Your fight style?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Southpaw535, Aug 9, 2009.

1. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

South : 1 out of 5 isnt bad i guess ;)

Moi : lol I want to have a go against him next time at stand up only...

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

lol well I tried :D
    If you manage the map meet mate I'm sure we can fit it in somewhere. Think we should have done it when I was up there at least you weren't 100% then.

3. Shotofan

Shotofan Byakko (the wyte tygur)

I am mostly a stander, myself! About the only ground fighting I do is when only the other person is!

4. KiddReige

KiddReige The Six Samurai-Zanji

I prefer being in the clinch or on the ground. I'm really not a big striker, and I need to work on that... A LOT. Got wrecked in my first fight because of it. But if I can make it to the ground, I'm pretty good.

5. Shotofan

Shotofan Byakko (the wyte tygur)

Yeah, I'm a striker... FO SHO!!! And I like performing breaks on different bones. Although I do know a bit of joint manipulation that I do like using when the opportunity presents itself: jacket grabs, neck grabs, even after blocking and oncoming strike (far less often than the others). Other than that, I'm either punchin', kickin', or doin' somethin' to break a bone or dislocate something. However, I finds take-downs to be very satisfying! (just the ones that still leave me standin')

6. Ninja Monkey

Ninja Monkey Valued Member

^.^ Right Faint to the face Front kick to the chen or chest then kick there feet from under them and they go booom on the ground

7. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Hmmm good question. Well on the ground I am a bit like a limpett. I try and stay close, and use speed, as I'm usually against stronger opponents (no other girls etc etc). I just move as much as possible looking for the sub, I'm definitely not a defensive grappler. I like subs such as brabo, getting them in cradle then going for the brabo or hopping over into mount and getting a guillotine from there. I also use north/south a fair bit and am trying to work the monson a fair bit. I find that working the neck/upper body of my opponent works for me as I do struggle to control much stronger arms.
    I normally don't like working from my back but after concentrating on it recently I am really liking butterfly guard- my aim against bigger guys is not to get caught on my back in mount so I will try and regain guard where possible, or not end up in side control either as my ribs are vulnerable to weight.

Standing up I like working at close range ,being smallish. I'm not a great kicker but I do catch a lot of my opponents kicks and work for the take down. I tend to work my way in and then get in the clinch,look for the take down and then grapple/gnp.

I started boxing last night so hoping my hands get a lot better soon. Prefer using my hands though, not so confident with kicks but I do really like using my knees in the clinch.

8. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

What is it with you women and knees. Evil creatures:)

9. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Lol, forgot to mention elbows too, I like elbows as mine are very pointy.

I am sparring much more now, it's really pushing me hard.

10. Southpaw535

Cheers for the answers.
    Quick one for you though Lou. Isn't a guillotine from mount harder to get then going for an arm lock or a choke? Can't remember the name for the choke I mean but its just compression on the artery with your hand or forearm or whatever.
    Not criticising btw but i don't know a lot from mount so always trying to learn a few more ideas.

11. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

It's a goo done to go for if you already have the choke on and you need a better position. Ie I will get my arm round the neck in cradle, then they try moving onto their back so the brabo won't work ,I hop over into mount, flatten their legs out by getting my hooks in then put the choke on while putting my hips into it.
    I'm not great with arm locks tbh, I just don't work them enough. There's loads you can go for when you got them in a cradle hold ,tonnes of options if things go wrong.

I do love a bit of gnp if I can get mount though :D

12. Southpaw535

Yep! All the time I spent at bjj seemed pretty wasted once I was allowed to jsut elbow people a few times :p
    Cheers for the info!!

13. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

It's always a case of whatever works for you isn't it, what your strengths are and your own style. That's what I love about it :) Trying to work my bottom game, I don't get put on my back much but when I do it's usually because I am tired and then panic, but my instructor has been working my bottom game (hee hee) and it appears to be getting better :D

God,I LOVE training.

14. Southpaw535

Opposite to me then, my guard's probably the best thing I've got and I manage to find half pretty easily on my back its just finishing I struggle with, too timid. I still have a mindset that these gigantic mma fighters are going to care if I accidentaly kick them in the head going for a triangle :D

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  15. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I'll stay standing and sprawl when possible, I am rubbish at shooting so never really try. If it comes to a clinch I will go for a take down w leg sweeps usually. Coming from a SanDa/Judo background reflects this.

On the ground I usually end up in side control as this was a common position for my ground work in Judo, I'll happily gnp from side control but was working on transitions to mount and subs from there to widen my ground game.

and thats about all my style there is! which is why I need a hell of a lot more training once I get the time again! :D

16. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I love the shoot,though I hate ending up in a bloomin guillotine :D I even did a cool GSP sytle take down the other week, not repeated it since though.

17. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Yeh, its quite funny actually as there isnt really any clinch work in KF but the mechanics turned out to be the same (for me anyway)

I need to seriously work on my sprawling. I drill and drill and drill the sprawling, but I either forget, or when I do finally do it, I'm up against a really tough guy and he just powers through.

I end up mostly scrambling. Good for MMA but not good for wrestling as ending up on back = lose

18. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

I dislike landing in guillotine after a takedown primarily because it shows my takedown was a bit sloppy. I rarely find that the actual choke presents much of a problem.
    My coach actually likes people to try to guillotine him, because he knows several nasty counters. :evil:

19. Southpaw535

lol I used to have that problem with some woman I used to spar. I could dominate win standing and she could never pass my guard but every time I went for a takedown she'd get me in a guillotine :p

20. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I usually guillotine when my partner shoots but then lifts me up for a slam, it gives me that extra second to slap on the choke. Its when they actually slam is when I tighten the choke, the momentum just helps me that much more.

This is a common problem for me when I shoot, so I was taught to shoot from as close as possible as its harder to counter.