"Minimalist Guide to Mobility"

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Kuma, May 4, 2013.

1. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

http://roglawfitness.com/the-minimalist-guide-to-mobility/

This is a pretty good blog post about how to incorporate mobility into your daily routine. I like the approach in which you just pick a set time and a few exercises, and try to fit in as many sets as you can in 5-10 minutes (depending on how long you want to devote to it). I usually try to do 10 minutes of mobility on days I train, and at least 5 minutes on days I don't. I think it helps a lot, especially in terms of warming up the body for training, and I like this approach because it's a minimal investment for big gains.

I typically work with 5 different exercises for 5-10 reps apiece then add in some leg raises at the end, so it ends up being about 8 exercises total (for the 5 minute workouts, I typically either don't do the leg raises or I do them for a few sets after or later on that day). In about 10 minutes you can get 3-5 sets depending on how much you hustle and what exercises you are doing. Currently I'm doing two from this list (rocking ankle mobilizations and shoulder dislocates) and three others from other sources (Russian pumps, high knee pull to spiderman lunges, and shiko no kata from sumo). It's a fun warm-up, gets your heart pumping, and it focuses on an area we all tend to neglect from time to time.

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I love this stuff. I do something similar (although not as often as I'd like to).
    I always incorporate some variation on the Yoga sun salutation and spinal twisting in there.
    Some hindu squats and hindu press-ups (they fit in easily into the salutation structure).
    Some Karate kihon too. Rocking ankle mobility could easily fit in when doing downward dogs.

3. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I'm a big fan of Russian pumps once I got into doing them regularly. It's basically upward dog and downward dog, just held for a few seconds each

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I love these simple movements and since I had my back injury these stretches and mobility exercises keep the demons at bay.

5. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

My shoulders seem really stiff these days, especially the right one, maybe something to do with the weapon work. I'm gonna have a go with these exercises today before and after I do my "shadow boxing".

6. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Nice find, something I've been looking for recently too. I try and stick in mobility work with a light warmup and joint rotations, but always feel like I might be missing a spot, and keep looking at different routines. This one seems to look good.

7. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

The pumps and the dislocates seem to help my shoulders some. The best thing I've ever found for my shoulders though is the RKC armbar. It is awesome.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFnoEKJvMH4"]RKC Arm Bar Tips - YouTube[/ame]

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Excellent, Thanks Kuma.

I have a real problem at the moment with the anterior deltoid on the right hand side. I'm definatly giving the RKC Armbar a go.

9. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

Checkout mobilitywod.com you can search for things like "wrist pain" and there are videos listed that come up. You can even email him, and ask, he will do his best to get back to you and put a up a vid demo.

*edit* its down for maintenance, but will be back soon.

10. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Another nice mobility complex. This one is one of my favorites so far. I've done the four exercises here and Russian pumps 2-3x through, then my dynamic stretches for quite a few warm-ups and it's been working out great.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtYTTPgOZdk"]Mobility Complex - YouTube[/ame]

11. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Great stuff! Thanks Kuma!

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Thanks Kuma :)