YouTube: My "Oldest Surviving Student"

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Dale Seago, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Connovar

Connovar Banned Banned

Ooooooh all these ruffled feathers!

Well sometimes the truth just hurts!

Perhaps some day one of your 15th Dans will stop hiding behind the ninja facade and actually shows the world some actual fighing ability. However that would require some real courage and honesty so we wont hold our breath. Stories and innuendos from them mean nothing.

Fortunately there are a few well ranked individuals that are willing to leave their protected sanctuaries and really test themselves and their techniques. For example I have seen live and in video the much maligned Steve Hayes be put to a realistic test. I have seen Dan Weidman rolling with some accomplished grapplers. To them and others my hat is off.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2007
  2. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

And this has what to do with the OP? Nothing that I can see. Connovar, you obviously have a problem with the Bujinkan. Take it elsewhere. This thread is not the place for it.

3. Connovar

Connovar Banned Banned

Oh, but it does Brad

Mr Diego goes crowing about his first student and then goes on crowing on about his studentg taking care of these "macho brazilians". First the story is one of handguns and handgrenades and then switchs to naked strangles.

Quite a strange story if you think about it. Did Seago's student block all the bullets and then pitch the grenade at the last minute out the window resulting in hand to hand combat.I think not and most reasonable people wouldnt either.

If Seago wants to impress us with the quality of his students I think he could do better. Assuming they are any good at all........
    It just another story. Another fairy tale if you will. If Seago wants to impress us with the quality his students I think there are better ways to do it.

4. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

I'm split on this one.
    Connovar this does have little to do with the OP and his thread.
    Though I do agree as I have seen people chastized on here with no one ever going to see or feel their stuff.

I agree with Hendrys comment on self titleage. That is the students responsibility. I refuse to call any teacher by anything other than Sensei, thats proper etqiuette. I also do know alot of them that refer themselves as Shihan or whatever which is pretty poor.
    Added pet peeve by the way. Using the title before the name, so junior of an error.
    Thats why we see Hatsumi Sensei, not Sensei Hatsumi. Now maybe I am incorrect but doing that makes the title more important than the family name. Am I wrong

Sorry that was a little drift too LOL

But lets keep this a little nicer and I gather Brad wouldn't care to be refered to as Bradley in such a cynical tone.

5. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Still don't see what Connovar's rant has to do with the original post. Instead he goes on about "Perhaps some day one of your 15th Dans will stop hiding behind the ninja facade and actually shows the world some actual fighing ability."

Who said the video Dale posted was anything but a demo? Nowhere do I recall a measure of anyone's fighting ability. Something someone else put together and Dale thought they those of us here might be interested in.

If it's Dale's you're referring to, that has nothing to do with the OP either. Dale has no need to impress anybody about the quality of his students. I doubt Dale expects anyone to be impressed by him either. But, I would think his surviving the type of career he has and still working in it, somewhat of a testament to his abilities.

I've met Dale. Have you? Ever train with him? Ever sit and talk to him over a drink? Until you do, reserve judgement.

I stand by my original comments.

6. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

Agreed,
    And I have met Dale, briefly he seemed like a pretty genuine person. On stage at the TaiKai he was great as well.

7. bigred

bigred New Member

Not that I can convince you Connovar but Mike IS very skilled regardless of whether you want to believe any of his stories. Honestly I have a hard time believing his stories and I respect the guy.

Not that I'm comparing Mike to Takamatsu but if I had known Takamatsu I probably wouldn't have believed half his stories either :) Sixty vs. one? Fighting a bunch of construction workers on a roof with only your legs? Giant tapeworm cut into pieces... say what!?

Anyway if you met Mike you'd definitely be able to tell he's the type of person to throw down. He and his "little" brother are no joke.

I'm one of Dale's long time students too but I don't possess the crazy throw-down-at-the-drop-of-a-hat gene. I think some people are just born with that whether they train or not.

As far as Bujinkan folks being braggarts ... I think I've only met a couple in 16 years that would qualify. Big egos, yes lots of those, braggarts no.

Jeff

8. Zannen!

Zannen! Banned Banned

The Takamatsu sensei story about the 60 against one was in the Newspaper. :D

9. Dale Seago

Dale Seago Matthew 7:6

I think my criticism of Crow setting up a "straw man" by trying to make an issue of things I never said (www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1321072#post1321072) is even more applicable here.

Perhaps you have me confused with Don Diego de la Vega, a.k.a. Zorro? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zorro) My family name is a place-name deriving from Seagoe Parish in Co. Armagh, Northern Ireland.

I think I'm justified in feeling gratified that a student of mine has done well enough for himself that he's now the senior instructor of our art in the country where he chooses to reside.

What you want to inflate it into is one thing. What I actually said (www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1321072#post1321072) was

If you have any idea of what Brazilian culture is like, you'd know it would be almost inconceivable for some such thing NOT to have occurred: New guy in town. . .foreigner at that. . .teaching a very "different" sort of martial art.

Mentioned by me to Kagete in post #30:

Wasn't anything I said or commented on. See post #35:

There you go with the straw man thing again. Unless you just have major issues with reading comprehension. Simien didn't do a thing. He didn't have to and coudn't have anyway, because it happened to some other Bujinkan school down there. I'm going to repeat something I just said above, only this time I'm going to highlight part of it in bold:

You mean better than the things you've alleged I said, but that I never did?

While I'm on about that sort of thing, in post #41 you said,

What is this "ninja facade" you're talking about? I've been consistently clear about what I regard ninjutsu to be, most recently expressed here:

That would hardly be very ninja-like, now would it? ;)

Some of us may have different criteria for what constitutes effective or appropriate testing of ourselves. For me, every day in the real world on the job is a test. If I, or someone under my protection, get killed or kidnapped or seriously injured, I fail.

As it happens, there are some non-Bujinkan people I feel are qualified to evaluate my ability, within the context of the arena in which I actually apply it. You could start with my executive/dignitary protection course instructors at ITG (www.itg4.com). (Yes, I had exposure to the work via my military background, as well as on-the-job training and operational experience while with The Steele Foundation. But I didn't have any formal course certification in that niche of the security industry I could put on a resume, so I went through ITG's program about 3 & 1/2 years ago.)

My course instructors were:

David L. Johnson

Jake Ashton

Gale R.Ericksen

Mark K. Moore

The ITG Faculty page is at http://www.itg4.com/view/internatio...ection-training-and-operations---faculty.aspx. Scroll down and click on their names and check out their profiles. These are people who know what I can do, and you're very welcome to contact them and solicit their opinions.

Or you could just look at their Links Page. They don't have a lot of links there, only 10 in fact. But take a look at number 7.

Finally, had it been my intention to "impress" anyone with the awesomeness of Mike Simien's taijutsu, I wouldn't have posted something from six years ago. There are all sorts of unnecessary "flourishes" in his movement, exaggerations in his posture, etc. in the video which are not found in his "shinken taijutsu" -- hence my remark about his being "flamboyant". Anyone thinking that the video represents what he'd be like (or would have been even back then) in a fight would be in for a very rude surprise.

Brad, this has been a serious digression and I apologize. I felt it was necessary to address some of Connovar's misstatements.

10. Connovar

Connovar Banned Banned

During my corporate career I was very familiar with the "private security world" and often literally was elbow to elbow with them. As such their strenghts to me seemed to consist of drinking coffee, watching monitors and overselling their value to corporate management. So his civilian career to me means squat.

As regards Seago personally if he ever wants to meet that could possible be arranged depending upon traveling schedules and the like but personally I have little interest unless he was willing to go to the mat. I will call on him it out when ever he makes innuendos such as he made here. So if he doesnt like it then I would suggest he shut it.

Regarding you Brad you used to be a decent mod IMO and you left with a good rep.I dont know what happended in the interum before you came back. A thread that was started in fact to discuss this problem you in fact personally closed to prevent further discussion and I wasnt even a part of it. So whats the deal there.

11. shadow_ronin

shadow_ronin Banned Banned

A good strategist knows when it's time to make a tactical withdrawal.

If your abilities on the mat are anywhere near as good as your arguments then you have already lost.

Hats off to Mr Seago

12. Zannen!

Zannen! Banned Banned

Why does every discussion ends with having to go to the mat? Real life doesn`t require a mat. :D How about a parking lot, or a park, or a crowded train, or... or... how about a big cup of ... ???
    Seriously, I fail to understand why people constantly want to fight over the internet, there is no virtual mat to fight on.

People could always go and check out a dojo and make thier own opinions about the training while actually going there and checking it out. Slamming people (on either side of the river or train tracks) is childishm and unproductive, just check this stuff on your own or maybe use the P.M. function instead.

P.S. Connavar the majority of any professional protection is about watching and looking out for things to prevent them from happening. Also the majority of any military action is spent not fighting, hardly a means or position to launch a counter argument. For example, " He spends most his time drinking coffee and reading" this could discribe several people that can fight!

But, roll on with your fallacies. :rolleyes:

13. RentoKill

RentoKill Valued Member

Thats a very big assumption, just because your experience was that it does not follow that all corporate security work is like that.

And if you have not met the person in question how can you make a informed judgement?

Its plain foolish to do so in my opinion Bud.

14. Connovar

Connovar Banned Banned

Carefull, those brown lips of yours are showing!!!! ;)

15. Connovar

Connovar Banned Banned

Rolling is great for splitting the doers and from the sayers! You might try it some time..... well then maybe you not up to it.

16. Zannen!

Zannen! Banned Banned

I was talking about your logical fallacies. :rolleyes:

How I train is beyond the scope of the thread. Rolling maybe a great way for splitting the doers and the sayers, but hardly productive doing it over the internet.

17. Zannen!

Zannen! Banned Banned

Opps, you edited your post. :D

That may be true or false I don`t know either way. But, is that what this thread is about or are you just attacking people for the hell of it?

Sounds like you have quite a lot of traffic at your dojo. But, how many Bujinkan people come knocking on your doors? Or are you commiting another fallacy?

18. Connovar

Connovar Banned Banned

Fair amt of traffic yes. As for ninja's maybe they are hiding in the bushes! :D

Anyway, time to get back on topic dont you think!

19. Zannen!

Zannen! Banned Banned

Oh So I see, You have no evidence that High members of the Bujinkan wouldn`t do some friendly rolling if they showed up.

Ok back on topic. ;)

20. elftengu

elftengu Banned Banned

Trollovar Trollovar Trollovar!

The only thing you have achieved is to get people to bite.

You MMAers were spitting feathers over the roided up jock comments and then you come here and do exactly the same kind of misinformed generalising.

I have no intention of going to the mat with you but I'd happily throw bottles and knives at you and see how you deal with that, but then I forget, practicing MMA automatically makes you better in all situations, even those you don't train for, and you are automatically a better stick fighter than a Filipino Master, a better swordsman than a Japanese kendoka with 40 years training, and a better shot with an MP5 than a member of GSG9 all because of the time you spend on the mat.

You can argue back but I'm not interested, I've said my bit.