What is the difference between the Kamagong, Bahi, Tindalo and Labsica sticks?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by tonymok125, Apr 17, 2004.

1. tonymok125

tonymok125 Valued Member

Hi guys!
    Could someone help me, what are the differences between these sticks? Are they just different weight sticks?

Oh another question, I'm in interested in purchasing some heavy sticks but don't know which to buy. Any good tips on which ones and where to buy?

Thanks guys!!! :D

2. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

Labsika is a type of rattan, good quality if u can find it...not here in Pinas.
    Kamagong is like iron wood, used to make buttons, petripied. Bahi is also good hard wood and Tindalo 2 but Tindalo and kamagong are endagered and illegal to cut now. If already cut is Ok to bring with U. De hard woods r good 4 fighting and weight training not for hitting, students complain of pain. Also not fibruce like rattan. rattan good to absorb hits. Hard wood vibrate too much if used to train impak to impak on weapon not student so student come back again 4 next lesson. Hard woods r 4 fighting! matigas! no need for bayagra :D

3. david f

david f New Member

Hi Tony,

There are many stick suppliers as I am sure you are aware. The problem I have had in Australia and here in the Philippines is that some people sell sticks that are not kamagong and will tell you they are kamagong. :woo: Often you will find these sticks have been painted a darker color in order to con you. I purchased some "Kamagong" sticks in Quiapo and then I obtained some from Master Nilo Limpin. When holding both pairs, it is obvious the heavier stick and stronger one is the one I purchased from Master Nilo Limpin. This was also confirmed by Grandmaster Vicente "Vic" Sanchez who said the ones from Master Nilo was genuine.

Personally I have a pair of each and they all serve the purpose. The kamagong are especially good for your solo training. The labasica is a type of ratten buthas knodes which are closer together.

4. deCadena

deCadena New Member

hi,
    i think the best for training to strengthen your arms is to go with bahi. kamagong has a weird characteristic of shattering...

david,
    where in Aus are you from? Have you brought sticks from manila to aus. am going to Australia in a couple of months and i was wondering as to the legality of bringing training sticks and wooden knives???

best regards

5. shootodog

shootodog restless native

pare! you're the best!

6. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

Maraming salamat shootodog, kewl na type mo ang katuwaan natin. (tanks 4 liking jokes) U like 2 shoot dogs? Good pulutan especial of pampanga! Ip training 4 heavy stick to makes arm strong use nalang bakal (isteel) Pipes jast as hebigats and not kill 3's of da Pinas! we hab landslides during tyfun season , lak of 3 planting. Good rattan is hard 2 find here, we harbest 2 early, export the good rattan , no more 4 us left. Hab to buy from Indonesia or Thailand :cry: Maybe FPJ will change it? :confused: :D

7. david f

david f New Member

deCadena

Hi. I have returned to Melbourne, Australia previously and had absolutely no trouble with the sticks and training knives. One of the guys who trains with us had one of his relatives from here bring some sticks to Melbourne for him and they encountered no problems.If you are talking about wooden training knives, you will have no problem. If it is a metal training dagger, ensure that is is 100% dull. Double edged blades are illegal also.

You are better off taking your own sticks as in Australia there are martial arts store owners selling fake kamagong sticks for AUS$100 a pair. the bahi they sell is also from a young tree and though they don't last very long at all, they also sell for AUS$100.

8. deCadena

deCadena New Member

david,

thank you for the insight. I simply need to declare them at the customs when i arrive....

best regards
    :)

9. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

This is an English speaking forum.

Please...

1. Type in English. You obviously know how.
    2. Type in real words rather than text-speak. There is no limit to how many characters you can use - this is not a mobile phone.

10. ranger

ranger New Member

:p bwehehe :D

11. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

Kool Ka lang, if U don't like what i rite den don't read it. Is only words das all. :rolleyes: I thnk der is nicer ways to ask, maybe PM is better? next time ask nicely maybe I write better. Wala bang etiket dito? (Is der no etiket here?) did not know dis was for AmeriKano , saw previous listings with Tagalog speak , Chill out with da force Yoda :love: This is only katuwaan (for fun) and education Don't take too serious, maybe I put translation after my slang Of taglish. Will that do? Im faster with mobile text, itis habit. will try to write beter basta (but) promise not to make fun of my speling?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2004
  12. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

This is not open for debate. Try posting the above in English and I'll respond to you. If not I will simply delete it.

13. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

I see, then thank you for a fun visit.
    Mabalos (regards)

14. estudyante

estudyante Valued Member

kamagong is called macassar ebony or philippine ebony. bahi is simply palm wood (from coconut trees). how bahi is hardened i don't know. hope that helps

15. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Valued Member

kamagong and bahi; australian ironwood

I have kamagong and bahi sticks and like them both. I've also bought Australian ironwood sticks from Mark Hoza and have been very pleased with his craftsmanship and the weight and density of the sticks. Australian ironwood is a very good substitute for kamagong, in my opinion - in fact I prefer it. The appearance of both woods is different: kamagong is very dark whereas ironwood has a burnt umber appearance. Nice grain underneath. Mark's website is:

http://www.woodenflutemaker.com/

Best,

Steve Lamade

16. estudyante

estudyante Valued Member

thanks steve, i'll check it out. how's your new venture. i remember training with you on a cold winter day with my friend and teacher Rob. it was quite cold that we ended up training in the studio that you use in whitestone. i learned a lot that day.

17. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Valued Member

Australian ironwood

As Charlton Heston might have said, "They can take my stick away when they pry my cold, frostbitten hands..." or something like that. I remember that winter day very well - Rob's a nice guy and a great teacher. Pretty scary with a latigo...

My wife and I moved out to East Northport in August. I've spent the last few months setting up my practice (see website below my signature) and may start teaching a group class again in a month or so. A friend of mine and I may teach a compare/contrast seminar highlighting espada y daga techniques of Pekiti Tirsia Arnis and San Miguel Eskrima this spring - I'll keep you posted. Give my best to Rob.

Best,

Steve

18. estudyante

estudyante Valued Member

steve,
    checked out your site, great stuff. now i know where to find you,hehehe. good luck and i'll convey your well wishes to Rob. by the way a little master is on the way for Rob and Yan!

best regards,
    jose

Last edited: Dec 2, 2004