should be banned from the forum. It should be in the rules when someone first signs up.

12. YODA

13. punong_guro

punong_guro New Member

Well,Maybe I'm too forgiving but when one obviousely cant speak english properly because their english is their second language it's fine by me however one communicates as long as i can read it and understand what they are saying i have no complaints.

14. YODA

We've sorted this out already and moved on. Check out Bayani's more recent posts - his English is excellent.

15. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

But there's a difference between using poor grammar/spelling because it's your second+ language and using poor grammar/spelling out of laziness or because one thinks it's "cool."

The post in this particular thread wasn't as bad as some I've seen - but, I'd wager that he knows that "you" is not spelled "u" or "that" is not spelled "dat" or "then" is not spelled "den." Etc.

Things like "praktis" I can forgive - I think that's the tagalog spelling of "practice", right? But it does get annoying to try to sift through slang. Even when it's unintentional. When it's intentional, it's downright frustrating.

Mike

16. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Oops. I was typing my response when you posted this :)

Mike

17. pug32

pug32 Valued Member

I second that, I cannot speak any other languages so I can be in no place to critise any one for that

Those posts made my head hurt, had to read it aloud to work it out......

aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh old age setting in at 25 :eek:

//chases off after misspent childhood :D

18. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

Anyone else affected by the Filipino Jedi mind trick via computer text? but Yoda's force nipped it at the bud, try not to force yourself to read it and it will loose it's power and move on. You could use oracions and anting antings common to FMA art but the simple look away and move on works better. It was a mistake as a newbee to forums won't happen again from my posts at least I will translate when I do use Pilipino words.

Mabuhay ! (long live!)

19. ranger

ranger New Member

again, only in the Phils? :D nah.. they're just common here in the provinces i think. i bet you have these, right? maybe incidental to your practice of arnis but by the looks you have. :D

20. shootodog

shootodog restless native

brad, the provinces are part of the pinas right?