Staying hydrated

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by g-bells, Jun 4, 2007.

1. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

How do you stay properly hydrated while working outside in 80-90 degree weather?

i drink 2 gallons of water while at work and at night i still find myself being a little dehydrated ie muscle cramping and urinating a bright yellow( sorry if to graphic) any suggestions would be appreciated

2. Kralk

Kralk Valued Member

Drink more.

3. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

:p

Attached Files:

4. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Personally I would worry about the loss of salt, potassium, etc as well as fluid.

As rehydration drinks are pricey for the amount you would need.... I would make my own - using water, salt (1 level teaspoonful per pint) and a small amount of cordial to diffuse the salty taste. I would probably drink about three plain water to one of these.

But I am no expert.. :Angel:

5. Reakt

Reakt Valued Member

Might be a 'durr' moment but he is right. Theres not really any other way. If you sweat a lot at work I'd advise adding a small amount of salt to water you have ( about a pinch of salt or two within your detaily water intake). Just so you don't get any salt imbalances which can be dangerous.

Really though theres only a limit to how much water you can intake and it wont just be stored in your body over a longer time period. If you're at a hydrated water level during the day then that level wont stay all night just because you've taken in loads of water many hours earlier. Your best bet is to spread out your water intake through the entire day, night included.

6. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Well G, you know where I live and I used to own my own lawn maintenance company down here. I would drink non-stop through out the day. About a gallon every 2 hours. When I was at home, or my real job, I would polish off 2 54oz. jugs of water. To replace any electrolytes, I would down a bottle of Pedialyte. You can pick it up in the baby food section of any grocery store.

7. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

not to contratic you but ido drink throught the day and i also down 2-3 32ounces of gatoraide for electrolyte replacement but still am experiencing the above mentioned symptoms, i guess more water , more water and still more water. thanks all for the suggestions

8. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Do you normally work under these conditions or is this something new?

9. narcsarge

G, dump the Gatoraide and get some of the Pedialyte man. As much as Gatoraide is hyped, it does a poor job of electrolyte replacement compared to the Pedialyte. Now Pedialyte doesn't taste all that good so you might want to mix it in with your Gatoraide or with plain fruit juice. The stuff is designed to be given to kids who get sick and are throwing up or have diarrhea. More electrolytes then Gatoraide.

10. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Is this not just tiredness from working a lot in the heat? It sounds like you've got the hydration situation covered pretty wel.

11. Cuchulain82

Cuchulain82 Custodia Legis

I concur. If you're drinking as much as you say, then you'd have to be sweating like crazy to be losing that much water.

Re: Pedialyte

Pro football players use pedialyte to rehydrate- the stuff is supposedly the bomb. Give it a shot.

12. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

thanks for the info all, i will give the pedilyte a try

13. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

If you keep drinking huge amounts of water but still keep on cramping, that may be a sign of electrolyte imbalance, as mentioned previously.

I would recommend magnesium tablets to help with the cramping. See how you go.

14. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I can recommend Pedialyte as well. They use it in hospitals all the time. It does have a funky flavor though. Be forewarned. When I worked on an amulance we used it ourselves - it's a great hangover helper. :D

http://www.pedialyte.com/thisispedialyte/variety.cfm

The stuff I normally get is clear... so it looks like the company has improved the marketability of this product... maybe that includes the flavor. It's usually found near the pharmacy section in a drug store.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  15. narcsarge

Wow! I actually have made sense here!

"YOU LIKE ME! YOU REALLY LIKE ME!"

:rolleyes:

16. koolaid

koolaid Valued Member

Not quite the topic at hand but i find after a work out nothing hydrates me faster than a glass or two of aloe vera juice (its nicer than it sounds plus rediculously good for you)

17. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

I think you mean koolaid

18. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Pedialyte is the worst substance ever created!!!! I bought two bottles of it and threw it away after trying to drink about 16 oz of it. I couldn't take more then one sip at a time in fear of throwing up. Then I tried mixing it with some strong fruit juice and I could chug it down, but then the weird taste kicked in and I felt sick for a good hour. I couldn't even look at the bottles while I threw them away!

Y-U-C-K !

If you can stomach the stuff then power to you!

19. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I struggled yesterday with hydration- I must have drunk 2-3 litres before training- did an hours body combat then went straight into kung fu, after half an hour of which I felt faint and had to go and get some air.Its pretty warm at the moment but wonder if it was dehydration making me feel odd as had eaten a decent amount of good food yesterday?
    Felt pretty dreadful this morning, and had drunk another 2 litres or so when I got home from class.

20. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter