Reasons to Lift (BRO!)

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Pretty In Pink, May 24, 2013.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I was wondering if there are right and wrong reasons to lifting, much like martial arts when we had a discussion about that guy who was intimidated by his girlfriend.

So I wanted to lift to gain weight, and generally look more physically attractive and boost my self esteem. Is this a good reason to lift or a bad one?

Also, I bought some weight gain, called Smart-Tec Complete FX.

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I reckon the best reason would be because you liked it?

MItch

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I lift so as To crush my enemies, see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

oh and injury prevention and getting chicks to notice my insanely sculpted pythons, brah..............

4. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  5. Dead_pool

weight gain is generally just protein with a shed load of sugar added to it, arnt you competing in MMA soon?

6. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

So you want to lift weights to get all the things that weight lifting is supposed to do for you . . . . . . . . . . .

Shut up and start squatting and deadlifting Chad! This shouldn't even be a question!

7. Pretty In Pink

Yeah, weighed myself today. I could put on 4 kg over the next month and still weigh in correctly :/

8. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

to paraphrase Henry Rollins 'friends will come and go, but 200lbs will always be 200lbs'. there should be another saying, to add to this: 'a 100kg quarter squat is still just a quarter squat'

9. Dead_pool

knocking back piles of sugar will just make you slower and fatter then before.

weightgainer isnt called muscle gainer......

10. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I lift for the same reasons you do, as well as to improve my musicianship (strength+cardio endurance=improved musicianship), injury prevention, and general quality of life. :) So, from my perspective, your reasons are good. :cool:

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  11. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Because martial arts involve hurting other people, it's easy to have a "wrong" motivation to learn to fight.

Unless someone wants to be stronger so that he can beat his wife :bang: there's no wrong reason to lift. Wanting to look better is a legitimate goal (bodybuilding); wanting to improve sport performance or martial art performance is another (weight training), wanting to compete in lifting as a sport is another (competitive weightlifting or powerlifting), wanting to be strong for the sake of being strong is another (recreational weightlifting or powerlifting).

Weights are awesome.

12. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

This. I'm not convinced that those "weight gain" powders are ever a good idea. My understanding is that the best "recovery drink" is plain ol' chocolate milk, and you need to be lifting hard to even be considering needing a recovery drink at all.

13. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

You're only young once, you might as well look like a golden god for at least a little bit of your life. At least, that's why I lift.

14. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Any reason to lift is a good one.

15. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

A golden god eh? What if you don't have that complexion? What if you're ebony, or ivory, or red or bronze?! I don't know anybody with a golden complexion except white girls who use too much fake tan spray. :baby:

16. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Since I don't get any sun, I tend to be more like a pale god.

17. righty

righty Valued Member

These are good reasons.

They can be taken too far though. You can look at people with body dysmorhpic disorders for that. But for the typical person wanting to look better is a good reason to lift.
    Bleh bad. And a waste of money. Weight gainer shakes are generally protein, sugar and other unidentifiable and useless rubbish. If you really wanted to go in this direction making your own shakes of the stuff that actually works (protein and carbs) is very easy and will end up being cheaper and of a better quality.

But real food will be even better.

18. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I thought it was more of an evaluation of the god rather than a race thing. Y'know, golden, silver, bronze. My face is red. Maybe just look like a [your skin color here] god by lifting things and putting them down.

19. Pretty In Pink

So would I have been better off with recovery drink or something?

20. Dead_pool

a balanced protein shake and enough kcal per day is all you need.