position of the feet in a standing military press

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Gripfighter, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

Should they be together like an actual military stance of attention or shoulder width apart like most people would normally do when lifting a weight, iv herd conflicting info on this, the latter would seem more logical but the former would explain how the exercise got its name, or is it just open to interpretation like how some people put the barbell behind there neck instead of in front when doing the exercise.

2. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

I don't think it matters as long as your shoulders don't track behind your hips. Which tends to happened if you're trying to lift too heavy.

3. Jabby Mcgee

Jabby Mcgee Valued Member

IIRC, the military press is traditionally done with heels together, although this is an antiquated practice, and in my opinion is unsafe. When your feet are shoulder width apart, that is the overhead press. It is ostensibly the same thing, exercising the same muscles, except the OHP is far safer in terms of balance and stability.

Even though the military press was traditionally performed with heels together, the name has now become synonymous with the OHP.

4. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Until 1972 the mill press was an oly lift and done with heals together however that was more a comp thing to check for cheating (leg drive)
    I'd just do it shoulder width.

By the way, NEVER do it behind the neck.

5. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

I don't and never would it was just an example of how some people interpret the exercise differently

6. shouldercarge

shouldercarge Valued Member

i end up doing this with my over head lifts,is there anything i can do to help form-wise?

7. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Keep your core tight and really focus on good form. If you still can't do it take 5lbs off and try again =]

8. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

The lock out position should be above the back of your head. Lots of drilling with a fairly light weight should get the motor pattern developed

Also lat mobility, and rear delt work.

Your body is trying to involve the strong chest muscles to shift the weight, hence the standing incline bench, just takes drilling to break the habit.

Tight lats may be preventing you from locking it out at the right place and your rear delts may be to weak to take weight in that area.

They're just the three common causes, however you can never have too strong deltas, to healthy lats and too good technique so it may be worth working on all 3.

9. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

What's the difference: military vs. over-head press?

On an unrelated note, I think it's funny when people say shoulder press...I wonder if they also say leg squat? :p