Your three techniques.

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Happy Feet Cotton Tail, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

Quite simple, three all purpose techniques that when trained you find to be the most useful.

1. Low sweeping back leg round house to the front calf- With a bit of practise this kick is an easy way to put an attacker on his ass, allowing for the person in question to press up and finish the attack, move past the attacker, or run away.

A good martial artists stance will have trouble staying upright when hit with this, and your average yobbo will ussually go down like a sack of potatoes with just 65-70% force.

And it is again an unexpected attack.

2. Jab, Horizontal elbow. I execute the elbow more like a "lunging close-line", the elbows striking power on it's own, combined with forward momentum of your forward step, will carry you right down the centre line and delivering a blow which generally speaking will hit hard and send idea's of retreating through your attackers head, if the assialant has not already been incapacitated.

Again the vast majority of assailants will not be watching their centreline let alone check for an elbow strike. The elbow is also relatively solid and their is litttle chance of an injury.

3. Palm strike to the chin, combined with a leg sweep, a simple take down to floor attackers who get too close, also when the palms push rather than strike the chin, it becomes an easy way to defend from possible headbuts, and remove opponent balance and sight, forcing them to break clinch.

I would like to point out these are not necessarily "Must have" techniques, (like a guard or a balanced stance) but techniques that you find particularly relevant/useful in self defence.

Basically 3 techniques in your personal self defence arsenal.

2. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

A good martial artist will not have all his / her weight on the front foot allowing them to fall for such a move... I love how the "street thug" always has little or no experience of fighting yet they seem to jump people all the time.

My routine is

1. My mouth

(I *now* try and talk my way out or the attacker down, with a pinch of humor)

2. My legs

(I walk home)

3. I close my front door

(I was not born in a barn)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Shoot them, stab them, hit 'em with something hard 'n' heavy.

4. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Oh well this was a productive thread..............................................

Doug, experience does NOT equal skill, i have used the low round house and it worked fine.

And no a good martial artist will not have all his wieght on his front leg, they may place some weight on it, and when swept that can de-stabilise.

Anyone care to give their three techniques, which are to be used, once the physical confrontation has started?

5. Moi

You need to get out more. Defence depends on how and who is attacking you. Relying on three set techniques is theory.

6. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Did I not make it clear that this is for fun and learning, something for us to share insight with one another on what works? What we feel is worth training over others, not the only three you willl ever need!!!

I spoke at no point about limiting training to three techniques.

7. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Same old same old....SAS
    surprise aggression and sustain.
    koyo

8. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

What Moi said!!

My stuff is always from a modified fence, assuming I've seen the situation developing and can't get away and that I haven't been stupid enough to get taken by surprise.

It might be a shove, good hard one backed up by some verbal, or a right hand based around the Shinden Fudo stlye of punching we use in the Bujinkan.

My aims are, with any luck, create distance, control space and take the initative so I suppose those are my three how they are achieved is going to be dictated by the situation.

Work with what you are given rather than force something that may be inapropriate for the situation.

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

1. The fence.

2. Cover blocks/Crazy Monkey/ whatever you want to call it.

3. Striking from clinch

4. Ground and pound plus escaping ground and pound.

There aren't particular techniques to my mind, I even have real difficulty with pre-emptive strikes for most people/situations.

I do know that distancing, maintaining the attack and striking aggressively for continued advantage are both important and very difficult. The bulletmen badguys say that the people who are most successful against them are the ones who are aggressive and keep attacking (aggression and sustain as Koyo says).

My sessions with jwt and High Gear have shown that getting students (and myself) to continually drive forward and attack is difficult. After an initial exchange of aggressive blows most people's reaction is to back away and take guard, looking to protect themselves, remove themselves from the situation, rather than driving home an advantage. This latter is critical IMO.

Mitch

Mitch

10. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

if you sweep my front leg all your going to do is help me lift it and it will be swiftly followed by a nice twisting kick / side kick or hooking kick.

If I wanted to attack you chances are you would not even know about it id be so close that by the time you finished talking, my head and knee would be connecting to your body.

Instead of just asking about or trying to use 3 golden tools that if you are put under enough pressure i can say you would not use. work on being attacked from angles, have students or friends apply "attacking pressure" see what works up close when you have 3 people coming at you 1-2 combos simply do not work

Hitting the attacker hard will not make him think "hmm this hurts should i stop" no... he will simply keep coming and coming at you, your job is to get out and home and if needs be drop him and walk away

11. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

Knee shot

elbow to the head or available target

neck break,

silat at its's basic level

12. Morra

Morra Valued Member

1. "Wait a second... don't I know your cousin?" Then, in that split second they're thinking, smash them in the head with an elbow.

2. Shell and jam in to clinch to deliver knees and elbows

3. Take it to the ground: scarf hold (deliver neck cranks, arm bars, or shoulder cranks); or paper cutter from North/South; or ground and pound from (short/modern) knee mount.

13. SB1970

SB1970 Valued Member

I move(sort of lol) from a fence to a forarm smash to the face with full body weight and (hopefully) good foot work into a sweep and then run like hell.......
    When I did use this after I was jumped coming home from work at 2am(used to work hotels and bars) it took me 10 minutes to work out what I did-after I got home and stopped shaking enough to pour a whisky and get myself together-horrible thing real violence

and the real joke is none of the above was learnt in a dojo or training hall,it was learnt on a rugby pitch-go figure..................

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  14. Ironized

Ironized Valued Member

eh, moves that spring to mind?

knife hand strikes to the neck, which ever one will work best in that situation.

Kick to their stomach/face[which ever works] and run.
    if im up close, twin punch or twin uperset punch.

punches to the kidney come to mind pretty quick to.

then there are always the take downs and sweeps.

though these are just things that jump to mind. It depends on where you are compared to your opponent.
    full face, half facing, distance, opposite stances, where he is guarding, where you are guarding, what your standing on, what obstacles there are. how far away you are from help.

really having three favorite or most used techniques will leave you in a bad position if someone attacks you and none of the attacks work.
    then again, you could just carry a gun around....

edit: What is this fence thing....

15. SB1970

SB1970 Valued Member

a fence is a way on control the space directly in front of you-it was made popular by Geoff Thompson and is used by boucers-you put your arms infront of you like you are carring a tray with your palms of your hands facing down then slightly up turned like your going to play pat a cake-not the clearest disciption but you get the idea(I hope):)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  16. Ironized

Ironized Valued Member

so you put hands out palms facing down, to keep them at distance, when they get to close, face palms at them and shove them?

17. SB1970

SB1970 Valued Member

or control a limb or parry,or just clench a fist and chin them lol, which ever feels right at the timei,t sounds simple but with quick footwork it can be a very effective tool

18. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

It's a means of controling distance, everones fence is different but should use the same principles one of which is that it shouldn't be obvious, you don't want the other guy to know you are controling that gap and in effect him. If he realises that then he may escalate things.

There are times when you may wish to make it obvious of course.

19. Moi

Ok serious answer.

Headbut & headbut defence

Straight punches

Couple of kicks to finish them off, footballer style.

20. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

For self defence against an 'average opponent':

Push down their guard, something to the throat then something to the groin.