Favorite terrain to run on.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Hapuka, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

I like to run on sand (Not super soft sand but semi soft) It kinda absorbs the shock of the body weight.

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I've been a big fan of trail running. The difference in canyon terrain requires you to constantly adjust your speed and positioning. It requires a good amount of agility.
    Best to start out with slower less challenging runs and work up to the tougher ones.
    A great intro for those contemplating adventure runs and races.

It's good to experiment with these sorts of terrains. It really does help you to understand how hesitation can cause some serious problems and how momentum can carry you over scary spots.

3. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Is grass any good? Ive tried running on it and finds it slows me down too much.
    My favorite so far is sand (on the beach) I can run for miles (Well 1km, lol)
    Hell it's a start! I hope by the end of the year I should be able to run 10k. Thats my goal anyway.

4. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Fell runing is a lot of fun, nice scenery and varied terrain.

5. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Fell running is great,I used to do a lot,but then I got achilles tendonitis from doing too much :(

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Grass is a great surface to run on. Less jarring for you body because of the cushioning of the grass. Yes it will seem like you run slower on grass because of less traction. But you'll have more traction on grass than on dry beach sand. This is why football players etc wear cleats... to improve traction on grass.

If you get a chance to run a proper track you'll notice that many have a bit of give to them. They're often resurfaced with a substrate made of ground up tires. That way the body isn't being knocked all out of wack by the impact.

Be aware that if you spend your time running continuously in one direction on the beach shore sand that you can end up with problems in your hips due to the ueveness of the sand... eg. it's lower the water side generally. Though not all beachs are that steep. Just something to keep in mind.

7. Taliesin

Taliesin Valued Member

Sand Dunes

I used to live near several miles of the biggest sand dunes I've seen, and in my younger days used to regulary run across them carrying a weighted rucksack.

Running those dunes was one of the best workouts I ever had :D

These days, when I try hill sprints, they seem relatively easy compared with the dune runs of years ago. My calves and quads have been my best developed muscles for many years, I'm convinced that this is a result of the dune running of my earlier years.

8. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

I like running on the boardwalk near my house lots of people to observe and theres a beach right below it...so its lots of fun.

9. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

I love running on really rough trails in the hills through the bush...especially when it's wet. Requires a hell of a lot of concentration and you're always having to change your technique when you've got to jump boulders, power up a steep sleep or descend. It makes the run a hell of a lot more enjoyable, works your body harder and gets you in the great outdoors.
    Failing that, I do love a good run along the beach in summer...followed by a nice pleasant swim in our shark infested ocean :)

Another great one I did when training for the SF was running through sand dunes with a bergen. Cains your legs and your heart.....in fact, everything got a good work out.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  10. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

forest trails, cushions my thunder feet as i plod along

11. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Below is TKD Guy out for a jog! LOL!

I too used to run in sand. Soft sand! Had to in order to be certified as a Beach Lifeguard. Doesn't matter what the surface is, I HATE RUNNING. If it wasn't so damn good and keeping the Cardio up and the weight down, I would get all my running from watching marathons and Track. :bang:

Attached Files:

12. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Hardpack dirt tracks and fields mostly. Basically forest and farm country.

13. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Fell running is great. The terrain can change so much, uphill, downhill, trees, brambles, fences, streams, wet soggy mud, fields. It's all good.

We even went "white water running", you basically jump into a stream and give it legs. You have to move your legs more and faster just to stay upright and for all that effort you barely make any distance. :D

Ahhh, good times...

14. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I wish I could get back into fell running,I lost about a stone in not very long at all as was going about 3 times a week. Not got time now though with the training I'm doing at the moment. Running through streams is cool,as is making walkers marvel at your utter mentalness for running up big mountains in shorts and a vest as they struggle up in their big jackets and boots :D

15. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

What? Wouldn't you be a bit surprised to see the Mountain Fairy as she wafts up the mountainside on Zephyrs? Sheesh Su Lin, let us mere mortals gawk at the truly odd and, in your case, just plain weird! ;)

16. Gary

I completely sympathise, there's a huge difference Fell running in Dorset and even hoping to find somewhere suitable in London!

17. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Oi!!!!! :D:D:D

I have many fells nearby ,but I just lack the time. I hate running on roads these days,it just seems to sap all my energy and makes my legs and achilles knacker too much.

18. Gary

Roads are boring, there's nothing quite like being covered in mud and accelerating down a hill while dodging stray brambles, puddles and surprised ramblers. :D

19. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Surprising ramblers is brilliant fun! It's almost as much fun as surprising them on mountain bikes and them wittering on about how its a footpath not a bridleway blah blah blah!!!

20. SiAiS

SiAiS Moved on

I love to run on the towpath, along the river. I'm recovering from some injuries at the moment, so I don't feel really amazing, but I do remember a few years ago when I was on absolute top form, that I felt as good as what I could see, that beautiful scenary and the bright colours, water and sunshine... so, now I see it as a good guide because I think "when I feel as good as what I see while I'm training again, then I'll know that I'm getting somewhere"