Yup, another new member

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Tempestum, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Tempestum

Tempestum New Member

Hi everyone,

My nickname is Tempestum, and I'm new to the whole MA-scene. My real name is <removed by request>, 15 years old (I will be 16 in a few days), and I'm from the Netherlands. At this time, I never took a martial arts class, for a number of reasons.

The first one being that my parents are, well.. afraid it makes me some feral beast, and the second is that I have not found a good martial art school in this area yet. Luckily, there's been some change to that (otherwise I wouldn't be here, of course). My parents are being a little bit more open to martial arts, now I just have to convince them that I can take a class.

I'm particulary interested in some form of Kung Fu, but because I do not have much experience with the martial arts, I can't say that I'm bound to a specific form of Kung Fu. (So, yeah, just 'Kung Fu' is probably not very useful.) Hmm, my other 'hobbies' would include teasing my little brothers, meditating and being lazy behind my PC.

I've already read some of the posts here, and it seems like a good community to me. :)
    Tempestum

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2010
  2. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Welcome on board. You'll find out soon enough that we're all lovely, us MA people. Hopefully your parents will too! :D

3. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

Well, MOST of us are lovely! ;) :D Welcome!

4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Welcome to map, dont feed the fish. When you find a school take your parents along, let them see the art and talk to the instructor. My parents were dead against me doing mma, well one of them, after watching ufc once. Got him to phone my instructor and all worked out well :D

5. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Welcome to MAP :)

6. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

God help you if you try to do ninjutsu :cool:

7. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Hiya, Welcome to MAP. I hope you can get your parents on side, may be worth explaining to them that the first and enduring thing you will be taught is discipline. :)

8. progdan

progdan Valued Member

Welcome mate! :D

9. liero

liero Valued Member

welcome aboard.

If parents persist, just take them to tai chi class once and show them how calming it is,

then everytime afterthat climb the fence to the MMA gym on the other side ;)

10. Tempestum

Tempestum New Member

*grins* Thanks for the welcome everyone.
    And liero, I already gave up my ambitions to do MMA while I still live with my parents, once I live on my own, I will go straight to the MMA gym! :)