Your Opinions

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by slacker, Oct 15, 2009.

1. slacker

slacker Valued Member

On This fight...

[​IMG]

2. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Jumpy uppy downy kickboxing flicky points fight where the boy in red gloves annoyingly puts his hand up when he thinks he has scored.

I hate that kind of thing.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Kickboxing my butt!

4. Moi

This is why I never lump kickboxing into the realistic fight sports like boxing, muay thai, judo, BJJ & MMA. Too many variables.

A beginners kickboxing fight should have a degree of contact in my opinion

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w5JFFY6HYM&feature=related"]YouTube - robin rosalski vs dewi round 2[/ame]

I'm guessing (due to yellow belt) 6 months experience in the first video. Same length of time training for Robin in the 2nd.

5. slacker

slacker Valued Member

Moi, did you think the scoring was fair?

6. Moi

Are they ever? The fighter with the red gloves. I'm assuming that's his instructor awarding him all the points as a judge?

7. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

Looked like Semi Contact to me (points fighting), scoring wasnt great on either side to be honest. And with that kind of fighting you need to have a center ref and two judges and majority rules always.

8. d0ugbug

Also if you training to be a full contact fighter beginner you really need to be looking at entering nothing lower than Light contact (continuos fighting) not points

9. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Sorry not sure if its you in there... but it's dire. Kicks with zero conviction. Low guards. Punching with not very much snap. Seriously. That type of technique will get you KTFO is you step it up to anything that has full contact. Not a singe one of those kicks would have stopped anyone in their tracks.

If it is you in there... and you're young and have quick reflexes... move your game up a notch. Tippy tappy stuff just really isn't going to do much for you. You need to be able to execute strong solid technique under the fear of pain. Not just standing in there and trading love taps. Only then are you going to know if your game is sound.

One thing I really don't like about that format is the no ropes or corner to get worked into. Not really much of a chance to deal with a certain type of pressure. If you can't work you man into a corner or get worked into one by yourself... then you are missing out on a big element of the fight game.

10. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I used to do "points" and it took me a good while to change my technique, glad I did though. Still have the odd bad habit from it but it really taught me nothing when I started doing heavier contact.

11. d0ugbug

You didnt start hoping over on one foot did you doing flicky side kicks, did you? ;)

12. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Lol when when I started thai boxing my kru immediately guessed what I had done previously even though I tried hiding it as had been trying to drop it.

Luckily these days my guard stays firmly up! I do enjoy hitting people who just drop their guard right on the nose when I get chance these days.

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I wouldn't call the first video kickboxing. I wouldn't call the second video kickboxing, either.

To me, the first video is called generic point fighting. The second is Muay Thai or modified Muay Thai.

Gum shield, gloves, box and foot protectors is what a kickboxer should wear. Punches, kicks - maybe even hip throws - but no kicks below the belt. Keep it continuous, keep it full contact.

14. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

why have freaking helmets and big gloves when it's no contact?

15. slacker

slacker Valued Member

No it was not me, but someone else i train with (in the black/yellow). It was a WUMA event, point fighting under semi-contact rules, granted it wasnt very strong kicks but it was his first fight and one of the rules is if you draw blood then you are disquallified might of made that decision.

I may be biased but to me the point scoring was not very fair.

16. d0ugbug

Was that the one held last month?

17. slacker

slacker Valued Member

Yes, the Deadly International Open

18. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I used to be part of WUMA ,went to a couple of comps but there were some really bad decisions, all because of the nature of points fighting. All the "strikes" are quick and dont land so points get awarded and not awarded when they shouldnt be.
    My old sifu struggled a bit remembering it wasnt continuous and he couldnt take people down so nearly got disqualified :D

19. d0ugbug

I was going to go to that but I stupidly held my own event on the same day! They are normally decent events refing is good as well but they are long days!! If you go along to any in the future PM me ill say hi :)

20. slacker

slacker Valued Member

Were hoping to go to AIMAA in scotland next year, hopefully it will be my first tournament aswell.