Your treatment for depression?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Nihil, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Nihil

Nihil New Member

Not sure where to put this post but anyway:

I was wondering what your treatment(s) for depression is [when it hits you]?

2. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Never had serious depression, but when something gets me down, I look for the root cause, and change whatever the problem is, if its mental I change my outlook, if its physical I either act to affect it or change my outlook on it.

Exercise, sleep, good food, video games, hanging with friends, doing things you enjoy can help take your mind off things, relax and get more perspective.

3. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

The only thing that worked/works for me is staying active. Any activity/exercise that keeps me from crawling into bed and not coming out for days.
    Activity/exercise is very good all round for body/mind, hormones, energy etc.

Other important things to bare in mind are diet (this ones very important), daily routine and problem areas, the people you're surrounding yourself with, sleep patterns etc

4. Leppi

Leppi New Member

Recently I have found working out to be the best cure. Talking about or solving whatever the problem is if there is one also helps if you can do that. Failing either of those being possible there is always Whiskey, but that is not a solution that I would recommend.

5. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

if it's serious go see a dr., and exercise has proven to help with copeing with it

6. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Medication + Exercise = Happy person :)

It's working for me. :D

7. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

After my clot I suffered from depression - my mood would go from overly happy to just down-right depressed, which it was most of the time. It was a nightmare. I couldn't work out to relieve it (couldn't stand up at this point), couldn't leave the house, couldn't eat. Was a right mess!

So I set myself little targets to try and reach. Mine were recovery-related but it worked. Having something to work and aim for was hard, but I got good satisfaction from reaching them.

I don't think you can be told what to treat it with. You kind of have to find your own thing like I did. :)

8. Hsoj

Hsoj Valued Member

I've had to deal with serious depression throughout my entire life. What's helped me is simply adopting apathy towards situations and living completely care free while I'm depressed. I have a paper due tomorrow for school? I don't do it. I have to work out or go to class, I won't go. I have any commitments that I can by any means break, I break them and instead do little things that make me happy like play video games, walk in the woods, hang out with friends ect. Now, I don't just drop my responsibilities. Once I feel well again I pick them back up and take care of everything that I left laying around. So I don't get rid of my responsibilities, I simply post pone them untill I feel well enough to handle them. You simply have to distance yourself from any stressors untill you feel better I think. But then again, this is just me and I wouldn't recomend it for anyone else as I don't know how they would handle it.

9. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

My depressions organic, too much seratonin. So I take a seratonin inhibitor plus lots of exercise and watching what I eat.

10. Roual

Roual Eternally curious...

I'd say a few very close friends are the key to beating depression.

You can go out with them and have fun, or just sit and talk to them. It can be hard to find a friend who is willing to help you through depression, but then if they're not willing to help, are they really a friend?

I've always found that not spending too much time on my own helps me, but like someone said before, it can depend on what's causing it.

I wouldn't recommend going to see a Dr. unless you really have too, he'll probably just give you some happy pills and send you on your way.

11. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

If you go to the docs they will give you Fluoxetine hydrochloride or Lustral. Fluoxetine hydrochloride is basically prozac and Lustral is for obsessive compulsive and people that want to do self harm.

Both take between 1 week and 1 month to have a significant effect upon the body. Fluoxetine hydrochloride is the most common.

12. xen

xen insanity by design

St johns wort is a popular herbal remedy for depression, but do your own research into its use/effectiveness and discuss it with your doctor. It can have adverse reactions when taken with other drugs.

13. Nihil

Nihil New Member

Keeping active is the only that has ever worked for me in the long-term as well, and keeping my mind calm.
    Keeping active, close friends, and medication seems the common thread.

I used to be drawn to escapism when I was depressed, initially it was harmless and I would just watch films all the time, but my mind has always been creative and I would soon daydream half the day away, making up stories in my head and creating a substitute life in my daydreams...that was my whole day, everyday.
    Eventually it got out of hand and I had a minor breakdown.

I first became aware of it as a problem during my psychological evaluation for army-recruitment, before that I thought I was somehow being punished by God and that I was not meant to be here.
    They diagnised me with clinical depression, due to very low self-esteem.
    I did not want any synthetic medication so the councelor got me into exercising, meditation, changed my whole diet, got me to read books on taoism and buddhism, and listen to ambient music.
    Those books are still my favourites; 'the Tao of Pooh/Te of Piglet' by B.Hoff, still have the same copies.

I have never really had close friends or family, so I always have to deal my problems by myself, which I ultimately think is a good thing.
    The taoist way of thinking really works for me as well.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  14. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I used to have some good friends but we kind of drifted apart. When I got depressed I could talk to them and be happy again. Now I just know a few people I sit next to in lectures but I only talk small talk with them. I suppose it took a fewe years of high school before I knew people there so maybe I will know people better next year.

Keeping busy, numbs depression. Talking to people is best, even if it is just small talk.

15. Crimson_Stone

Crimson_Stone Stay Puft

Sex
    [​IMG]
    And LOTS of IT

16. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

Seconded. Worked for me.

17. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I take a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (prozac.) Apart from that, I heard shoulderstands were good (I'm a bit suspicious, but what the hell. It's gotta be worth a shot), so I do those ever night. I also go running in the morning, which helps.

18. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

I ignore it. Or else listen to nifty music, hang out with my buddies etc.

19. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

you ignore it? Depression? I'm not on about feeling down now, that's not being depressed.

20. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

I agree with spooky. Maybe going out with your buddies is good when you're feeling down, but it's the last thing you want when you have depression.

I suppose it may depend on the level you have it though..