Zanbatou

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by saikyou, Sep 30, 2003.

1. saikyou

saikyou New Member

Have you tried to use these two-handed, big, broad sword? how long and how heavy is this? It is called a Zanbatou right? just curious.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2003
  2. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

What country is it from?

3. saikyou

saikyou New Member

japan. It is used by horseback riders to swipe their opponent's head off and to also kill the opponent's horse.

4. Cudgel

I am in serious doubt as to its historical veracity for sever4al reasons.

It sems to me that you got this monster from Rouroni Kenshin and that weapon is up there with Clouds buster sword as in it would break apart at teh handle in addition to being extremely slow and unweildy.

And even think of useing a two handed weapon from horse back is not wise as you need your entire body to weild such weapons and your horse would get in the way.

Two handed weapons were used by infantry to take out horse and other peopl with large weapons.

5. saikyou

saikyou New Member

Yes. I saw it being used by Sano. It's really cool looking. Too bad that its VERY bulky and difficult to use.

speaking of FF7, you know that 7 foot sword used by Sephiroth? A friend told me that there is a real-life version of that sword.

6. Dark Blade

Dark Blade It Roundhouse time

No, The existed.
    But they were called no-dachi 's.
    It was bigger than they were, but they existed. and I don't know for a fact if they used them on horse back, but I doubt it, unless it was used temporarily like lance.

I'll look into it.

7. saikyou

saikyou New Member

I know what a nodachi looks like(i play bushido blade) I think sephiroth's sword is diffirent from a nodachi. Its more of a katana in steroids. :) ok, gonna wait for your post. thanks:)

8. Dark Blade

I ment in regards to the initial post :p

Sephiroths sword is another matter, I'm not sure if they'd make one.
    Where did your friend find out about it?

9. Dark Blade

10. saikyou

saikyou New Member

got some info, the one being used by sephiroth is a masame. Its a katana 6 or 7 feet long. the swordsmith who made it was killed by his own creation.

the broad sword that I was talking about in the initial post does not look like a katana. If you play FF7, its similar to the buster sword used by cloud. I found a pic but this is only a toy version.

[​IMG]

11. Cudgel

that falls under the classification of 'SLO' or sword like object as it, and other anime weapons, are physically impossible to use due to the fact that even if they were made out of space age matierals lighter than steel they would be to heavy.
    Case in point I saw a buster sword being sold that was made from aircraft aluminum and it weighed eleven pounds which is heavier than the heaviest two handed sword made out of steel ever.
    another important fact is that as I stated before, a sword like that woudl break at the junction between hilt and blade for the same reason a rat tail tang would on a cheesy decorator sword. Not enough material at a high strees point

and I believe you could call it a nodachi as nodachi translates as field sword which means swords made for battle only ie very plain and un-adorned.
    So both the zanbatou (the real swords) and sephiroth's sword ,which I believe IS phyically feasible you would just have to a fairly tall and strong swordsman.

DarkBlade
    those sword appera to be no dachi as the proportion of handle to blade is great than that of a katana.

PS I found a school that teaches the use of larger Japanese swords (no-dachi)
    http://www.hyoho.com/index.html

Last edited: Oct 3, 2003
  12. saikyou

saikyou New Member

Thanks for that. so those gigantic swords were just fiction and aint facts. now I know.

13. Dark Blade

Oooh right.
    :)

14. Hakko-Ryu

Hakko-Ryu New Member

didnt legends have it that gwan yu (the chinese deified war god) use a weapon weighing something like 45 kg? it was nicknamed the "horse chopper". They have a replica version of the weapon used in wushu today called the gwan dong. That weapon was used on horseback i believe, like a lance but with a sword tip? i don't know how anyone could swing a weapon that heavy though

15. saikyou

saikyou New Member

I think it is possible if the one using it is a guy who has a body of pure solid muscles and weighs 200kg. :)

16. Cudgel

you are welcome saikyou

17. saikyou

saikyou New Member

thanks. :D wel, it seems that there are tons of fictional swords out there.

18. Cudgel

yes there are sadly.

19. saikyou

saikyou New Member

legends and entertainment are the causes.

20. Cudgel

over sized anime weapons are cool but only the context they come from.