RVD cracked!

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Canit, Jun 19, 2009.

1. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

I would hope that there is. However I don't know and if not I take some consolation in the fact that there are grades are distinct from normal BJJ grades. Some...

2. Hissatsu

Hissatsu End of the Road: Moved On

I can find out easily enough - let me do a bit of research mate.

-Daniel

3. Connovar

Connovar Banned Banned

I am going to go out an limb here but what the hell. I have a very extensive BJJ DVD collection and I would have to say the level of detail given in their basic combatives set is the best I have seen to date. Its the little details that make the difference.

For example with the mount I have learned when (for example) I want to do an Americana on my ukes rt arm I under hook behind his left knee with my rt leg. This helps stabilize me and keep me from being rolled. Works really well with the ezekial choke too. Whereas before occassionally I would get rolled by a very large or strong uke it hasnt happened (yet). Never have seen or been taught that little trick in close to 5 years of training. Lots of other little details like that throughtout the course.

I dont know what their rank system compares to others because frankly I dont care. I want the details of the technique.

You must roll and roll a lot with skilled opponents to get good. There is no way around that, yet having the best technique possible is also very important. I grappled with way to many crappy grapplers whose main focus is muscle and a little technique.

I dont have any idea if the quality will stay the same for the next levels, but if it does I will probably continue with it. The price of the DVD set is only a little more than the price of an hour private with a good black belt. For me its a no brainer.

4. Morra

Morra Valued Member

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cach...+"he+beats+everyone"&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au

"Do you study Karate where ground fighting is a part of your curriculum, or is this brazilian jiu Jitsu.
    Don't make excuses you cant beat him.
    There is an instructor named John Will over here in Australia, when he takes a seminar he wrestles everyone in the room. He beats everyone..idiots might try to eye gouch or trap a nerve but he just hurts you more. I studied a freestyle karate where we wrestled once a week and i used to get beaten all the time, so i took up brazilian jiu jitsu and within 6 months i can beat everyone at my club. Size is irrelevant, Stand up or sit down, superior technique wins every time, you are faster and more manouverable. Is there one position you always lose in?
    I want to help
    Stephen "

My information is directly from one of John Will's senior black belts. I believe him, and this poster from the other forum attended a seminar and confirms exactly what I was told.

5. Morra

Morra Valued Member

I simply told you you can ask the Machados. My source, as I've mentioned, is a black belt under John Will who told me at every seminar he lines people up and allows them to try anything, and that he beats them in about 20 seconds. Is it sometimes a minute? I don't know, never attended one, I'm basing it off of what a friend and expert told me.

You're the one saying it's so impossible that John Will is that good, and implying my friend is a liar, and you out and out called me a liar. I said you'd get your butt handed to you, and you would if you went up to such a black belt and told him he couldn't beat you in 20 seconds, which is what you're implying by saying it's so impossible.

"Report your post as trolling". There's a difference from being wrong and purposely lying. I believe that John Will does this challenge thing becuase I was told by one of his black belts. I've never attended a seminar. Maybe he only does it at seminars at his own school for insurance purposes; maybe he deosn't do it when he's injured. I was told if I went to a John Will seminar in Geelong, he'd stand me up and I'd have a go at him, then after he beat me, the next guy would stand up and fight him, then when everyone had fought, the seminar would start.

Was my friend / senior BJJ black belt lying to me? I don't think so. Was there some exagerration... dunno. Was I ever lying? Nope. Either way, some day I'd love to train with Mr. Will.

Why would I mind? Of course, they'll verify they were really there so you can cite the source, right?

If you say so. Being a white belt under a good BJJ instructor seems better to me than being a fake BJK 15th dan.

Calling me a liar when I haven't lied isn't a personal attack. Hypocrite.

Your trying to make it like I had some argument that if you lose to someone in 20 seconds (or less) you should hang up your white belt. I only said that one guy out of all the people John Will beat at his seminars hung up his white belt because he felt all his training had been a waste. I'm sure he didn't give all that up because of a quick knockout from a terrible take down attempt. I didn't see the fight, but I can only assume he discovered the core strategy of his art was flawed, and decdided to switch. Who can say?

So to discuss an art you need to be training in that art for over 10 years? I missed that in the rules on MAP. Besides, we haven't been discussing the art of ninjutsu, we've just been discussing the ranking system, and the possible problems of promoting people who have little real fighting ability, and the videos they make.

Are you a Machado or John Will black belt? No? But you have enough experience in it to know how he runs his seminars, and to call me and my good friend (by proxy) liars.

This is an MA message board, not a college thesis. It's easy to find out if there's any truth to what I'm saying: attend a Rigan Machado or John Will Seminar.

Yeah, I searched it as well and only found one person mentioning it. That tells me it does happen, but maybe not as often as I thought. Still, even if he only does it at his club due to insurance purposes, it's pretty hard core.

As you can see, John Will does a LOT of seminars, some for Street Fighting Defense, some for law enforcement/ military, some for MMA/ BJJ. I admit I don't know if he only does that challenge for one type of seminar - or maybe he does do them for all. I still believe he does them often enough to bare mention, but if I am mistaken, I'll admit I was gullible and that one of John Will's most senior black belts was exagerrating or also mistaken - but liars? No.

6. Nutjob

Nutjob Jimmy Tarbuck

So you cannot prove information from this 'senior black belt' ? it sound like you made it up...as for the other poster, that could be you on another forum for all we know, your evidence lacks any substance.

7. Ace of Clubs

Ace of Clubs Banned Banned

No. You took <nonsense> posted on bullshido.net as the word of law without researching it yourself.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2009
  8. Morra

Morra Valued Member

CLARIFICATION: I asked my friend who first told m about the Machados and John Will challegning everyone at seminars. He clarified it for me. John Will only does that when the audiance is non-bjj, because they're the ones who cause the problems with their inane questions DURING his teaching.

For example, a TKD organization might hire him to do a seminar so they can learn arm bars. In that case, he was known to challenge everyone and tap them, just so they would listen throughout the seminar and not pepper him with questions (better asked after the seminar or to their partner while practicing).

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused, but the point is exactly the same as it was before Dan W. got his panties in a bunch over this petty none sense.

9. Hissatsu

Then... your "friend" and "expert" is a liar. As the other thread shows - thre is at least one seminar it didn't happen in (you are an english major - surely you know what the word "every" means).

Odd you took it that way. I actually wasn't directly saying he wasn't that good - I was more questioning the ramifications of that exercise with a large seminar attendance. Way too much liability - practically zero reward for a lot of risk. I read his blog - he doesn't seem the type who has to sub a room full of people to prove he knows what he is talking about - his reputation preceeds him.

Also - I have been training in grappling long enough to know that 20 seconds is completely unreasonable across the board. I can stalemate classmates who compete in the UFC for a full 5 min round regularly - and I am not nearly as good as some of the other guys in the room...

And your version would be in a seminar room - not a nice small ring.

I also know a lot of people who attend seminars are not interested in a NHB fight.

Anyway - I digress - it is just painfully obvious that you have no idea what you are talking about here...

No worries - I can ask a larger audience as well if you like Morra. Let me know how far you want me to bury you with this one.

Oh - they are apparently mutually exclusive? Let Simon know... ok?

BlackBelt actually. And renounce your rank. Then put on a white belt so you can begin the "REAL" path. And then somewhere in the future, some internet tough guy will use your story to make a bad point about how BJJ is "teh suck" and real learning begins as soon as you get rid of your old belt.

:bang:

I think you meant blackbelt again.

And assumption is the mothers of all... well you know. Your assumption is rather convenient.

No. You said I had no authority. I just reminded you that in this arena - I have considerably more authority than you do.

How long have you been grappling again?

Yeah. I do.

Or I can just write him an email. I will have to refer him to your post here - if you want to take this to the next level. Please provide the name of your "expert" and I would be happy to email John directly and sort this out.

Again - see the word "every".

Is your friend fluent enough in english to know what that word means? Are you?

It is really just that simple.

How long have you been grappling again Morra?

Oh. And you still missed a few requests for sources. Shall we just assume you can't/won't provide them - and that they hold virutally no credibility?

-Daniel

10. CKava

That would be impressive seeing as I have about 10 posts on Bullshido and those are I believe now from over 2 years ago. So no I didn't take the word of Bullshido as gospel I actually remember the discussions on here in the BJJ sextion about the subject and I remember people being sort of ok because it only went to blue. Now they may well have been mistaken and I may well have acceptd their mistake but I hardly think it's the end of the world. I don't have any problem saying I made a mistake. Or that the Gracie DVD course thing is a very bad idea to me.

I strongly suggest you should drop the unnecessary confrontational attitude and also there's no need to swear. In this case it's fine because it's me but if you post like this YOU are going to be responsible for bringing in the usual flame wars. So again... chill and try to avoid making unnecessary arguments.

11. CKava

If it was an instructional DVD nobody would have an issue with it. It is the fact that they are willing to promote people up grades based on submitted videos and the fact that they basically trash sport MA as being nigh on useless in a fight on the website. Or how about the fact that for most people the distinction between a Gracie academy belt and a normal BJJ belt is hard to discern. As an instructional DVD... sure no problem, as a means to grade all the way up the belt system? Money making scheme.

12. Hissatsu

Yeah. I am. Still.

;-)

or....

or...

So.... let's work out this anonymous source a bit (there seems to be some confusion on your part):

Is he your friend or John Wills? Is he a Machado Black Belt or one of John Will's senior blackbelts?

How about his name (we both know you won't sack up and mention his name here)?

(this was cross-posted to the BJJ forum here as well)

-Daniel

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  13. Nutjob

Nutjob Jimmy Tarbuck

i had a firend who told me he had the crown jewels at home....

14. Labianca

Labianca Moving On

At the point where you've tried and hung the guy on the basis of either his lack of command of the English language or boasting about things he can't prove, we need to decide if the original topic is over with and either close the thread or allow it to continue in the BJJ forum. (Thanks to whomever cross-linked it)

Point being that RVD is not BJJ and we've almost spent more time going after Morra than Donk :)

A

15. CKava

Fair points I agree with Labianca. Let's leave the Morra issue to the new thread in the BJJ section. I'll split the relevant posts later on.

RVD stuff here. Morra and Machado seminars in the other thread.

Thanks! And sorry for contributing to the derail!

16. noname

noname Valued Member

:)

I own the course. Videos and booklet. Got it on a whim.

It's not THAT bad......what upsets me the most about it is that the names of the techniques aren't categorized according to ryu-ha.

Also, I think the attempt to break down the material based on kyu-level failed.

I think he should make a new one.

[edit]
    I'm not even approaching the issue of taijutsu-quality.
    [/edit]

17. Hissatsu

After looking through the BJJ section - it is actually pretty tidy over there. I would rather not have Morra's issue spill over there anymore than it already has - so can we just cull out the relevant posts into their own thread here in our section.

His whole point for bringing up that stuff was to imply that what we do is fake and useless compared to his newfound ZoMG BJJ is TeH Ahhhwsum.

-Daniel

EDIT: Looks like some of the posts have been moved to the BJJ forum - so I will continue the heavy lifting over there... :)
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88227

18. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Remind you of anyone?

19. Terrior

Terrior Valued Member

Classic stuff Hissatsu, thank you for taking the effort to put this BJJ nutrider in his place.
    Don't forget there are the appropriate smileys for this situation such as :liar:
    I rather like the Pinocchio one though :pinocchio:
    Is this your first loss to a ninja Morra?

20. Nutjob

Nutjob Jimmy Tarbuck

Did you know pinochio means pine eyes?