Your thoughts ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by bassai, Jan 26, 2013.

1. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-21213789

TLDR version
    A man wearing a gas mask attempted to hold up a bookies with (it now seems) a fake pistol.
    He was tackled to the ground and restrained , where he died.
    Obviously exact cause of death hasn't been released yet but I suspect it will be down to some form of aspyxiation/strangulation.

This story raises a couple of points for me
    1/ would I have had the bottle to have tackled an armed (as it appeared) man ?
    2/ Could I have restrained him in a safer manner ?

On reflection I think my answers would be

1/ I think it would be very situational for me , my kids wouldn't have been present so as long as it looked like the cashier was going hand over the money I would try just to be a good witness.
    2/This is more interesting to me , as like most people I know a fairly wide range of restraining techniques , but under pressure at a sim day I always seemed to go for chokes as restraints.

I'd be interested to hear views from some of the members in law enforcement , especially how open you would be to prosecution in this situation.

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

The fact he had a gun is important. I was discussing this with JWT earlier and we both thought prosecution was unlikely as he posed a lethal threat. the gasmask meant they would be unable to tell he was in trouble during the restraint.

Unless there were other events not yet reported I think they are unlikely to face any prosecution as their actions were both reasonable and proportionate.

Mitch

3. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

Most likely compression asphyxiation.

Not sure how it works over there but I would hope they would be praised not prosecuted.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Lethal force threats can generally be met with lethal force - in the case they actually went for a NON lethal option and the guy died as a bi-product rather than intent

Prosecution highly unlikely

In a similar situation in duty it is likely I would have shot him

5. bassai

This is my thought also , but as i'm fairly naive when it comes to legal stuff and I know there're some clever people on here I thought I'd ask

Seems like that's how it will pan out , but you never know.

6. bassai

And I would've fully supported you , I'm a big believer in people who use imitation weapons should be treated as they were real.

7. Hannibal

You usually can't tell the difference until after the event

8. bassai

Exactly , but when arrested these clowns tend to yell "it was only a fake" at the top of their lungs like they should get a lighter sentence.

9. Hannibal

Yup! A bit like using erectile disfunction as a rape defence.....yeah I went there

10. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

would love to know how he actually died from being restrained, they didn't mention the gas mask on the news, I wonder if that could have contributed in some way ?

11. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Positional asphyxiation is extremely common. That's why prone restraints are frowned upon.

12. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

Like I said compression asphyxiation and the gas mask may have made it worse.

13. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Here's the link to the BBC article. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-21213789

Some MMA guys have used gas masks in training so I read somewhere, specifically to make breathing harder, so they must have some effect.

Mitch