Your proudest martial arts moment (my 3000th post)

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Kinjiro Tsukasa, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

Yep, my 3,000th post is here (seems like I was at 2,000 just yesterday. ;) )

This time around, I'll ask: What was your proudest martial arts moment? It could be any kind of moment, not just a belt promotion.

Fire away!

2. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Wow, 3k already?! Good going :)

My proudest moment? Probably passing my first grading (9th kyu) after 6 years out. It was my first grade while taking MA seriously (before I had done it for fun) :)

Must start planning mine now, it will take me 500 posts to think!

3. baubin2

baubin2 New Member

Hmmm... my proudest MA moment....

I've only been practicing for five months, so not much is sticking out to be honest. I'd have to say it's a tie between when I got my uniform and when I put on my yellow belt for the first time. In the future, my "proudest moment" will probably be when I beat Richard at grappling, either that or when I get my blue belt, whichever comes first (at this rate it'll probably be my blue belt, but hey, one can dream)

4. Rhineville

Rhineville Valued Member

One of these two (I can't decide!)

When I won against a good friend in kata (me n her had to perform our katas twice because it was so close)

OR

When I won against my reaaally tall friend in sparring (we had to go into overtime as well)

Both of these I remember not because I won, but because they were hard earned victories against people I like to train with and compete against.

5. GeeniusAtWurk

GeeniusAtWurk Valued Member

When i beat the senior tai chi student at push hands every time. Was actually just last night.

6. taimat

taimat Valued Member

Well i would have to say the first time i was able to get my Shidoshi to react and use an advanced technique to counter my strikes while sparring. Knowing that my level of skill has risen to the point that he must work harder to stop me makes me even prouder than those few occasions that i have struck him, because he is trying to take it easy on me, or else i would never be able to train for the multitude of injuries. It left me with a bruise to be proud of even if i got smack down pretty hard.

7. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Dazed & Confused

Watching one of the kid's I'd been teaching as they developed to become dedicated to training and receiving their first grade, after starting as an unruly trouble maker forced to take part by their parents.

I'm not saying I changed their life, but it was a sense of achievement.

Oh, that and when I first kicked a senior in the head in sparring (without them letting me).

Congrats on your 3K - here goes for 30

8. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I would have to say its not really me but when my son passed his high red belt test getting him ready for black belt.

9. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

hmm, this is a tough question. I guess I'd have to say being given the "Student of the Year for 2004" award by my instructor at the Christmas party in December.

10. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

When I beat Chong Li and won the Kumite in honor of my Shidoshi, Tanaka.

11. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

My proudest martial arts moment has gotta be one time when I was an orange belt practicing axe kicks in class. After a while, I started getting criticized by my much-senior partner and the instructors, who said later "We're only on your back about proper pivot because you've really gotten good at this."

12. Stormrider

Stormrider Banned Banned

My first tournament sparring competition. Placed 3rd in it. Only medal that I didn't box up and put in storage when I moved.

13. Pete Ticali

Pete Ticali Valued Member

Its a matter of perspective

A few years back I was running a free martial arts program at a "beacon" school program in Williamsburg brooklyn. I started the program as one instructor teaching 2- one hour classes per week. One year later, we had 3 instructors and three assistants running a 42 hour/ 6 days per week program that had 550 registered members.

No, thats not the moment......

One saturday morning, I was going to the program with a guest that I invited.
    It was about 9 AM in the morning and the local stores were just opening up as I (& my guest) worked about two blocks from the parking lot to the program. As we walked, about every other person on the block (about 7 or 8)said "good morning Sensei" and I returned the greeting.

My guest made a comment that basically said " Wow, you know everybody!" to which I exclaimed, "Frankly, I don't know a single one of these people".

All I could think of is old stories of when "Sensei' were important people in their villages. Akin to Doctors, Lawyers etc. I didn't make a dime on that program and it probably will remain one of my special treasures!.

Never think your work goes unnoticed. Its just a matter of perspective.

Pete Ticali

Last edited: Jan 28, 2005
  14. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

I'd have to say earning a Bronze Medal in a TKD competition back in 1986. I was a yellow belt and it was my first competition.

15. hawkfish

hawkfish Shodan - Shotokan Karate

Congrats on your 3000th post!!!!

There have been a few moments that I have been really proud since I started taking karate but one of my favorite moments is when my Sensei told my wife and I on Tuesday that we are doing really good. The amount of respect that I have for my Sensei is huge and any comment like that from makes me proud.

16. senseidanf

senseidanf New Member

When I hear the crowd roar when ever my students do well. And when my students get that hard technique the have been working on.

My san dan after 22 years

17. glo_in_da_dark

glo_in_da_dark New Member

hmmmm... my most proudest moment....
    well, i guess it was when i received my yellow belt. i thought i wasnt gonna pass my test since i didnt break the board in one shot (hammer fist strike-- didnt clench my fist tight enough)... anyways, when my sabomnim put on my belt for me, i felt proud and this was the begining of my quest to become a black belt.

also, here's a semi proud moment that happened yesterday: we did sparring at my dojang for the 7:30 class and i got 2 clean shots off a brown belt. yay!! (she's much quicker than me!) unfortunately, later on, she did a back hook kick and i charged in for some stupid reason and *bam* right smack on the head! :(

im sure later on ill get another proud moment that'll top the 1st proudest moment in my tkd "career".

kudos to your 3000th post, Kinjiro Tsukasa !!!! (man, i got a kajillion more to go to top that off! obviously, you have more spare time than i do :D)

18. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

I've been here longer, too! :D

Great responses so far, folks -- keep them coming! :)

19. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Hmm. Hard to choose. Hard to choose. There's three moments that stand out strongly in my mind. One is when some new people joined the class so that I wasn't the newest person anymore. The difference between my movements and their movements was dramatic, and I realized just how much I'd improved over the years. Made me feel really really good about my progress.

And then there was that one test (which rank was it?) when 99% of my classmates told me, "Dude, that was the best test I've ever seen!"

And then there was that time when I was doing a knife flow drill with a partner, and together we stepped into a Zen moment. Time stopped, everything stopped. It was just the moment, and the drill. It was eternity in an instant. I heard the sound of one hand clapping and all that jazz. My friend was standing across the room watching us. He said that he noticed a change in us as we were flowing. Something changed, and it was very, very cool.

And my family wonders why I enjoy the martial arts. Ha! Isn't it obvious?

20. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

I guess my proudest moment was when I realised that no one can tell me what martial arts should be for me. When I took control of the direction that I wanted to go and stopped allowing myself to be spoonfed a constant diet of someone else's philosophies and beliefs. Deciding to carve out my own path in the martial arts as opposed to doing what I was told was the 'best' way to train.