Judo/Ju Jitsu whats the difference.

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by clumsybob, Mar 31, 2004.

1. clumsybob

clumsybob New Member

I hope this isnt to dumb a question, when I was much younger about 8 or 9 I studied Judo for several months and then again for a few months when I was 15. Sadly I didn't keep it up and nowadays I kickbox.
    However when I studied the term Judo and Ju Jitsu were to me one and the same. Since joining MAP this is obviously not the case, so to a newbie what is the difference.

Bob

2. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Basically,

Judo is a combat sport, a form of Wrestling with a big Jacket on. You aren't allowed to kick or punch but the aim is to land your opponent flat on his back. To do this you can use all manner of throwing techniques. Also you can score a win by making your opponent submit (tap out), you can do this whilst fighting on the ground by either an armbar or choke. You can also win by pinning your opponent on his back, on the ground for 25 seconds.

Ju Jitsu is more concerned with self defence than sport and you will learn most of the techniques in Judo plus striking techniques.

Thats a very rough description but give the general jist.

Cheers,

Col

3. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

add to the fact that jujitsu also allows leglocks and wristlocks when you roll. Brazilian jiu jitsu, also has variants of the guard and is specialized in grappling as compared to judo which has takedowns but basically allows only chokes, gi chokes, armbars and shoulder locks.

4. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

Ju jutsu

Or Ju Jitsu Was The Empty Hand Fighing Method of The
    Samuri Using Chokes Arm & Leg Locks & Striking That Was Efective
    Against A Man Wearing Armor , Judo Was a Sport That Developed Out Of Ju jitsu,,,, How Ever There Are Modern Sport Ju Jitsu Turnament By Groups

Such As The United States Ju Jitsu Federation
    The Skill Level Is High & U Can Strike Wrestle & Use Are & Leg Submissons
    as Well as Most Chokes. For More Info Check out There Web Site.

Judo & Ju Jitsu Are Related So For Them To Look Simalar
    Should Not Be Suprising=-)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2004
  5. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

which would you suggest for wingchunners who want to have better ground work?

how many years of either does it take till you start focussing on ground work? i don't really care to implement the guards, strikes, ect just more of the locks and ground fighitng skills that i need if i get taken down

6. Hybrid_Killer

Hybrid_Killer New Member

If you want pure ground work id suggest brazilian jiujitsu.Good takedowns and dominates on the ground.

7. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

cool, thanks:) i'd hate to have to rely on my single leg take down and half nelson from age 5. hehe

8. Hybrid_Killer

Hybrid_Killer New Member

:D

9. capaloco

capaloco New Member

Which are the guard variants of BJJ? Spider guard? I'd like to know about them so that I can ask my Traditional JJ sensei if we can add them to our groundwork. We in fact do a mix of Japanese and Brazilian so I guess we'll probably learn them.

10. redbull

redbull New Member

I will have to disagree with u on this, while it is a fact that judo ground work is more limited on the ground (No leg locks, neck cranks) i would not say that Brazilian jujutsu dominates judo on the ground. I do mainly judo but once in a while train at a BJJ school because they do more no gi stuff than we at the judo club and I'll have to say that BJJ does not dominate judo at all, as a mater of fact most of the time I come out winning because of the great ground control that u get from doing judo( judo guys do not like to be pinned, BJJ guys don't care, but in order for u to do most submissions u have to have a dominant possition which is very hard to get on a judo guy). Furthermore when the BJJ guys come over to the judo gym they in no way dominate the ground work is more like a 50/50. also since we work on fewer submissions that the BJJ we tend be alot more effectives with these sub. Helio himself was defeated by a judoka named kinmura. u can read about it here:

http://www.judoinfo.com/helio.htm

11. Hybrid_Killer

Hybrid_Killer New Member

Maybe the judo schools around me aren't as good or something...because when we have a little comp here at the bjj gym what usually happens is that the judoka throw us on our heads(trust me they are very good at it :D ) but we squish them on the ground.

As for kimura...i dont think anyone here will fight a judoka of Kimuras calibre he was just a freak. :cool:

12. capaloco

capaloco New Member

Anyways note that there was a big physical difference between Kimura (93 kgs) and Helio (63 kgs). So Helio was 2/3 of Kimura, a lot.

About Judo groundwork compared to BJJ groundwork, I think BJJ wins.
    Still there's not a huge gap between them so the real difference comes from how good your instructor is and how good you are.

13. Hybrid_Killer

Hybrid_Killer New Member

I agree wholeheartedly.

14. Furikuchan

Furikuchan New Member

For the historical aspect, Judo was actually an off shoot of Jujitsu.
    Jujitsu had already been practiced in Japan for around 800-1000 years. Then, in 1882, Dr. Jigoro Kano started developing a safer sport-oriented form of jujitsu that he called judo. Dr. Kano was not a big man. He created judo to help the smaller people who couldn't keep up the rigors of jujitsu training. (i.e. couldn't punch hard.)
    Well, Dr. Kano's real reason for creating judo was to take out all the stuff that was getting people injured in jujitsu, and yet still teach the core of throwing and grappling. Well, sort of.
    The ultimate goal of judo as defined by Dr. Kano: The harmonious development and eventual perfection of the human character. So I guess he also wanted to teach the moral aspect of martial arts through judo, as well.
    Hope that is enlightening.

15. redbull

redbull New Member

Yeah it really depends who is teaching this judo guy's. At the school i train at we do newaza (ground fighting) every class. Sometime the whole class is newaza so that helps alot.

16. Stick

Stick New Member

Modern BJJ is based on traditional jj but it is modern and stylized for one on one mma fighting. I have a hard time believing a samurai would use a guard for 30 min. on the battle field, maybe one on one but still...

Judo is a form of jujitsu that uses throws.
    BJJ is a form of jujitsu that tends to use mostly newaza, ground work.
    TJJ is just that, traditional. So you get the wrist locks, throws and ground work. The emphasis is different.

Stick

17. nekogami13

nekogami13 Master of all I Survey

Add to the Judo/Bjj debate that Bjj is old style pre WWII judo modified by the Gracies. Everything in Bjj should be in judo-due to olympic competition focus it is not(at most schools).

18. totality

totality New Member

there are many variants of the guard. i personally use these 3:

butterfly guard-feet are hooked behind opponent's thighs. usually go for underhooks, also. good for sweeps, and i often set up combinations centered around the omoplata from here as well, using underhooks to off-balance them.

x-guard-saw marcelo garcia doing this at the adcc tournament, and found that it works really well for setting up leglocks and taking the back. works well when someone stands in your guard. (except for mma, i've discovered, when someone drops a knee on my face, unless i go for a kneebar IMMEDIATELY :D)
    http://www.grapplearts.com/X-Guard.htm (pics of the x-guard)

rubber guard-requires quite a bit of flexibility. basically closed guard, but then you hold onto one of your ankles with your hand. excellent for setting up triangles, and the omoplata.
    http://www.grapplearts.com/Rubber-Guard-Setup-1.htm (pics of rubber guard, by the man himself, eddie bravo)

i've found these things work well for no-gi sub grappling. enjoy!

19. Scaramouch

Scaramouch Lost Soul

Alot of people forget, when Kano developed Judo it was intended as an improvement of JuJitsu - not just Jujitsu with all the "good" stuff taken out to create a sport. IMO his view was to remove the injury-related techniques and concentrate at getting good at the techniques that can be practised safely at full-speed/power against a non-complient opponent in the dojo. The view being that when you take these techniques outside the dojo they are very effective.

Subsequently the philosophy of Judo has been watered down with the advent of sport-related tactics but Judo schools that teach Kodokan Judo are closer to its authentic roots as a MA. That said, technically all aspects of Judo are the same in Kodokan vs sport oriented clubs - its just the attitude of the instructors and teaching of randori tactics (and no Judo kata) that tends to differ.

20. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member