Zambidis vs. Chahid: K1

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Mushroom, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Awesome fight!

(Warning - some swearing fom the commentators)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvlFoQTse8s&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - HDNet Web Fights - Zambidis vs. Chahid[/ame]

2. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

Yeah that was a good fight, shame the final was not as exciting. Petrosyan is fantastic, he's just not exciting.

I think it's bad they made Zambidis go an extra round in that fight too. I thought he won it in the first 3.

3. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Chiavello's commentating always trips me out lol.
    Top fight.

4. nbf79

nbf79 Valued Member

Great fight, Zambidis is just unbelievable.

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Zambidis fought well there. He's a nugget of explosive power!!! His timing and distance were on. Surely Chalid has reach on him yet he never managed to find his range. Whereas Zambidis had his down pat. Nice work. The kick off the front leg... given that he didn't switch to set it up and that he's not a southpaw is impressive.

The commentators sucked big time there. When a commentator has to resort to swearing... uhhh... very poor form. What's up with Schiavello... usually his puns are good and his commentary brings someting to the fight. But this bout... of all the things he could be talking about he sits there and harps on Zambidis' size. Amateur hour... jeez... get rid of "I'm Mr. In-love-with-my-own-voice" and get someone know can talk his way through the fight intelligently. Seems like a low point for Schiavello.

What was cringeworthy was watching Ray Sefo trying to get a word in edgewise... watch him fumble on camera when they actually show the three commentators. Jeez...

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

That was quality.
    Hard punishing shots all round, no let up in pace, punches in bunches, the ref barely had any work to do, both stayed in the pocket and went for it.
    At first I thought the footage was running a bitt fast. Then I realised that's just how explosive Zambidis is. :)

7. jaggernautico

jaggernautico Valued Member

zambidis always comes to fight and is always a joy to watch.

8. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

Nah when it comes to scoring it really helps if you turn the sound off.

The first round Zambidis totally handled Chahid. With the 8 count it goes to Zambidis with a 10:8 score.

The second round Zambidis was in control for most of the round which WOULD have had it as a 10:9 in his favor but with the 8 count he was given it then becomes 10:9 in CHAHIDs favor.

In the final round this is where you'll really notice the difference if you turn off the sound. The commentators are really bigging up Zambidis but for the first half of the round Chahid was comletely dominant and then the fight was pretty even for the second half which would result in another 10:9 for chahid.

When the judges add up those scores it comes to 29 points zambidis and 28 points chahid which obviously results in an extra round.

9. Axelator

What fight were you watching? There was no knock down in the first round.

The first round I would give to Zambidis, so that's 10-9 to him. Obviously the judges gave this a draw so they had it 10-10.

The second round is where you got confused. Zambidis knocked Chaid down twice, so that makes it a 10-7 round, however as Chaid knocked down Zambidis also that makes it a 8-7 round. So now according to me it's 18-16 Zambidis, but to the judges who scored the first round a draw it's 18-17.

Now the third round I agree Chahid won it 10-9. So imo that would make it 27-26 Zambidis, making him the winner. However because the judges scored the first round a draw they had it 27-27.

Also if like you said it was 29-28 to Zambidis then there wouldn't have been an extra round, that only happens when the points are even.

Check the k-1 site rules section for scoring policy. I like to think I can score a fight objectively even with the voice screaming stuff.

10. Master Betty

Yeah I noticed I got confused when I watched it the second time around but nobody had picked up on it so I didn't wanna bring it to their notice by correcting it lol :)

I think they scored the 1st round 10:10, then 10:9 to zambidis and 10:9 to chahd in the 3rd. So I agree completely. I think the issue the judges may have had with zambidis in the first round was that though he was busier and hitting with a lot of power, looking closely not a lot of those shots were landing clean.

11. Axelator

hehe, I thought up leaving it but then I decided to be annoying.

I think the k-1 judges like to score the first round 10-10 one fighter has to really put a beat down on the other guy to win it or be Japanese. TO be fair to Chahid he did keep coming fowards in the first, desoite Zambidis hitting him alot.

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I might be wrong but that's not how the 10 point must system works is it?
    The winner must get 10 points (even if he's knocked down by the other guy)?
    So that round would be a 10-9 or 10-8 round?

Or is K1 or Thai different to boxing?

13. Axelator

I don't know about other sports but in k-1 if somone is knocked down twice in a round it's a 10-7 round. If they're knocked down once it's a 10-8 round. That's the reasoning I used to make the second round 8-7. Ray Sefo (one of the commentators and k-1 legend) also came to the same conclusion.

14. Master Betty

Yeah you're correct the winner gets 10 all the time. You could compare the scoring to tennis. You have advantage at 10:9, your opponent evens the score again to 10:10, then he gets advantage and it becomes 10:9 in his favor etc.

15. Axelator

No... it isn't always 10 to the winner.

'Each fighter receives a two (2) point deduction when a downed fighter takes a down from his opponent in the same round. In this case, the score will be 8-8 instead of 10-10.'

So if they both knock each other down it's 8-8, Zambidis knocked Chahid down twice so it's 8-7.

Just go to the website and read the rules instead of guessing Betty.

http://www.k-1.co.jp/en/what/rules.html

16. Master Betty

I'm not I was referring to a normal 10:10 and I know thai works this way. Not claiming to be completely knowledgeable about the subtleties of K! scoring however. IN thai if both fighters score an 8 count it's a 10:10

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I stand (or get knocked down?) corrected.
    Seems K1 is different to boxing/MMA.

18. Axelator

So what happens in boxing if somone gets knocked down three times in a round?

And what happens if they knock each other down once in a round?

I'm fairly sure the Thais don't score rounds 10-9? I've never been able to figure out how they score their fights. I think it's weighted towards, kicks agression and the 4th and 3rd round.

19. Master Betty

They do - the winner of a round always scores 10 points - the only exceptions are if a point is deducted by the referee for fouling. You should get along to a judging course at some point - Tony Myers is without a doubt THE authority on thai scoring and rules in britain and he usually does these courses for a relatively small fee. Tha's the same guy I was taught by.

Basically, it will always be 10:9 to the winner unless certain things happen:

*If i give you a complete and utter schooling, ie. I dominate a round without any shadow of a doubt, then it can sometiems be given as a 10:8.

*As previously mentioned, if a point is deducted then it will be taken from the final score of the round.

*If an 8 count is awarded in an otherwise even round it becomes 10:8. If another is awarded to the same person it becomes 10:7. If the 2nd 8 count is awarded to the opponent then the score is even at 10:10.

*If my opponent scores an 8 count, but i was completely dominating the fight before it, and continue to fight well afterthe 8 count then sometimes it can result in a 10:9 score.

Aggression actually isn't a scoring criteria in thai boxing. In K1 it is. If a fight as awarded with the first 2 rounds to fighter A, scored evenly on round 3, and rounds 4 and 5 awarded to fighter B then often, fighter B will win because he was the one winning in the long run with domination shown in the later stages ofthe fight. To this end, many judges will only score the first round a 10:10, with a small dot to the person who may have won the round. They'll also score, in absence of other criteria being met, the fighter with the better thai technique or, more commonly, whichever simply threw the most body kicks.

Interestingly, in Lumpinee stadium, many of the judges will only fill out the score cards AFTER the fight, when it's very obvious who won it.