zercher squats and deads.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by bwhite55, Oct 23, 2007.

1. bwhite55

bwhite55 Valued Member

i read something about a zercher squat and dl, and from what i could see its a dl or squat w/ your arms wrapped around the bar. now, on a couple videos i watched, the guys kinda bent forward, and the other ones, the guys remained straight, and the DL video, the guy kinda bent his back a lil bit forward. i'm wondering if this is proper form or just askin for an injury? and are zerchers good?

2. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

lmao, you like your articles and studies dont ya. :D

when the guy on that video you posted starts hopping half way through the rep and clucking like a chicken i did wonder about his form

got links to these vids mate? kind of hard to comment otherwise

3. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Zerchers are an interesting animal. They hurt. Not, like, muscle soreness hurt, but like hook grip hurt. They hurt to perform, until you get used to it. That alone keeps some people from using them regularly. including me.

You can use the Zercher position...

[​IMG]

For a bunch of different exercises. Squats, good mornings, lunges, or just a "simple" walk/carry for distance or time.

This video shows a great Zercher squat. Due to the mechanics of the movement and the odd bar placement, it's tough to distinguish a Zercher squat from a "Zercher deadlift".

You could, however, perform a Zercher squat with the bar starting dead on the floor (deadlift start position). This is sometimes called a prisoner squat ('cuz they say prisoner's don't have squat racks.) But coming up from this position will involve a lot of back rounding, unless you're a really, really short guy.

So, long story short, if you're Zercher squatting, keep the basic squat mechanics the same. Mostly upright back, use as complete a R.O.M. as possible, and know that if your torso starts leaning forward, you're engaging the low back and glutes more. (If you want to do that on purpose, make that your decision from the get-go.)

4. bwhite55

bwhite55 Valued Member

i just read it on a post in here, i think it was the routine critique thread and was like....hmmmmmm, never heard of that, so i youtubed it....it wasn't an article or study this time....i just watched a few videos, it'd take me a while to go back to them i think.

and yes, i do like studies :D i do see your point of view where the guys back in the day like arnie, dorian, and all those old timers would be able to get freakin massive and strong w/o all the science and stuff and just by simply knowing how to push their bodies and what to feed it, etc. and i also believe in that, but at the same time, i like to read different scientific research about different stuff(altho you could probly find a scientific study proving/disproving everything, and i realize this) cuz if its out there, you might as well read about it. most of the stuff i read i take with a grain of salt(i think thats the expression) as much of it(if not most) is inconclusive. but still, it gives me something to do that i enjoy...

and i don't think its proper form on any lift to cluck like a chicken :p

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  5. Suhosthe

Suhosthe A dwarf! A dwarf!

Yeah, my trainer tells me I'm too obsessive about trying to understand the why of everything. We argue about this all the time. I think you can never be too well informed. He thinks if you pay attention to all the studies you'll never do anything because everything is bad for you.

Strangely enough, we frequently draw the same conclusions, so I guess it's two different approaches towards the same results.

Like you say, if you enjoy it, then it's something to do. :)

It's not? But there was this study... ;)

6. bwhite55

bwhite55 Valued Member

give me a link, i wanna read the study!

7. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

I like Colluci's video (cuz I like Defranco). But I gotta give some props to Craig Smith http://youtube.com/watch?v=hdylzDG17KA

(whom by the way is a bad ass pro-thrower)

Are zerchers good? Welll...they're the breakfast of champions.