The 50 Kicks Challenge

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Unreal Combat, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Introduction

Inspired by my recent contribution to the Khem '50 Kicks' Fundraiser (permission gained from Mitch to include a link to the source that inspired the challenge) I thought I would set a challenge to the members of MAP.

The Challenge

The challenge is simple. Set the fastest time for performing 50 kicks, on either leg (or both if you feel like showing off), on a set of Thai Pads.

I have posted my original contribution below to demonstrate the challenge.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kSoJ3Vsxzc"]50 Kick Challenge[/ame]

The Rules

You must, obviously, record your entry with a fully unedited video.

You may only post one entry video to enter yourself into the challenge, so make it count!

The timer will start when the first kick lands and will end when the final kick lands.

You must be a member of MAP.

I will close this competition at 00.00 on the 1st December 2013 GMT00+.

The Prize

Other than being known as the fastest kicker on MAP (maybe we can get you a special award tab made up for that) the MAP member who posts the fastest 50 kicks entry will receive, from me, a free pair of handwraps. I will honour this prize to the winner regardless of location.

Good luck!!!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

We did this in class today and it certainly tests your cardio.

I did manage to finish all 50 while my students were on 40, but I don't in any way expect to be able to keep up with you younger, fitter guys.

If I get the chance again I'll post a video for comparison.

3. Unreal Combat

First off, well done for having a go at it and completing the challenge. I look forward to seeing a video of you in action! :)

It's a lot harder to do than people think it is. The idea is to maintain a good rhythm and start at a steady pace so to not burn out toward the end.

For your reference here was my first attempt at the challenge which was taken a couple of days before my revised attempt.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvSaXTOCkTM"]MT8 50 Kicks - Lei[/ame]

As you can see in my first attempt I really went for it with the power from the start and ended up burning out toward the end causing me to lose my rhythm and ultimately sacrifice time, where as in the final attempt (posted in the OP) I managed my pace much better and finished strong.

The average time is around 27-28 seconds, though the fastest time recorded for the challenge was 21.1 seconds (I think).

My time, in my final entry, I recorded at around 28.4.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  4. Unreal Combat

There are three days to go until this competition ends. Get those videos in quick if you want a chance to win a pair of handwraps.

5. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Brilliant competition mate.

Gonna try and get my TKD instructor to video me doing this, i think this will be fun.

Baza

6. Unreal Combat

Yeah it is good fun. A good workout too. :D

7. Rhythmkiller

Do we have to use Thai pads? can we use any from of pad for the video?

Baza

8. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I might try this if I remember tonight. Not sure I can do it in under 25 seconds but it'll be fun to try :hat:

9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

If you guys don't post a video I'll shoot something, be the winner and you'll forever be humiliated by the old guy. :D

10. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

We used to do this when I did Kung Fu. Watching those videos, it's a bit scary to think that I used to be able to do that. If I tried it now I'd probably have some kind of seizure. :cry:

I wasn't as fast as they were, but we had to put a bit more 'oomph' into the kicks, rather than just tapping the pad with our foot. Otherwise we'd have to pay Mr Press-up a visit.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  11. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Its giving me horrible flashbacks of my K1 grading and having to do those pyramid kick things where you do 2 then 4 then 6 etc etc. I only had to go up to 22 and that was hideous.

12. Unreal Combat

Thai Pads are preferable, that way there is no complaint if someone wins using different pads than Thai Pads.

Doesn't need to be under 25 seconds (the record time to beat on the fundraiser was 21 seconds by the way). You just need to be faster than anyone else on MAP who actually posts a video.

There's quite a fair bit behind it believe it or not (enough to hurt my foot from repeatedly catching the edge of the furthest pad anyway). The video quality doesn't really do it justice. Though admittedly I used more power in my first attempt, but it got me nowhere as I was done by about 35 kicks, so I throttled back on power a little for my second attempt.

I really do rate the guys who can do all 50 kicks at full power though. Some of the entries were just incredible.

They are horrible, especially at full power. I used to do this with punches first 1-10 then 10-1. 3 sets. Then do the same with kicks.

Was done in after that, lol.

13. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

if i don't use pads it doesn't count right? just to double check.

14. Rhythmkiller

Old enough to know better but young enough to do it anyway!

Baza

15. Unreal Combat

Correct. To keep the competition fair for everyone you should use Thai Pads please.

If you're planning to use human ribs as pads then please post it anyway. :D

16. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Can we use any trolls we might catch?

17. Unreal Combat

For fun you can. :)

18. Rhythmkiller

Ok guys,

Here is my 50 kicks. Clocks in at 28.75 secs. Firstly a couple of omissions. In the absecence of Thai pads i had to use just a pad. It was an after thought after class when is was getting ready to go. Also i am a yellow belt so the kicks aint great, nor is the video. Was all such a rush and had to podge guys together to get it done but for what it's worth and the fun challenge it is i present my 50.

Props to Unreal Combat for coming up with a great fun challenge!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qsFrhgnuv4"]barry does 50 kicks - YouTube[/ame]

Baza

19. Unreal Combat

Good effort. :)

20. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

umm any kind of kicks btw? i forgot to ask that or technically turning kicks? I can't do it but was just wondering because you only mentioned 50 kicks unreal combat.