Your un martial arts interests?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by axelb, May 25, 2018.

1. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

I think it dépend si on the story a story well. The book I've just written was kind of made up as I went along, with a few pre determines milestones. When I wrote screen plays they'd be mapped out to the nth degree before any writing commenced. And I'm starting a new book now that's going to be somewhere in the middle. It depends a bit on whether your focus is character, a tightly knit mystery etc...

2. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

This is very true.

Paul Auster is another example of an acomplaccomp author who subscribes to the idea of just putting pen to paper and following the flow without a pre-existing plan or narrative structure.

As Archibald said too, it does somewhat depend on the authors focus and I find with Auster that the narrative is always secondary to the vivid and nuanced internal world if the characters and their relationships to each other.

Man in The Dark is a fantastic act of self reference towards this process, containing, as it does, a meta-narrative conjoured within the mind of a single protagonist as they lie awake in bed.

Archibald likes this.
  3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Did nobody else grow out of D&D (I started in 76 I think) into the glories of RuneQuest and Call of Cthulhu?

Thomas likes this.
  4. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Glories of runequest? er No!

Call of Cthulhu is different - It is on my list of two games that I dont play because they are too good.

Cthulhu is fantastic for creating a Lovecraftian atmosphere of inevitable corruption and decay, where a swift death is the best you can hope for. Fantastic but not my thing.

The other game is the board game Diplomacy - banned from every game club I have ever been in. a fantastic, elegant, unique game, but nobody talks to each other for at least a month afterwards. because what happens in Diplomacy never stays in Diplomacy.

Mitch and Knee Rider like this.
  5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

RuneQuest is superb, by far the best role-playing game and mythical at a deep level. Genuinely superb.

I know what you mean about Cthulhu, I was just joking with a friend about having a character rolodex for it :D Some of my best games and campaigns have Bern in Cthulhu though, Masks of Nyarlathotep was stunning. Delta Green, the modern variant, is excellent too.

Anybody get really out there and play Kult?