Your un martial arts interests?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by axelb, May 25, 2018.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Video games, politics to an extent, military jazz (as in stuff, not literally military jazz bands), and got into 40k quite hard recently. Oh and napping. Napping is amazing.

axelb likes this.
  2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Outside of martial arts -- I like religion, philosophy, going to the beach, reading. Back when I was young I read all the time. Then when I got into the real world I couldn't do that anymore, but now and then I get to binge. I agree with Mitch -- poetry is king. But I enjoy a lot of books, both fiction and non-fiction.
    Jazz and blues music are also king, but the first 2 stations on my car radio are 60/70's rock.
    And Netflix. I love decompressing by binge-watching shows!

axelb likes this.
  3. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

40k as in warhammer? I always saw people playing at the gaming shop I frequented in college (wow which was 15+ years ago now), which had 4 tables set up for it, but never found time to get into it.
    I have played some 40k video games.

4. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Scuba and snorkelling. i used to go jungling before arthritis did my feet in. theoretical ecology. economics. dungeons and dragons. cycling. writing. hope to have the first complete draft of a book that has taken me over 20 years to write that nobody will read - finished by the end of this year.

Nachi and Jaydub like this.
  5. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

What is your book about?

6. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Bird watching/spotting (depending on whether I'm on my own or with the kids) , air guns , though I don't find much time to actually shoot them at the moment and mountain biking , though I kind of class that as auxiliary training to my ma training.

Nachi likes this.
  7. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Its a re -working and unification of the science of ecology around first principles. with an explanation of how much of business and economics can be seen as a sub set of ecology. It has a peculiar combination of rigorous systematic approach with very off the wall thinking.

Currently watching a recording of an LSE lecture on the fall of US economic growth just for fun.

Jaydub and David Harrison like this.
  8. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I enjoy taking the brown bin out on Sundays, showing active listening and getting shouted at by my partner.

hewho, Mitch, Van Zandt and 2 others like this.
  9. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Have you ever thought of combining your bird watching with your air guns ? You could save time and get two birds with one stone!

Jaydub and David Harrison like this.
  10. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Wow, that's epic. No wonder it's taken you so long!

11. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

I was thinking the same thing! :D

12. melbgoju

melbgoju Valued Member

Seriously? I teach biology and theory of knowledge (an IB subject for Y11 and Y12 students which, amongst other things investigates the methodologies that the human sciences use to generate knowledge) and was having a discussion just the other day with one of our economics teachers about how many similarities economics had with ecological studies (I was an ecologist by training before I became a teacher).
    What a great subject for a book!

13. melbgoju

melbgoju Valued Member

Me too, although with the kids these days there are fewer opportunities. Still, I can still get a good 60-70 spp. a week without really trying - one of the reasons we bought where we were is its proximity to a nice bit of parkland and the Yarra River, which means I hardly need to leave home to see plenty of birds.

My other out-of-karate hobbies are woodworking, primarily using hand-tools only; and outdoor activities - hiking, camping, fishing. There's a bit of cross-over between the two; I built my own canoe and I'm looking at building a bow in the near future to get into hunting the feral animals in state forest when I'm hiking.

David Harrison likes this.
  14. David Harrison

Nice!

Are you going to go all natural and use sinew and homemade animal glue?

15. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I like pen-and-paper role-playing games (D&D, Mechwarrior) and tabletop-strategy games (Warmachines, Battletech) with my kids.

I like video games, and am really hooked on Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild at the moment.

Is watching The Expanse a hobby? Because, yeah, that show is amazing.

I like shooting sports. I'm more into revolvers and shotguns than AR-15s and Glocks, but to each their own.

16. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

In a former life. I used to run restaurants (which is evident with my food posts).

Also got a degree in film making. For about a year in Hong Kong I worked on a lot of films and adverts.

Altho my main job, apart from being a general Assistant to the higher ups, was Storyboarding.

Basically someone gives me a script and I draw a comic book out of it. To give the Director and Director of Photography (main cameraman) a visual representation.

I also earned extra money as an Extra and did the odd stunt.

Nachi, axelb and David Harrison like this.
  17. David Harrison

Seconded! I can't wait to see season 3.

That's very cool! Were you ever involved in producing animatics?

18. melbgoju

melbgoju Valued Member

To begin with, sort-of - I'm thinking of a mollegabet-style with rawhide backing, but I might just use a pva glue, or maybe a commercial hide-glue (I have both already, but my double-boiler for the hide glue is a bit temperamental, so I might just go for the easier option of titebond II). Or, just back it with fibreglass (which I also have). It'll be a fun experiment and I don't think I'll only be making just one, so I don't feel too stressed about trying different things to see what works best.

19. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I forgot horses. I rode a bit as a kid, and a colleague of mine is an equine therapist (performs physical therapies on horses). It's a line of work I'm interested in and I want to get back into riding more regularly (if only so I can carry a shotgun on horseback like Rick in The Walking Dead).

axelb likes this.
  20. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Well this was 1999 where it was still pencils and pens. And then hand in a book.
    When I did my work CV, I did digitise and edited on Final Cut Pro. Then I left the industry after gaining my degree in film making for person reasons.

Most of my friends are still in the film industry in various departments. When I find out one is working on a big studio work and they have signed a confidentiality contract, thats when I start playing with em to get info lol

axelb and David Harrison like this.