Your Muay Thai Lesson

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by TheGunslinger, Sep 4, 2004.

1. TheGunslinger

TheGunslinger New Member

Hello I'm thinking about studying Muay Thai and would like to know what you all do in a typical lesson from the moment you arive to the moment you leave. Please discuss..........

2. redbull

redbull New Member

3 rounds of jump rope
    4-5 rounds of shadow boxing
    4-5 rounds drills with parner (ex. parner throws jab low kick u block and anwer with right cross left jook right uppercut left low kick right knee.), or clinch sparring.
    3-4 rounds with bag work or pad work.
    either a 2 or 3 mile run, 60 puch-ups, 300 sit-ups, 50 squats.

sparring once a week.

3. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

similar to that. rounds are usually 2-3 minutes depending on the gym, for us its I think 2.5 (honestly cant remember)
    jab=1
    cross=2
    hook=3
    uppercut=4
    easier than typing them out every time

3 rounds skipping
    2 rounds shadow boxing
    100 roundhouse off each leg
    50 knees off each leg
    100x1,2, 100x3, 100x4 with a partner
    then we do a line drill, where one person holds the pads and walks up and down the length of the room with the other person, stopping every step to do a combination, 2 times up and down the length of the class= 1,2,1, then 1,2,3, then 2,3,2.

thats the "solid" routine we do every lesson, after that we usually go through several patterns- combinations with a partner. for example, the second pattern is
    1. front kick, 1-2-3, roundhouse
    2. rear leg front kick, switch kick (a roundhouse with the lead leg), 1-2-3 roundhouse
    3. jab, clinch, 2xknee, twist, 2xknee, push away

after this we usually gear up for some sparring, depending on how much time there is. we also do 20 crunches and ten press ups in between each set, and finish off with usually 300+ crunches, 5x20 press ups, and some stretching.

4. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

That's a lot of push ups

5. Anonymouse

Anonymouse Guitar wielding maniac

Same here pretty much, only we do timed pushups/crunches.

We warm up with either 10 minutes of jumprope or something equivalent in cardio to that. Then 2-3 minutes of crunches. Pushups vary, sometimes we do a pyramid, or just 3 sets of 30 seconds, what ever the instructor is feeling like that day. Then either 3 sets of 25 squats or 2 sets of 2 minutes. Then a bunch of stretching. Then what ever other the instructor wants to throw in. Thats about it for the warm up, about a half hour.

As for drilling, we start out with 2 minutes of jabs, 2 minutes of crosses, 2 minutes of lead hooks, 2 minutes of round kicks. Then we work on combos and then some defense drills (like block a round kick, return with a 1 2). We dont spar yet (we just started out and most of the guys are pretty new when it comes to ma, especially striking). Then I usually challenge someone to wrestle or something. Class is usually about 2-2.5 hours and for a while there someone would usually end up puking :)

6. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

lots of repetition, combinations, drills, screaming and crying, etc etc.

7. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

stretch 5-10 minutes
    2 rds shadowboxing
    4-6 rds thai pads
    1 min pushups
    1 min crunches

8. veer

veer New Member

3 days a week with 15-20 people training each class

- arrive 20-30 min prior to class in order to change & then stretch

- when class begins, we drop to a kneeling position in two rows & we meditate for 1-2 min to separate the outside world from our training

- 2-4 rounds of shadow boxing

- 2-4 two min rounds of 4 kicks anywhere with partner (switch back & forth w/partner)

- 4 rnds of Thai pads

- 4 rnds of shield work

- 4 rnds of mitts

- 4 rnds of heavy bag

- 2 rounds of shadow boxing

- end class by meditation for 1-2 min

- then sparring begins (last 15-20 min)

- stretch/shoot the breeze/go home (some people work out after training, however, I lift 4 days a week on non Thai training days.)

9. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

warm up
    mild conditioning; squats, push ups, crunches
    drills
    pad work
    new tecniques
    clinch work
    sparring
    ..the end

varies from week to week though.

My t shirt is always soaked by the end and I go though a litre of water during a lesson. The only easy day was yesterday.