Your four most used throws

Discussion in 'Judo' started by munkiejunkie, Apr 23, 2005.

1. munkiejunkie

munkiejunkie sanity's requiem

It has been said that most judokas use four throws most often. What are your four most used? Mine are: Seoi Otishi, O goshi, Tani Otoshi, and Sode Tsuri Komi Goshi.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2005
  2. GB_Ronin

GB_Ronin Valued Member

Okuri ashi hari, Uchi mata, O soto gari, Ashi guruma

3. Captain_Coward

Captain_Coward Ne-Waza Worm

Drop Kata-Guruma, Drop Ippon Seoi-Nage, Drop Morote seoi-nage, sasae-tsuri-komi-ashi.

K

4. munkiejunkie

drop ippon and drop morote are both variations of seoi otoshi

5. Captain_Coward

6. •harai-maki komi
    •o-goshi
    •drop ippon seoi-nage
    •tani-otoshi

7. xen

xen insanity by design

capn' coward;

cheers for the links to that site!!!

did judo years ago and train in ninjutsu now, i'd forgotten half those throws existed (and never came accross many of them, i was a kid when i trained) but now i'm full of all sorts of ideas of how to incorporate some of them into my ninjutsu training.

hehehe, can't wait till weds night training now!!!

when i did train, my four were;

uchi-mata

tai-otoshi

osoto-gari

morote-seonage

8. Captain_Coward

Not a problem m8, Thats a great site everyone should have a look around it.

K

9. GrappleorWrestle

GrappleorWrestle Valued Member

Osoto Gari
    Ouch Gari
    Kouchi Gari
    Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi

those are the 4 we usually practice. we have a throw series with these 4 and they flow into each other quite well.

10. munkiejunkie

The way I was taught, drop morote seoi nage and drop ippon seoi nage are very similar to seoi otoshi

11. benkei

benkei Valued Member

Uchi mata
    Tani otoshi
    Ko uchi gari
    Tai otoshi

12. mhyst

mhyst New Member

I'm jujutsu not judo but:
    - yoko otoshi
    - tai otoshi
    - o goshi
    - morote gari

13. Captain_Coward

hhmm, you could be getting confused here cause they all share similar things. The Position of your grop for seoi-Otoshi is the same as for Morote Seoi-Nage however your lower body and the way in which you throw your Uke is the same as Ippon Seoi-Nage. That could be were the confusion has arisen.

K

14. GB_Ronin

GB_Ronin Valued Member

Great sites Cap ; but I think as far as the offical classification of Waza goes you can’t beat the source itself:

http://www.kodokan.org/e_waza/index.html#tewaza

Here we see that Ippon Seoi Nage exists as a named technique but only since 1997 but is not included in the Goyko as it was considered as a variation on Seoi Nage (Morote Seoi Nage) as Eri Seoi Nage still is.

Seoi Otoshi exists as a named technique and was included in the original Gokyo created in 1895, it then was then removed from the Gokyo in the revised version in 1920.

Any “drop” technique is only a variation on the officially named technique.

15. Captain_Coward

Hmm Ronin, I think we are in agreement here but i am not sure, but if i work with what you are saying then Both Drop Ippon Seoi-Nage and Drop Morote Seoi-Nage would both be variations on Morote Seoi-Nage, which they clearly they are, differing only by grip. I agree on that.

But there is no relation to seoi-otoshi beyond the grip, certainly in the way i was taught it. The Kuzushi is clearly different for Seoi-Otoshi and Seoi-Nage, as well as the tsukuri. I am not sure if you are agreeing here with me or not.

K

Last edited: Apr 24, 2005
  16. DeepFreeze

DeepFreeze Lurker

- Ippon seoi nage
    - Soto maki komi
    - Ko uchi maki komi
    - drop kata guruma

They do complement each other quite nicely, but are hellish to pull out. Since they all concentrate on the same spot, it's difficult when you know your opponent.
    Been looking for alternate techniques for a while now, but I am merely starting to interpret it into my training.

17. BRECKDOG

BRECKDOG Valued Member

I like the fact that in Judo different throws work for different people. I am 6 4 and at first struggled with alot of traditional throws eg. I quickly realised seoi nage was near impossible for me and do my back in-
    Top 4: Sumi Gaeshi, ostoto gari (dynamic variation), Hiza Guruma and harai Goshi

18. GB_Ronin

GB_Ronin Valued Member

Absolutely Capitan; although I must say that compared to the video in the link, that the right knee would be a lot nearer the mat when performing Seoi Otoshi. The Uke in the link always has his heels squarely planted on the ground for all three throws, so we can’t see too much the difference in the Kuzushi.

I believed O Soto Gari was always dynamic when it worked ;)

19. JeetKunDo

JeetKunDo Valued Member

Osoto Gari
    Tai otoshi
    Soto Maki Komi
    Morote Gari

I miss Judo, I haven't been for a while. I should really get back their.

20. BRECKDOG

BRECKDOG Valued Member

(dynamic osoto is a non traditional technique- its more a competition technique where you throw at 45degrees via a lunge leg hook.)