Z-Day Plans and Preparations#2: Close Combat with Zombies

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by StevieB8363, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

damn. We'll have to get a shotgun for our collection.

2. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

He needs to get some proper broad-head arrows rather than target arrows. A good broad head will happily mince a zombie's brains (assuming his composite has a decent draw to put the arrow through bone anyway).

I have a small collection of stuff really. There's the long bow, a few swords (either the longsword or rapier would probably be best), a couple of woodchopping axes, sledgehammer, high-pressure hose (admittedly not good for the kill, but good to delay pursuit and keep them away from the house).

Now when's the attack coming?

3. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Oh, I nearly forgot my enormous axe.

4. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I'd throw LP's at them.

5. StevieB8363

StevieB8363 Valued Member

As soon as some fool lets the virus out of the lab. Being in Australia I'm feeling fairly secure. It's not likely the virus will be developed here. Eastern Europe perhaps? A government researching bio-weapons, or possibly just letting Umbrella Corp do it's research in exchange for buckets of cash?

Good to hear that at least some of us are well armed. Anyone want to expend on their unarmed skills vs zombies?

6. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Stick.

7. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I have a big rock from the beach

8. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

And nip down the Winchester for a pint? ;)

Currently moving house so most of my shinies won't be available to me, otherwise I'd have one hatchet, one heavy axe (multi-fuel stove) more blunt objects then I can shake a stick at (rattan sticks, weighted sticks for conditioning boken, hockey stick, jemmy bar, stuff), one katana, one wakizashi, and a fair number of smaller blades. As it stands, if it comes in the next couple of years I'll have whatever I can scrounge in London. How terrible, I'll have to start expanding my collection to include Filipino weapons and secure both locations :D

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  9. Southpaw535

I've always wondered why the shotty is the staple zombie killer. I love the things as much as anyone but low capacity + slow reload + Possibly slower action + poop ton of noise attracting every zombie in 3 miles = you dead.

edit: On the melee stuff I like the approach a guy at airsoft took

Attached Files:

10. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

For me, I don't plan on confronting zombies head on.
    My plan is to head down to the local marina, commandeer a boat and live in the middle of the river. Use a dinghy to make short runs to shore for supplies, but otherwise remain on the boat.
    In the long term, aim to travel the length of the channel and up to Lundy Island, where hopefully it will be safer.

Weapon-wise:
    • 2x Katana (one antique, one modern iaito)
    • 2x Chinese Jian 'straight sword'
    • 6x Cheap 'wall hanger' swords - could be useful in an emergency
    • 2x Chinese Broadsword (excellent for hacking and hewing)
    • 1x Toolbox containing hammers, screwdrivers, spanners etc

Armour-wise:
    Thick, multilayered clothing;
    • Combat boots
    • tracksuit bottoms underneath, heavy jeans outside
    • Tshirt underneath, sweatshirt/jumper in the middle, either a heavy leather jacket or large puffer-jacket on top
    • Gloves, preferably leather
    • Scarf to cover the neck
    • Ski goggles, or at least some form of eye cover
    • Mask to cover the nose and mouth
    • Hat to cover the top of the head

Utilities/supplies:
    • Batteries
    • Flashlight (windup one if possible)
    • First aid kid
    • Painkillers
    • Antiseptic creams/sprays
    • Radio
    • Paper
    • Pens
    • Chemical glowsticks
    • Blankets/bedding
    • Tin Opener
    • Toilet paper
    • PH stuff

Food Supplies:
    • Bottled water
    • Bottled fruit Juice
    • Other Bottled Drinks
    • Tinned food
    • Biscuits

11. Southpaw535

If I could make a suggestion Dan, wouldn't a biker jacket be less weight and less restrictive than multi layers of jumpers and jackets?

12. Dan Bian

Perhaps, but I'd feel a lot more comfortable on raiding runs having the extra layers.
    I tend to wear these kinds of layers in the winter anyway, and don't have to many mobility problems. (obvioulsy, minus the ski goggles, mouth mask, etc)

13. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Armour-wise I don't think you could beat a shark suit.

14. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I was thinking living on a river might not be a good idea, what if a zombie is killed up-river from you? Dangerous water.

15. komuso

komuso Valued Member

mate,

after your information about the aquatic capacity of our undead friends I am not entirely sure why you think we are any safer here in the land of oz. Fair enough, we get a delayed reaction from the North American experimentation, but doesn't that just give the numbers time to build up before the inevitable amphibious assault?

And you are`quie clearly unaware of both the capacity of a well made molotov and the climate up here. We are in a more or less perpetual state of flood, meaning the risk of zombie house fires is`almost zero. Brisbane actually disbanded it's fire brigade a year ago for this very reason. Mine aren't the lazy petrol and rag style bombs. With the addition of a couple of household items they are the sticky, viscous type, guaranteed to incinerate even the dampest of zombies. Dont get me wrong, a flamethrower would be better, but they are hard to come by....

paul

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I assume you mean styrofoam for the napalm effect. Climate aside it is still an unnecessary risk. One sets fire to another and another and then you have a flaming horde!!!

You might be alright in Oz as they should have bloated and decomposed by the time they get there

17. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

A flaming horde? Sounds like it should be the name of a Cocktail.

18. Dan Bian

Believe me - I don't plan on drinking the river water around here :D

19. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Or a Village People tribute band

20. komuso

komuso Valued Member

Hey, that's good news!

decompsed and bloaty could be fun. Especially if it is the sprays in all directions when you hit it kind of rotten. Stench and bio hazards aside, it means us antipodean folk can move from edged weapons to blunt smashy ones.

Zombie cricket, for example....

paul