Your favourite taiji moves?

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by cloudz, Jan 7, 2005.

1. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Hey all,

Last night at class we were practicing some applications, and afterwards I was reflecting on how much I like 'raise hands'.
    So what are 3 of your favourite moves in your taiji, how you would use them and why do you like them.

Here's some of mine:
    (from yang style)

Raise Hands - so effective for such a simple movement. Relatively easy to learn and put into practice. very good defence against a straight punch. Can leave the attacker in a very vulnerable position to back of head/neck strikes if they are commited in their attack. If you put in the next bit we call 10% (from old yang style - not sure if its in ycf form) - its like a body twist(from hips/waist) - you can absorb some of the 'energy' and counter with the non contact hand very quicky and efficiently.

Wave hand like clouds - can be used to deflect/attack hook or straight punches using circular 'brushing' motion with edge of the palm to disrupt qi, as you pull the attack downward you simultaneously counter to neck area with an upper straight strike. I like the effectiveness and economy of movement with this one. The attacker would be pretty hard pressed to defend the strike due to the angle, I think it would be pretty hard to see it coming. As well as being a part of the form I really like, something about the shifting of the weight from side to side seems to get the energy really flowing around nicely - my forearm seems so full when I do the strike (first set cloud hands in old yang)

Fishes in eight - this is a deceptive looking movement in the form, for what does'nt look like all that much, it contains a fair few application. You have the initial yielding bit and transition phase, which is quite fun to practice. If someone comes flying at you with a really commited straight attack, the attacker can seem to go right past you quite effortlessly, If you don't want to hurt them you could push them on their way or use the elbow strike in there to strike them as they've just past possibly to the rear of their neck (pretty dangerous!) their also a couple of other strikes in the movement too for good measure, but I think I'll leave it there. In the form I like the way it trains the waist to move and the close in elbow ( elbows are propably my favourite attacking option) The way this one is done is very economic in its movement, an attacker could easily land on this as they come in to you - ouch! :eek:

Happy training

G

Ok come on fellow players lets hear some of yours, the more the merrier, it'd be great to learn of some new applications I don't practice.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2005
  2. Guo_Xing_Yi

Guo_Xing_Yi Valued Member

punching them to the floor.
    throwing them to the floor.
    either of the above, and they dont get up for at least 2 minutes!

:D

3. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi All,

From the 24 'Peking' form.

Opening move - application shown to me by Bruce Miller that kills opponent.

Snake creeps down - cross shoulder throw - can never remember the Judo name for it.

End of White Crane and Brush knee and push step - block, knock attacker unconscious and then just because 'I'm a BAD mother' kill them.

Tai Chi is really interesting as a health art and very very scary as a martial art - I always say that Karate is what I would use in a 'fair fight' Tai Chi is what I'd use if my life was at risk !

All the best.

Robert.

4. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Thanks Robert

Can you tell us more on the the snake creeps down throw, I know it was discussed on another thread but I struggled to get my head around how it works(i'll go re-read it anyway) and seeing as you know it as a judo throw also.

Any fighting has the potential to be very dangerous, people can be killed with many types of impact. Avoidence is number one, but I won't take chances either.

All the best

5. Wanderer

Wanderer Valued Member

1. Buddha's Warrior Pounding the mortar in Chen Tai Ji.

It consisted of all of the 13 postures: 8 Jin methods: Peng Lu Ji An Cai Lie Zhou Kao and 5 steps (Wu Bu): Jin Tui Gu Pan Ding.

2. Lazily tying coat and Single whip.

One is to the right. The other is to the left.

3. 6 closings and 4 sealings. (Liu Feng Si Bi).

:rolleyes:

6. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

Buddha?!

Who came up with that name in a Taoist martial art?

7. Shadowdh

Shadowdh Seeker of Knowledge

Perhaps it isnt as taoist as some people think...??!!

8. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

ssssh, there's a couple of teachers here secretly developing a Hindu cow form

9. Shadowdh

Shadowdh Seeker of Knowledge

LMAO... nice one...