Zaad's Training Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Mangosteen, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

OH NO! I've joined the ranks!

Here's plan for the next few years.
    I've been on the lifting section of it for a while but not for the past two weeks (was on holiday).
    And considering I go to a small town university in Scotland I walk about 6 miles everyday and I like doing push ups in the most random places.

Rest Day - Friday

MA training (PM Work):
    Monday – Grappling
    Tuesday – Judo
    Wednesday – Grappling
    Thursday – Judo

Lifting:
    Saturday – Upper Body

+ OHP – Work up to 5 rep max for 3 sets then deload for 1 set
    + Bench Press – Work up to 5 rep max for 3 sets then deload for 1 set
    + Pull ups – 25 reps in total
    + Close Grip Bench Press – Work up to 5 rep max for 3 sets
    + Barbell Row – Work up 10 rep max for 3 sets
    + Tricep Pulldowns – Work up to 5 rep max for 1 set
    + Lateral Raise – 5 rep max for 3 set
    + Barbell Curl – Work up to 5 rep max then deload to 5 reps with dumbbells
    + Barbell Shrug Walk
    Sunday – Lower Body
    + Squat – Work up to 5 rep max for 3 sets then deload for 1 set
    + Dead Lift – Work up to 3 rep max the deload to 1 plate to failure
    + Calf raise – work up to 8 rep max for 3 sets
    + Rack Lift – work up to 5 rep max for 3 sets
    + Dumbbell Lunges – Work up to 12 reps for 3 sets
    + Core – 100 reps of whatever (machine/free)

Track & Cardio (AM Work Only):
    Tuesday - 6 x 100 m Sprints
    Wednesday– 1 x 2 mile Timed Run and Circuit /Bouldering
    Thursday – 5 x 400 m Sprints

2. Osu,

With all this logging, I am glad we are on an e-support and not on paper... Save the trees... :D

A few years... What are your goals Zaad?

5x400m before judo.......... hummmmm, we'll see how that flies... :D

Osu!

3. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Crap... and here I had a separate log going on paper...

4. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Welcome to the darkside Zaad!

I have that too (as well as 2 other websites I post my log on)!

5. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

I was keeping on on the board I own but it didnt really seem to fit so thats why I started one here. One's hard enough to keep up for me anyway.

Welcome to the darkside, Zaady, we have cookies.

6. Frodocious

I just copy and paste between the different sites!

And cake...

Well, I have cake...

However I'm not very good at sharing! ;)

What sort of weights are you doing, Zaad?

7. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

I have a feeling this is going to turn out to be a great part of the forum. My question is what is grappling as opposed to Judo?

By the way, I also lift on weekends only too. Would be great to do more, but my body just doesn't recover as fast as it used to.

8. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Not all grappling is Judo but all Judo is grappling (the atemi bits notwithstanding, I guess).

9. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Not exactly, as Judo does have some striking (although more lost than karate's grappling). I am just wondering if he is calling ground work grappling or if he is working another style like BJJ.

10. Mangosteen

Grappling = No-gi grappling.
    It includes BJJ, some Judo and a fair bit of wrestling in a no-gi environment.
    i like it because we have people from all different backgrounds training with us.
    Its quite popular to train because of ADCC and MMA

I'm keeping lifting on weekends as its where i saw the most gains previously.
    It'll be hard to lift during the week with the intensity of judo. and considering i only have one rest day i really dont want to over stress myself.
    slow gains are better than no or even minus gains, right?

My goals: over all strength, especially explosive strength, my muscular endurance isnt that bad as i can roll for more matches than everyone i train with include black belts, without getting tired or failing (helio approves my time-limitless rolling).
    And of course - skill learning and sport specific fitness from grappling, but that'll come with mat time.

I'll probably switch program when it stops working but it'll probably be a couple months/years.

the 5x400m is in the morning and judo in the evening, i have rest day after that too. so hopefully it wont be a problem.
    Its mainly to help improve aerobic fitness and to some degree lactic threshold.
    I got my 2 mile run times down quite a bit with 400m sprints but surprisingly my squats increased with it (even though i stopped squatting for a few weeks).

I'm not sure about now but at peak records i was lifting over a plate with bench for 8 reps, 2 plates dead lift for 10 reps but my squat was really low, with 1 plate for 5 reps. I cant remember what OHP was.

Before this i was on starting strength.
    i got my squats up to 1 plate but after that i havent made progress with my squat, but i learnt pretty damn good form.
    I didnt even increase my other lifts with SS. i was benching 40 kg and dead lifting only 1 plate and struggling.
    Then i changed my program to include supplemental exercises and in 3 weeks with only lifting on weekends, i increased all major lifts by a drastic amount.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  11. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

I am 43, you don't have to tell me about over-stressing the body with weight training and MA. You may think about implementing a sort of periodization model into your program. I usually work on a six week cycle where I will take a week off every six weeks only doing light stuff. I then work my way back up peaking on the sixth week, etc. Well that is the intent and goal anyway, but sometimes work and family get in the way.

12. Mangosteen

I was considering a periodisation model.
    I'll probably stay on this program till christmas (ill be in india at christmas with no MA clubs and few decent gyms) and switch to a cardio intensive body weight program, in an effort to work on speed.
    But lets see.
    Considering how low my lifts are anyway, i dont think ill be peaking any time soon.
    Butt yeah i noticed backing off heavy lifting for a week, after a few weeks on a program, really helps gains.

13. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

I think your body can only take so much volume (obviously a very individual thing: I could get away more more training when I was younger). I probably gain the most when I take my light week, as my body just has time to heal and re-build.

14. Mangosteen

Sounds good. I'll probably do that.

this isn't related but i moved back to uni this week and found out 2 things:
    2 of my best friends will be leaving uni.
    the first - he found out his mum has cancer so he staying at home with her for maybe a year or more.
    the second - hes been getting migranes and dizzy spells and doctors dont know whats wrong. he cant even walk sometimes.

Sucks that they're both leaving but i hope things get better for them.

15. Mangosteen

YAY!

Finally back on training.
    Today was my active rest day.
    Just No-gi Grappling in the evening.
    Got cramps like crazy (mainly toe and hip), need to eat a banana in the morning.
    Surprisingly my knee didnt hurt!

I brought a fresher from my uni along, he's from the USA. nice guy.
    He wrestled in high school and did jiu jitsu directly under a black belt for a year.
    He's got insane control skills that im truly jealous of.
    He got me in a sub a few times but it was weird because his style was so different.

ANYWAY tomorrows routine:
    6x100 metre sprints (Morning)
    Evening Judo

Will probably be sore tomorrow morning!

16. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Good to be back at it after a break. Sounds like that guy just has more experience than you. You can get there too and maybe even surpass him. Go for it.

17. Mangosteen

Yeah he's definitely got more experience.
    Personally trained with a BB who actual was a family friend. He wrestled for 3 years in high school.
    I was just such an odd movement pattern he had.
    Definitely going to train with him more!
    i'm taking him to Judo on thursday (its freshers clubs day tomorrow) so i wanna see how he handles flipping the turtle.

I also should be able to get a uni club for grappling approved but we'll be affiliating with a local club, so our guys will train their but we get mat space at the uni. Hopefully the uni comprehends that.

18. Osu,

Active rest = no gi grappling :D:D
    Get more bananas... ;)

Osu!

19. Mangosteen

Woke up this morning, Neck as sore as hell.
    But everything else felt pretty good.

Went to Judo today.
    But I noticed in Judo that I got tired and almost gassed from just the warm up. Then when it came to randori i was perfectly fine.
    Good to find out today that although my tachi-waza is probably lower than any white belt ever, my newaza is pretty good compared to some of the higher up judo guys.
    The extra strength from lifting has helped too!
    My hip flexors and inner groin are pretty tight so i'll need to stretch but luckily i didnt cramp (got my banana).

I guess my nutrition plan is working pretty well so far.

I think i'm going to phase in the sprints next week, i'll just get used to training MA and lifting with my new nutrition this week.

One thing that i was thinking today was "why do i bother doing BJJ on top of Judo? Judo is much more rounded..."
    But then the head black belt at the Judo class rolled with me, he went easy to let me test techniques and went into turtle so i isolated his arm with my legs and grabbed other arm and rolled forward.
    I had him in crucifix from behind which is a pretty good position in BJJ.
    then he said "You've got a problem there... You just pinned yourself."
    Then it clicked back to me why i do BJJ. More variation to techniques than modern judo allows.

20. Frodocious

That's the reason I do BJJ and Judo. I definitely have a preference for groundwork, but want some throws in there as well and there are just too many limitations on what you can do on the ground in Judo, so I get the extra stuff from the BJJ.

If you're going to train a lot you need to take your active rest a bit more seriously - no-gi training doesn't count! :)