Your opnion on this recent comp decision?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by slipthejab, Dec 25, 2007.

1. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

One of the fellas I roll with on a regular basis just came back from training with Brazilian Top Team down in Rio. Ze Marcelo is one his bro's and so he had an invitation to come down for some time and just hang out in Rio... and of course roll if he wanted to. In fact he did roll... every day for twice a day. He said the quality of the instruction in Brazil was superb and the attitude was far more aggressive and pro active than what we have in Hong Kong. Here in Hong Kong we have bucket loads of politics between the two or three schools we have here... so no one really rolls against anyone else on a regular basis. So that can be a drag.

For my bro in the video... he's a monster physically. 6'3" and 110kg.. ex pro rugby player (Harbor, NZ) and just an all out aggressive, fearless dude with a high pain tolerance and maybe... a screw or two lose. But hey we love the guy... and as a mate he'd give you the shirt off his back or jump into a pack of scimitar wielding assassins to help you out. All highly admirable traits in mate to be sure. :)

However... because I have to roll with him and he's a fair bit bigger than me (I'm 6'2" 90kg) and I ain't never played no rugby often times he can simply power through any technique I try. In one of your free for all rolling sessions I managed to take him down and keep here there long enough to get my belt off and around his neck like a garrot and put everything I had into choking him (yes I know it's not a legal move)... he didn't so much as blink... actually he laughed and then reversed me and collar choked me. :(

At any rate... because he's so naturally strong and aggressive... he's got trouble finding anyone to roll with. There just aren't any other guys rolling at that size and strength level in Hong Kong. So on the way back from Rio he stopped off for the competition in the Philippines... and one of the bouts became a bit of a problem. Watch the vid where he is disqualified and then read the bit posted by the referee of the match. Let me know what you think - let me know what you think about the decision and post by the referee:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1ArzCZULEs"]Submission #227 - Dean Thompson vs Cipriano Madayag - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2007
  2. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

He was given plenty of warnings. It's hard to see the apparent gouges on the vid though. Also never talk back to the referee, it's very unproffesional. I think he did the right thing.

3. rubberband

rubberband Valued Member

Your mate didn't out right gouge... he was actually disqualified for a fair cross face that was clean in my opinion...

I think the ref had seen your friends hands near the other guys eyes enough and felt like he was being ignored. your friend didn't stop bringing his hands near the opponents eyes and keeping his palms toward the opponent made eye gouges possible...

some advice for your friend... never turn your palm toward your opponents face when working the head... use the back of the hand because the fingers can't curl toward the eyes and there is no danger of eye gouge... after the ref's warnings your friend didn't stop bringing his fingers near the other guys eyes... work the chin more for getting the head up...

hope this helps, steve

4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I didnt see any eye gouging, however the Ref has a better view than all of us.
    The last gouge that the vid put so much emphasis on, I thought was a dodgy call.
    To me he was just working hard for a cross face, he had the back position anyway and was clearly dominating so their would have been no reason to for an eye gouge.

I been proper eye gouged...my proof was my contact lens on the other bloke's pinky.

5. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

A) Whoever posted that vid needed to dump the music. I can't say whether or not the dude was being disrespectful or not over the crap he chose to play over the vid!

B) Eyes are tricky. Looking at it from the angle of the vid, reasonable minds could differ about whether or not it was dangerous. I suspect, however, that by the third time the ref saw this he had enough. Of course it's not like the bottom guy was leaving your buddy too many options. Geez, move!

C) Reasonable minds can also differ about "mouthing off" to refs, tbh. I had a ref tell me point blank he'd rather I stand up for myself if I didn't agree with his decision. That was after I did so ;)