Martial Arts Planet  

Go Back   Martial Arts Planet > Articles and Reviews > Health And Fitness Articles
Supporting Members MAP Shop Banned User List Terms of Service

Old 02-Dec-2013, 07:56 PM

The University of Bonn has undertaken research into the way caffeine changes the way the heart beats.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25156509

Quote:
Energy drinks packed with caffeine can change the way the heart beats, researchers warn.

The team from the University of Bonn in Germany imaged the hearts of 17 people an hour after they had an energy drink.

The study showed contractions were more forceful after the drink.

The team told the annual meeting of the Radiological Society of North America that children and people with some health conditions should avoid the drinks.

Researcher Dr Jonas Dorner said: "Until now, we haven't known exactly what effect these energy drinks have on the function of the heart.

"The amount of caffeine is up to three times higher than in other caffeinated beverages like coffee or cola.

"There are many side effects known to be associated with a high intake of caffeine, including rapid heart rate, palpitations, rise in blood pressure and, in the most severe cases, seizures or sudden death."

The researchers gave the participants a drink containing 32mg per 100ml of caffeine and 400mg per 100ml of another chemical, taurine.

Short-term impact

They showed the chamber of the heart that pumps blood around the body, the left ventricle, was contracting harder an hour after the energy drink was taken than at the start of the study.

Dr Dorner added: "We've shown that energy drink consumption has a short-term impact on cardiac contractility.

"We don't know exactly how or if this greater contractility of the heart impacts daily activities or athletic performance."

The impact on people with heart disease is also unknown.

However, the research team advises that children and people with an irregular heartbeat should avoid the drinks.

The British Soft Drinks Association already says the drinks are not for children.
Old 05-Dec-2013, 06:34 PM
Banned

How fast can you say DUH? Of course they crank up the heart rate, their job is to release adrenaline...
Old 05-Dec-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microlamia View Post
How fast can you say DUH? Of course they crank up the heart rate, their job is to release adrenaline...
Well done. Thank you for this useful addition.
Old 05-Dec-2013, 11:28 PM
Hold strong not

caffeine is pretty crazy

check this study which found carbs and caffeine together prevent decline in performance during intervals of sprints, jogging, jumps and skill tests in football

http://www.researchgate.net/publicat...70893349af.pdf

A cleaved skull no longer plots.
Old 05-Dec-2013, 11:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Well done. Thank you for this useful addition.
I didn't mean it as an attack on anyone, lol, I just couldn't help noticing they're stating the blindingly obvious. XD
Old 09-Jan-2014, 12:58 PM

An advertising campaign for the drink Lucozade Sport has been banned.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/25650519

Quote:
A TV ad and poster received 63 complaints over claims it "hydrates and fuels you better than water".

The drink's former makers, GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), said that two health claims for this kind of drink, a carbohydrate-electrolyte solution, had been authorised by the European Union.

The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) said the claims were not accurately reflected in the adverts.

They have ruled the adverts can no longer appear in their current form.

The television advert showed two groups of men, one drinking water and the other Lucozade Sport, running on treadmills while being monitored by technicians.

A voiceover then said: "At the limits of your ability, you need to replace the electrolytes you lose in sweat, keep your body hydrated, give your body fuel.

"Lucozade Sport gives you the electrolytes and carbohydrates you need, hydrating you, fuelling you better than water."

The poster featured an image of a professional rugby player and stated: "Hydrates and fuels you better than water."

GSK, which sold Lucozade and Ribena to Japanese firm Suntory for 1.35bn last September, said the adverts represented the authorised claim "carbohydrate-electrolyte solutions enhance the absorption of water during physical exercise".

The company also said it "strongly believed" that people would realise that Lucozade Sport provided calorific energy, mostly from carbohydrates, whereas water has none and could not therefore be said to provide "fuel" at all.

"Common sense dictated that the claim should be acceptable, because consumers were unlikely to misunderstand it," they added.

The ASA said the campaign did not make it clear that the benefits of the drink would only be got during prolonged endurance exercise.

They added: "Even if we had accepted that 'fuels' was an acceptable rewording of the authorised claim 'contributes to the maintenance of endurance performance during prolonged endurance exercise', we noted that that claim did not make any comparison with water, and we therefore considered that it would not have been acceptable for GSK to state that the product 'fuels ... better than water'."

One of the 63 complaints came from the Natural Hydration Council, a body which represents bottled water sellers.

Their general manager, Kinvara Carey, said: "We are pleased with the decision by the ASA to uphold our complaint regarding the high-profile Lucozade Sport advertising campaign.

"There is already much confusion over the role of sports drinks and for the majority of people participating in exercise and sporting activities, water is all that is needed for effective hydration."
Old 09-Jan-2014, 01:25 PM
She who MUST be obeyed!

About time this sort of dodgy advertising was stopped. Given the number of overweight people in gyms using sports drinks after spending 10 minutes on a treadmill, GSK's claim that
Quote:
" it strongly believed" that people would realise that Lucozade Sport provided calorific energy, mostly from carbohydrates, whereas water has none and could not therefore be said to provide "fuel" at all.

"Common sense dictated that the claim should be acceptable, because consumers were unlikely to misunderstand it," they added"
is obviously not true!

Quote:
'The ASA said the campaign did not make it clear that the benefits of the drink would only be got during prolonged endurance exercise.'
It's lying by omission of the qualifying factors, which is far too common in the media these days - particularly in regards to 'science' reporting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
One of the 63 complaints came from the Natural Hydration Council, a body which represents bottled water sellers.

Their general manager, Kinvara Carey, said: "We are pleased with the decision by the ASA to uphold our complaint regarding the high-profile Lucozade Sport advertising campaign.
This made me laugh though - talk about pot and kettle, the bottled water industry is just as bad - particularly those selling 'vitamin' and 'health' waters!
Old 09-Jan-2014, 07:14 PM
Valued Member

Bottled Water----someone ought to sell "Bottled Air"

....... for what its worth is to keep it real, martial arts are not always about fighting at all, even when your sparring. Sometimes its just about fitness and learning some technique. .
Old 22-Jan-2014, 12:17 AM
Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Well I don't know a lot about a lot, but one thing I do know is this, I haven't drank hardly a single soda or a single sports drink in almost six months and I've been working out now everyday for the past year and at the age of nearly forty I have a six pack on a good day and I can now run three to five miles at a time let me add that I'm knocking out about ten to twelve pull-ups and about forty five or so knuckle push-ups in under two minutes, and if I never ever drank a sports drink I don't think it would hinder me one single bit.