Your Hapkido

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Korpy, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Here's the thread where all Hapkidoists can come and talk about themselves, what they're doing, and what's going on at their school. Every Hapkidoist is encouraged to speak up. :)

So I'll start.

My name here at MAP, but my real name is Corey.

I just start Hapkido a little over a month ago. (6 weeks I believe)

I love it so much.

Well right now I'm a whitee belt, but I have recieved a red stripe. (at my school we must get a certain amount of stripes before we can test for our next belt)

I am practicing for my next stripe.

I just got my friend into martial arts, he does Taekwondo. (we're always feuding about which art is better and who can beat who :D )

My family and friends are impressed, and I am proud of myself, because of a major reason.

At my school, no one can learn Hapkido unless you're 16 or over.

They let me in when I was 14, I am 15 now.

They made an exception, because they said I am mature for my age, and also they said they thought it would suit me. When I first went to the school, I was actually gonna do Taekwondo, but after taking a free class in both, I found out that I like Hapkido more.

What's up with you and your training?

2. Kimbie

Kimbie New Member

Alrighty. My name is Kim or Kimberly. It doesn't really matter. I've had a MAP name for awhile, but i was still a newbie at MA at that time, so i didn't have a lot to contribute. But now, I know some stuff... not a lot, but more than before :).

I started my MA life with Aikido about 4 years ago when i was 15 and i'm still loving it. I wanted to try something a little more intense and more physically challenging, so started Hapkido about 5 months ago and i just got my yellow belt about a month ago.

I scheduled my work schedule around my MA training and it's working out quite awesomely. Work in the mornings, Hapkido in the afternoons and Aikido in the evenings. Oh, and the constant physical abuse i endure from my brother at home. Does that count as MA training?? I learn a little Kung Fu from him.

My friends and family are proud of me, too. They always make jokes about me being their bodyguard, even though most of them are twice my size.

Cross training is super fun. Whenever my Aikido buddies get smart with me, i throw in a Hapkido pressure point or kick. It puts them back in line :) .

Well, that's me!

3. Legless_Marine

Legless_Marine Banned Banned

Hey Corey,

I'm glad to hear you chose HKD over TKD. I think in the long run you will see it is a better decision.

I am surprised, however, as I remember you trying to choose, and it really looked like you were learning towards TKD upon the recommendations of your friend who takes TKD.

What ultimately made you choose HKD over TKD?

4. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I will tell you, and thank you for asking.

Well it started by talking to a member at MAP. His name is Thomas.

After that I went to the school, and scheduled 2 trial lessons. 1 for Hapkido, 1 for Taekwondo.

I took the HKD trial class and instantly fell in love with HKD. I talked with my instructor and he told me all about HKD. I said that I probably will do HKD, cause I felt a connection. He said from my answers (I filled out a questions sheet) he believed I would choose HKD.

I took TKD trial class, was tlked to all about TKD. I liked TKD very much, but the it did not feel as HKD felt.

So I signed up with HKD and haven't looked back yet, and don't plan too.
    :)

5. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Nice idea for a post

(I haven't updated my journal lately but that has a pretty good running commentary of what we do)

At this stage of my studies I am trying to focus on becoming a better teacher of the core concepts. For my personal learning I am focusing on the cane and on some Hankido principles (as well as applying the softer Hankido principles to the harder Combat Hapdkio technqiues... fun!)

6. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Thank you. I want this to become a big thread. :) :cool:

7. iron_ox

iron_ox Jungki Kwan Midwest

Hapkido in Chicago...

Hello all,

Well, after 4 months of real work, one of Chicago, Illinois premiere dojang is back at full speed (if I say so myself - please don't be offended - I am not being that serious).

Some background: I started training in 1979 - when I was 14 - was actually thinking about Ving Tsun - but Hapkido got to me first...

I have been teaching semi-pro for over 20 years, and loved every minute of it. Full time teaching since 1995. My senior student has been with me since 1989, and is a very competent instructor in his own right - good job Doug.

I have had the chance to train and teach on 5 continents, and with some of the best instructors in the world. Strangest place I ever did teaching was in a Bedouin camp 90 miles east (I think) of Merrekesh, Morocco. The topic came up because my baseball hat had a guy doing a kick on it...so, with no common language at all, I taught a few simple wrist techniques to about 6 men in a tent near an oasis - very surreal - got a cool camel blanket and a dagger for my lesson - stil on the wall of my office.

An interesting factoid about the new dojang is this: Go and find a copy of the very first Steven Seagal movie - Above the Law - and watch the opening scene where he goes into the bar to find his niece(?) and then goes upstairs and grabs her out of bed - remember that? Well, my new dojang is that bar!!! Now converted and a lot cleaner (two full semi loads of trash hauled out during the first month of cleanup alone), it still is a point of interest in the commmunity - many of whom were in the film - and now a real martial arts school in in that location! How awesome is that?

We have classes (I teach them all) 7 days a week - open all year except major holidays. I train 2 hours per day - except Saturday, when I get to sleep in until 8:30 AM (generally up by 5:30 most days).

Anyone in Chicago should feel free to come by for a throw or two.

I am a very proud member of the Jung Ki Kwan, and its Mid-West Representative.

www.chicagohapkido.com

8. mixmastersenior

mixmastersenior Valued Member

Hi, my name is Peter. I live in northern Colorado near Ft Collins. I began training in Martial arts in 1974. Back then, there was only one Martail arts school of any kind north of Denver, An ITF style TKD school. I enjoyed it very much. Very traditional. Knuckle pushups on a tile floor and that sort of thing. I stayed there until HS graduation. I left MA for a while to join the service and go to college. I got back into it in the mid 80s in Denver with a Different TKD school. This one was USTU. I was amazed at how TKD had changed and had become more sport oriented, but I stuck with it. Finally, in 1995, I started looking for something else. something more self defense oriented. I had always liked the idea of using the cane as a weapon. It looks harmless, legal to carry. I knew that Hapkido taught cane techniques but there were no Hapkido schools in Denver. Fortunately, I met Steve Materkowski, a TKD Instructor who had studied Hapkido in the Bay area. He had just become the State Director for the ICHF. I started visiting His school and practicing with his students. I absolutely fell in love with Hapkido. I have been with Master Materkowski ever since. I still practice TKD, but I'm starting to get a liitle old to keep up with these 17 year old junior olympians. (I tore a leg muscle doing Juche a few years ago, those of you in TKD know what I'm talking about). Now I spend most of my Martial Arts time teaching and introdicing others to the art I love.