Zen for Ten

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by KickChick, Feb 9, 2006.

1. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Okay so I came across this article in People Magazine about this guy Greg Avedon
    [​IMG]

He has been named as having one of the best bodies in the industry ;) and wanted to check out his workout routine.... (I also have seen him in Mens Health)

So I read thru his site... (no really I DID read through his recommendations for routines) ...

And came across this particular one entitled "Zen for Ten" (the mind-body connection) ... which I thought would be a perfect routine for the martial artist.

The concept is to take your normal routine, keeping everything the same: same number of sets
    same exercises
    same days of the week
    same body parts worked each day

... then implement the method whis is while most everything stays the same (as above) two very important things are going to change:

1) The repetitions for each set [A range of 10 simply means that every set should be between 8 and 12 repetitions. For example, if you're pushing a weight that you usually do 12 challenging reps with, you'll probably get between 8 and 10 reps using Zen-for-Ten.]

2) Your form and concentration [when doing Zen-for-Ten, you've got to stay centered, concentrate on the muscles your working, and keep strict form throughout the exercise.

It all sounds so basic to me..... thing is you CANNOT socialize AT ALL (I may have a probelm with that one ) and the key is FORM & INTENSITY (this I can do!)

Here is the link.... tell me what you think ...http://www.greggavedon.com/Zen For Ten.htm

2. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Personally I find that when I am fervent for a workout, I will train in the same method as this ZenTen thing. But, if I am knackered and just forcing myself, I will just be going through the motions. To me it seems that this method is nothing new, but more as a result of strong will and intention. I think if you are very intent on every workout you have, you will implement these ZenTen principles naturally. Though, if your not that intent, would you be bothered to implement these principles or just go through the motions.

In summary I think that this method is not so much a method of physical training, but more to do with cultivating the right attitude for a better workout, which in turn makes your work harder and more effective. But I guess by bringing this process to your awareness, such as you just did, you can more often achieve this sort of state. I think in part because logically thinking, if your gonna spend time working out, you may as well put all your intention in to it, and be more productive as opposed to just doing it for the sake of it.

3. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Exactly.

Quite honestly I find that most people zone out entirely when working out and I myself for one find that I don't really do the mind-body connection all the time.

I do however tend to feel my workouts more when I concentrate on the muscle I am working so much so that I see it pumping and feel it contracting with every rep.

4. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

I also find that certain supplements, such as a good and potent brand of “Tribulus” have a similar effect on me. In the sense that they make me concentrate more on doing every rep. This makes me think though, are these supplements effective because of their chemical interaction, or because of the mind aspect. Hence, are they actually any use if you can replicate a similar effect with your will/intention.

In any case, some old school MA film words ring true “Don’t think, feel … (I think most people know the rest)”.. :)

5. MikeMartial

MikeMartial Lean and Mean

I regularly pick up Men's Health, and look forward to reading his articles. What was really shocking to me (and made me change the way I eat drastically) was the amount of good fats he takes in. While he's no doubt a genetic freak when it comes to body fat, he's got his diet science down.

He had a wicked recipe for a guacamole sandwish that for the life of me can't find on his website....and I even have a ripe guac waiting to be sacrificed....