Yugei-Polite ninja

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Miran, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Miran

Miran Valued Member

Yugei 遊芸 or artistic accomplishments is one of the most neglected disciplines of modern ninjas.And I'd like to at least learn a few things more about it since I disagree with its contemporary status.
    So if you know anything about it or have some interesting link,please share it with others...

2. JibranK

JibranK Valued Member

Well, Hatsumi Sensei at least is an accomplished artist. I have seen some of his work and it is amazing; his calligraphy never fails to astound me. I have seen paintings of his in books and these are also stunning. I also have seen an excellent painting by Manaka Sensei as well.

3. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

What is it about it's contemporary status that you disagree with? Maybe we can start from that point. Me? I'm a published poet and songwriter, guitarist and artist (pencil and pen).
    Maybe it's not as neglected as you think.

4. Miran

Miran Valued Member

Well,my "artistic acomplishments" were published,yet(though I hope they will be).
    I like drawing,(rarely) painting,writing poetry,2D and 3D CG (if you guys consider it an art)...
    But my question was more concernred with the original i.e. traditional Japanese or ninpo yugei.
    I know you guys will say "...well we're westerners..."and so on but I think that there should be an official study of at least basic yugei.For example ninjas still study shichiho de though even Japanese do not dress in this way anymore.It only supports my theory of traditional basics' importance.