Your grading system?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Slindsay, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Hi everyone, I thought I'd start a thread about this as I was curious to hear other people's experiences with this.

I'm a member of the BJA (I think :D), at my club when we want to grade we have to take a theory test which is administered by our instructor but is really pretty simple, you have to remember the names of a few throws, some of the rules about Judo and some groundwork and that's it.

After we do this we have to go to a grading, hand in our licence and then we fight other people at a similar belt and weight to us, if we win, we go up a belt, if we lose nothing happens. Typically we get 2-3 fights each time.

Once we get to 1st kyu you have to accumulate 100 points by fighting and beating other browns at gradings, 10 points for a clean win, 7 for winning by less than ippon. If you win 2 fights in a row at a grading then you get a line up of three other browns and fight them one after the other and if you beat all three you get your black.

So is this the same way you guys do it or is it vastly different?

2. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

Well i'm with BJA so its the same. But one thing, in the earlier belts (e.g. yellow, orange etc.) or if its your first grading, even if you lose your fights you may still go up one belt, especially if they weren't particularly fair fights. I think this is mainly when not many people show up, and for instance they can't do fair match ups so a 120lbs yellow belt fights a bunch of 170lbs+ blue/brown belts. Thats obviously an extreme example.

3. Lucius

Lucius Valued Member

Can I just add here, I got my shodan via lineup last October.
    A very tiring experience.

Anyway, thats how Judo Scotland clubs do things too, but then Judo Scotland is in the BJA...

4. RandomTriangle

RandomTriangle Valued Member

i heard my instructor talking about back when he received his black belt you had to accumluate 10 points (and take a written test, etc..).

But you only got points for winning The Nationals (3 for first, 2 for second, 1 for thrid) and a once a year "in house tournament."

He trained under Ishikawa.

There's more i forget... i just remember it sounding like the harshest way to rank.

5. shadowgirl

shadowgirl New Member

I'm with Judo scotland, Ive been a 1st Kyu for 3 nearly 4 years now, In that time ive went to loads of gradings just to get sent home because no other 1st Kyu woman turned up, So i am stuck a Brown belt untill i get 1st Kyu woman to fight, i still need another 80 points, I think its time Judo scotland changed their rules a bit. In wrestling there was no woman for me to fight so i was allowed to fight the guys, maybe its something Judo Scotland could think about :D
    Sometimes im traveling 2-3 hours from home.. just to come home again!

6. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Aww that's a bit unfair. In our JJ school, gender isn't an issue when we grade. I've had a 6'4 15 stone man as my partner for one test.