Zen ox hearding pictures

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by samuri-man, Mar 4, 2006.

1. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

for karate, i have to learn and know the meanings of the nine Zen ox hearding pictures, has anyone heard of or know anything about these nine ox hearding pictures?

2. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

The Ten Ox herding pictures are pretty famous Buddhist images most commonly associated with Zen. The meaning attributed to each one varies in interpretation but roughly they are a pictorial metaphor for the process of attaining enlightenment and then returning to society to help others.

Pictures are as follows (though there are variations):

1. Searching for the Ox.
    2. Seeing some traces.
    3. Seeing the Ox.
    4. Catching the Ox.
    5. Herding the Ox.
    6. Riding the Ox Home.
    7. Ox Vanishes, Man Remains.
    8. Man and Ox Disappear.
    9. Returning to Origin.
    10. Entering the Market with open hands.

If you google it you'll find plenty of descriptions and discussions on them.

3. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

What he said^

A lot of things in zen are about enlightening people of their own ego.. or their ox..if you will.

light pack makes for a swift journey (zks)
    -and a pleasant one - geo.

it is difficult, the ox is strong..

the teaching also works on the level of seeing 'buddha nature' in all things, beginning with the humble ox, who 'asks' for nothing. Other than to be an ox.

It is a lovely teaching, this is merely a humble interpretation. ;)

People, I feel often mistake such teaching as a call to 'get rid of that horrible ego thing' or some such.. This is not the case i feel.

It is a case of attaining ego-lite (tm)

or a 'child-like' quality to ego.

Above most things zen is pretty practical, and acheivable in my experience..
    depending on the teaching and the thought and practice applied to it.
    The word enlightenment gets bandied about, personally I don't like to use it too often.. It is not supposed to be some special mystical mumbo jumbo state of being.. It should be here and now. portray the immidiecy of a child. Eyes alight!

I prefer the 'sense of fun' approach also. Some traditions can be austere. To this end I look to some tibetan buddhist traditions for there 'lightness'.

I think there is a careful line to tread between living an everyday happy existance, and retreating to meditation and study.. sometimes reality really is the best teacher. I'm not saying meditation is not real, or not a real tool. Far from it, but we must all watch for . .following the way to the way.

I truly believe it is different for everyone, and can only be guided to with the help of good friends. Hence lots of interpretation, difference of opinion..this is normal the words will naturally take on the character and taste of the teller.

"all may observe the cherry blossom fall, few may describe the manner of its descent" or some such. I used to translate this into - 'god is in the detail' when I was first told it.

A book I particularly liked and enjoyed.. though somewhat austere in my humble opinion.. is 'Everyday zen' by Charlotte Joko Beck. .There is humour there too.. there has to be! certainly for dealing with such; light there must be at the end of the tunnel!

A most excellent, wonderful instruction.

I read a lovely story recently, I will ask the author if I can share it here. He tells the story in his book, where the story in question was passed to him by a kindly stranger whilst sitting in a Taiwan cafe. Look out in articles. It is about building a lighthouse.. most inspiring - I can tell you. :)

What can i tell you.. I like stories, especially bedtime ones :)

nite, nite.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2006
  4. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

May I also add that; things can change with the weather.

Even the odd old dog.. :)