YouTube: My "Oldest Surviving Student"

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Dale Seago, Oct 24, 2007.

1. soyez efficaces

soyez efficaces Valued Member

so, would you like us to video tape it and put it on youtube? :D

paul

2. newblack

newblack エピクフェイル

Sorry sport, that was a joke. A subtle play for my own amusement (and of course anyone that hasn't been clocked too hard in the head). Are you Northern American perchance?

Anyway... You ask for proof? Those who know don't need to prove anything. If that is not enough, then look for job descriptions, young Kermit.

3. newblack

newblack エピクフェイル

And what is the word for knowing something and deliberately pretending not to in an attempt at humour?

Irony? Sarcasm. Just plain sad?

4. 1bad65

1bad65 Valued Member

It would sure help your argument. Actual proof often does. :) Just show it working in an alive setting.

5. 1bad65

1bad65 Valued Member

Yeah, yeah. More cool sounding pontificating to avoid having to prove anything.

Because I can use witty and mystical sounding sentences my stuff must work. All you MMA types have is actual proof. Fools!
    And you call me a muppet.

6. newblack

newblack エピクフェイル

Got me.

Watch this. I'm off to hang my head in shame because some of the men with the most dangerous jobs in the world train with my intructors.

:cry:

None of them post on Youtube.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

(Wait! You admit my pontification was 'cool sounding'? I can feel the tears begin to dry!)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  7. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Yeah I've noticed there's lots of us IT techs in the Bujinkan :eek:

Hey those users can get dam abusive at times. :D :D :D

8. Big Will

Big Will Ninpô Ikkan

Holy crap! You have empirical evidence of that MMA works in a real unexpected life or death situation? :eek:

I had no idea one could prove that with any martial art. I'm very eager to see the proof mentioned here :)

9. soyez efficaces

soyez efficaces Valued Member

a swede?

hey, whats a swede doing here? :D

Big Will, maybe we should take cameras to training for Youtube. If our instructors ask us why, just say "..its for Youtube Sensei" :)

if only we were that weak to our egos. Some are(the young), some aren't(the more experienced).

paul

10. 1bad65

1bad65 Valued Member

Thats what I love about these ninja types. They can't control a 'sportfighter' in an alive sparring session, but they are fully convinced they can defeat an armed madman bent on killing them or the ones they are protecting.

Just like my old friend, he can't fix a Ford Taurus, but he is a master mechanic on these street racing cars he talks about all the time.

11. elftengu

elftengu Banned Banned

The other day I was setting up a training event,and the company has recently changed to widescreen laptops which wouldn't work with the projector.

If it weren't for my ninja training I would never have thought to try Fn+F8.

It's a dangerous world out there!

12. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

1bad65 do you have a reason to post here? Or are you, like many others that visit us just here to spew the same tired old "No video, no proof", "You don't compete, you're ineffective", etc... ? If so, kindly go away. We've heard it enough and for most of us, it won't change our minds.

If you're here to stir the pot, leave. If you are here to add something constructive, whether criticism of compliment, then by all means do so.

13. 1bad65

1bad65 Valued Member

Not here to stir the pot at all. Like Cannovar said, the OP is the one who first told of the fantastic 'guns and grenade' story. So I, like him, asked why NONE of these exploits are ever able to be proven or captured on video. Considering Dale's buddies in Brazil are in such high crime areas, they may want to invest in a security system, especially one with video cameras. Any security expert should know this.

I also provided a pretty good analagy (if I do say so myself). :)

I do think my question about not being able to control a sportfighter, but knowing you can defeat an armed madman bent on death and destruction is a good question too.

14. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

sigged!

15. adouglasmhor

How about a junkie ned armed with a wine bottle - will that do?

16. Dale Seago

Dale Seago Matthew 7:6

You haven't seen me on the job, either. In fact, few people have, even though a few months ago, for example, I frequently accompanied a principal to press conferences with the media. TV cameras rolling like crazy, but I don't appear in the footage. Actually I'm not hard to see when I'm working, it's more that people don't notice me unless, for some reason, I need to make them aware that I notice them.

Now that is genuinely funny, since being able to do the latter when necessary -- and yes, I have done it in the real world and so have some of my students (though you're free to disbelieve since it's not on YouTube) -- is how I make my living.

I suspect that what Newblack is talking about is the kind of thing addressed in these exchanges with Connovar:

But don't despair, 1bad65. If you REALLY want to see me on video it's out there, though it's two years old and not on YouTube:

http://www.modernknives.com/issue3.htm

They do have a single-issue subscription rate, and apart from seeing me and a couple of my students doing our thing (yes, they get showcased as well) you can get an idea of what's considered to be "the state of the art" in knife combatives outside the Bujinkan from Pete Kautz, James Keating, and others. It's an instructional segment, but you still get to see some unscripted, live, real-time stuff going on.

If memory serves correctly, Brad Ellin has seen it.

When you get right down to it, though, my personal peace of mind and ability to sleep soundly at night do not depend on satisfying your curiosity. :)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  17. 1bad65

1bad65 Valued Member

That's good. I did not know that press conferences with principals were life-and-death, but I guess you live and learn. Being there as a bodyguard and having nothing happen is great. You did your job. It's like the Secret Service, you wan't nothing to happen. Great job. My point is how can you be sure you can control an armed nut when the chips are down if you can't control a 'sportfighter'?

Just because you get hired to protect someone does not in my book make you an expert in fighting. They are two DIFFERENT things. And I'm not insulting you, you are probably a great bodyguard, but fighting and guarding principals are two different things. Peter Popoff gets paid to heal people, it does not make him a great doctor.

Also, the military is now starting to use BJJ/MMA techniques in their hand-to-hand combat training. Why would the military use those sportfighting techniques over ninjitsu? I guess the military must just be ignorant like us MMA types.

I'm at work, I'll look at it later. Is it video of your stuff working in an 'alive' setting? That's what I'm interested in.

Oh, what's this obsession with YouTube?

18. 1bad65

1bad65 Valued Member

That could be interesting. Where is the link?

It must be YouTube. Only YouTube counts. :) jk, post the link, I'll look at it.

19. adouglasmhor

Never said there was video.

20. 1bad65

1bad65 Valued Member

I should have known.

There is alot of vids of those 'neds' getting KO'd and stuff on YouTube though.