John Wills / Machado seminars

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Hissatsu, Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hissatsu

Hissatsu End of the Road: Moved On

Just a quick question - has anyone here been to one of John Will's seminars (or the Machado's by chance)?

What can you expect (aside from pretty awesome BJJ instruction)? I have been hearing some outrageous things lately and need to track it down.

Thanks,

-Daniel

2. Connovar

Connovar Banned Banned

What kind of outragious things are you hearing?

3. Hissatsu

That John starts off seminars with every single attendee doing a full no-holds barred fight against him. And John beats them all within 20 seconds.

That kind of outrageous thing...

-Daniel

4. Dao

Dao Valued Member

Haha I ahve only been to one of his seminars but that certainly didn't happen there. My training partner is a brown belt in Machado BJJ and has never mentioned anything of the likes.
    I think that is a bit of BS.
    John Will seminars are excellent by the way. I highly recommend them.

Dao

5. Morra

Morra Valued Member

The OP is calling me a liar/ BS troll.

I was told by a Machado black belt and friend of John Will that before every seminar, he lines everyone up and they have a NHB match right there, and that his opponents get creamed in about 20 seconds. I've never attended one of his seminars, but the person who told me this is VERY reliable.

What kind of seminar did you go to? Was he injured, or short of time? Anyway, I did find some collaboration on the web:

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache...&ct=clnk&gl=au

"Do you study Karate where ground fighting is a part of your curriculum, or is this brazilian jiu Jitsu.
    Don't make excuses you cant beat him.
    There is an instructor named John Will over here in Australia, when he takes a seminar he wrestles everyone in the room. He beats everyone..idiots might try to eye gouch or trap a nerve but he just hurts you more. I studied a freestyle karate where we wrestled once a week and i used to get beaten all the time, so i took up brazilian jiu jitsu and within 6 months i can beat everyone at my club. Size is irrelevant, Stand up or sit down, superior technique wins every time, you are faster and more manouverable. Is there one position you always lose in?
    I want to help
    Stephen "

6. Dao

Dao Valued Member

G'day mate,
    I can only speak from my one experience and that certainly was not the case.
    I attended a two day seminar over a weekend and he was not injured or short of time. He was also a very professional instructor and did not hurt anyone the entire weekend. He also had some of his purple belts at the seminar as well, who were equally nice guys and very helpful.
    Actually he dedicated time to discussing injury prevention and the fact that once you know how to apply a technique then there is no need to take it to the point of submission each time to preserve training partners limbs.

As I said I am only speaking from my experience, and this may be the one seminar in history where he did no fight the entire room in NHB and defeat them in 20 seconds, although I would find this somewhat incongruous with what I saw of his personality.

Just to stress, I would highly recommend his seminars to anyone interested in BJJ.

Dao

7. Dao

Dao Valued Member

Also i might add that the link above does not lead to anything of relevance.

Dao

8. Morra

Morra Valued Member

Hm, sorry about the link. It just goes to another MA website; that's where I copied and pasted the quote from. You can find it on google easily enough

9. Dao

Dao Valued Member

No it doesn't it goes to a google search of the word "cache...".

If anyone would like to see how this conversation ends I suggest you check out page 7 of the "RVD cracked" thread in the ninjutsu forum.

Not sure if you are a liar or BS troll or just a bit confused and obsessed with this topic but either way it is becoming tedious for me already, especially now that I have seen how it ends.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88139&page=7

Dao

10. Morra

Morra Valued Member

None of the above: I made one statement and this ninja guy came at me and said I was a liar, then cross posted and created this thread. He's the one harping on about it; it doesn't really matter much to me. My guess is John Will might only challenge non BJJ guys for the purpose of quelling any doubts they might have in his system... again, I don't know, and I am also tired of talking about it.

11. Dao

Dao Valued Member

Ah, no worries.

All the best then.

Dao

12. Morra

Morra Valued Member

OK, to end this, and I appologize that my activities in the ninja forum spilled over into the halls of MAP BJJ, but I did, in passing, ask a little bit about this to the BJJ black belt. He told me John Will only does it in seminars where there are no BJJ guys. For example, maybe a TKD org asks him to do a seminar because they want to learn arm bars. So, for BJJ people, and regular MMA guys, he wouldn't do the challenge. For ninjutsu, who knows! :)

13. Hissatsu

Round two, eh?

*sighs*

So... now what you are trying to say is that when the audience is non-bjj - he does a full NHB match with everyone and smokes them before starting the seminar?

So - the person who paid him to come - to teach something - lets him fight everyone in the room before starting - nhb?

That is the new fairy tale?

-Daniel

14. Decision Tree

Decision Tree Valued Member

It's total BS. How many NHB fights can you do and win without taking injury? Morra - You're saying the guy fights everyone there NHB - say 20 fights. Why would he risk it? Perhaps do one fight with a top guy to show how effective it is but hey - even that is a big egotistical.

15. Hissatsu

Yeah. I am. Still.

;-)

or....

or...

So.... let's work out this anonymous source a bit:

Is he your friend or John Wills? Is he a Machado Black Belt or one of John Will's senior blackbelts?

How about his name (we both know you won't sack up and mention his name here).

-------

Predictably - the story has changed now:

Just wanted you guys to know how this was ending (badly for Morra).

Dao - sending you a PM. (thanks).

-Daniel

16. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

I think what this will turn out to be is that sometimes the Machados offer people who seem uncertain and are asking a lot of questions about whether this or that would work if they were doing this or that the chance to try and then more often than not quickly neutralise the person attempting the techniques.

This story then morphs over time into they decimate everyone in 20 secs flat to get respect at the beginning of a seminar.

Or perhaps they just have a roll with everyone and typically beat them all. I know Mario Reis does this every time he comes to give a seminar in London including fighting his other brown belts/black belts. He usually finishes quickly but it depends on the size and skill of the guy and with other brown/black belts obviously it takes more time. He is a world class competitor though and most of those attending his seminars are nowhere near the same level of skill as him so it makes sense. I suspect something like this is going on at Machado seminars and is being greatly exaggerated.

17. Hissatsu

I would probably believe that ...

The problem is - Morra decided to bet it all on this storytale - and decided to add in the "high ranked blackbelt - good friend of mine" part. With that as the case (and apparently he is easily reachable - got back to Morra for clarification within a day) - that doesn't work for this situation.

So either Morra is a liar - or his "Senior BB - inner circle - friend" is.

He unfortunately just typed himself into a corner here... and I am quite happy making an example out of him.

-Daniel

18. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Yes to be clear I'm not saying this excuses Morra I am just saying I think this is likely to be the reality that someone Morra or otherwise has twisted.

19. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

You realize how silly this is?

20. Nutjob

Nutjob Jimmy Tarbuck

Dude you said on the 'ninja' thread three different angles for you story as detailed by Dan, all Dan has done is come on here and proved you wrong, give it up, its ok to be wrong and tell your "friend" he is as well....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.