Your style and preferances

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Al_Bundy, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Al_Bundy

Al_Bundy Valued Member

Do you strive to learn the basic techniques (by that i mean boxing techniques, front kick, round kicks, clinch) to the fullest, or do you like to spend some time learning the strikes that are less common, like rear thrust, flying knee, spinning backfist/elbow/back kick, running kicks ect.?
    Also, do you ever take time to develop new combinations? If so, feel free to post some of them here, i'm always looking for new ways to outsmart my opponents.

Personally, i try to develop those basic techniques to the max. I've been working alot on reading opponents moves and just improving my timing accordingly. It's a blast landing a high kick just by reading your opponents patterns and timing the kick correctly. :D

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  2. Red Bull

Red Bull Valued Member

That fancy stuff I find to be alot of fun to learn and experiment a little in sparring. They're pretty risky in a proper bout but it's one of the last things your opponent would expect. :D I personally love throwing high round kicks to the head, I'm no crocop, but its great fun.

Of course I also spend time working on my combos. It would kinda suck if I used the same ones all the time, now wouldn't it?

3. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Rear roundhouse less common al? :)

4. Al_Bundy

Al_Bundy Valued Member

Yes, do u see it done more then jabs and round kicks? Dont think so

5. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Maybe we got crossed wires here Al! do you mean the rear roundhose(tae) is not used much in the Muay Thai ring? :)

6. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

oops,that should read rear roundhouse not roundhose! :)

7. Al_Bundy

Al_Bundy Valued Member

Sorry, english is not my first language. I meant spinning back kick, infact all spinning kicks, if you know what i mean. You see them in MT rings, but not all the time, ok?
    I didnt mean rear leg roundhouse kicks.

8. Al_Bundy

Al_Bundy Valued Member

there, changed in the first post

9. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Hi Al,ahh i understand now brother,spinning back kicks,yes they are not seen in the muay thai ring much at all as you said :)

10. Smee

Smee Evil kung fu genius

I think i'm a 70/30 person. 70% of the time i work on basics. 30% of the time i work on developing "advanced" techniques.

To me, thats the best balance.

By "advanced" I mean things that need skill/timing/co-ordination to make them work effectively.

To me, basics should be "do-able" pretty much anytime and from any position.

(but I know that "do-able" can be broken down further and further.......so "basic" can actually be "advanced"....that's the beauty of martial arts eh??? hahahaha)

Smee

11. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Nice one Spree,In my camp we try to get a balance of modern Muay Thai,pad work,clinch,elbow etc,and practice/understanding of history,culture including mae and luk mai techniques.

Also depending on what type of competition we have coming up then we concentrate on the specific rules of that competition,eg if we have a contest with no elbows,the guys who are competing dont train or use elbows until after the competition.

On a personal level,i love it all the same,Muay Thai,Muay Boran,Krabee Krabong,and Nuat Pen Boran(thai massage) i find them all awesum arts to learn and to train :)

12. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Down right square X Circle up.

13. UninspiredUser

UninspiredUser Valued Member

Yeah, i'm with Smee on this one.
    Rather then working on actual combos, I try to learn to make all my moves "chain" together so that I can make up a combo that attacks whatever I think is a good spot to attack at the time. Because for fighting, I don't think combos should be thrown in pre-defined patterns, but that's just me. Sorry if I completly misunderstood what you were saying! :p

14. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I mostly work on the strength of my root and the quality of my exchanges.

15. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I spend very little time learning 'advanced' techniques. The only time I find practising them of use, is so that I can learn how to deal with different or unexpected attacks.

I find it more valuable to develop more power in my basic techniques, and timing etc to pull these techniques off when they are most effective.

16. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I spend most of my time working combinations. That can be punch/kick combos... punch/kick/knee combos... or simply just solid 4-5 punch combos with slips worked in. Feints are also something I work nonstop.

I find that soooooo many nak muays are flat footed. Their head is always in the same spot. They have very little upper body movement at all. I can often throw punches without having to look because I know where his head is going to be... right where it's always at... bang in the centre.

If you've ever had to fight or spar with anyone who comes from a boxing background... you will very quickly realize how stationary soooo many nak muays are. Very little upper body movement. :(

I rarely work and spinning back kicks or spinning backfists... I find that over all they're relatively easy to defend against. I'm more and more working boxing routines into my muay thai.

Here's a great basic combo that sound deceptively simple:

Fire your left jab
    Slip opponents left jab by a slip to the right
    Return fire immediately from right slipped position with the right cross
    Now rapidly slip left to avoid opponents right cross
    Counter with left hook (knuckles down style hook - elbow high) while spinning off the line to opponents outside
    Follow up with right cross... (he's now in a very bad open position and your in a great position at an angle to him to open up on him full stop and full power!)

if you still have juice... close it down with a sharp jab and step out of range.

(now it doesn't take all that much to see that it's easy to work in kicks in there as well in place of the some of the jabs or crosses... but not before you set them up properly... the point being you want to provoke a certain response out of your opponent... ideally one that opens him up to a nice clean strong shot of yours)

Now sounds all fine and well... and after a few tries on the pads you might get it... but try it in the ring with someone snapping a real jab at you and following that up with crashing right.... not so easy anymore to be actually work your slips in... because it takes nuts of steel to let those shots go within inches of your face. :D And... then on top of not getting hit you need to be able to respond with power and grace.

One of the big problems in working combos like this is you need a coach who's going to be on your ass when you get lazy and bring your jab back low. He's got to swat you in the face with the mit to keep you honest... don't start dropping your jab as you bring it back... because if your opponent has had any amatuer boxing matches he will follow your jab back in a pop you one. If he follows you back in with his jab... you'll eat that jab. If he sees that opening often enough he will wise up and follow your jab back with a powerful right and you're going to eat canvas.:eek:

Look how different Buakaw's game is now that he added some serious punching combo's to his arsenal. He's a slick puncher. He lands a lot of them. Having good hands takes hard work, dedication and practice practice practice... frankly many of the nak muays I see have crap for hands... any boxer who transfers over to MT will eat them alive.

Don't focus on all the exotics... get your basics down clean.. That means day in day out you need to be drilling them until they are a natural repsonse.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  17. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Slip,those 2 counters to the jab are exactly what i teach my guys as a hand counters,and also what i learnt in Thailand,the problem with them over in the Thailand rings are (as im sure you will know) the Thai fighters eyes are so sharp and they counter the the counter a lot of the time!.
    I have slipped inside the jab with a high left hook in mind and been hit with a curved knee before i could get the hook off!
    also when ive slipped inside and attempted a left hook to body(tight) i have been hit with a right elbow! admittedly that was by Hippy Sigmani!,
    im not saying the slips and counters dont work as they do,but it is easier to get them in in the west or against the non thai fighter than it is in the rings of Thailand imho.

Buakow always had the hands he has got now,he just realised that his opponents eyes and techniques were not as good as the fighters he had been up against in Thailand so obviously without the use of knee to head,limited clinch and no elbow he felt it was a good opportunity to box more,as you say it is most effective for him.

My 2nd Muay Thai Ajarn fought in the 1960s(in Thailand) in that era the boxers punched and evaded punches a lot more,he used to slip the jabs and crosses with his head real low to the knee of his opponent,he would tell me not to worry about the knee if i get in tight id be ok,he also used the jab to counter elbows by using anticipation and range :)

18. Al_Bundy

Al_Bundy Valued Member

Will definately try to work out that combo slip posted. Doing a similar one, just with backward-forward motion, instead of slipping right-left.

Heres something simple, but effective:
    left direct, right cross, left hook to the body (get in from the left side a little), right high kick.

It's all about timing that high kick in the end. Even a little delay is needed sometimes.

19. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

What is 'left direct'? :confused:

A left jab?

20. Al_Bundy

Al_Bundy Valued Member

lol yes.

Now i will really take some time and learn english phrases for strikes.